Is running a spiritual experience for some?

21 to 40 of 55 messages
13/09/2012 at 11:33

“I believe in Spinoza's God who reveals himself in the orderly harmony of what exists, not in a God who concerns himself with fates and actions of human beings” - Albert Einstein.

Edited: 13/09/2012 at 11:33
13/09/2012 at 11:42

I think running will be a spiritual experience for those who are looking for places to stick the label "spiritual".

13/09/2012 at 12:03
MattDA wrote (see)

Some see that as somehow linked to a God, I just see it as the beauty of nature and a reminder of how lucky we are.

What's lucky about being stuck on a lump of mud planet, being born to spend your days wanting things you can't attain, and then dying soon to be forgotten and become worm food, for the chain to begin again?.

13/09/2012 at 12:03

Lardarse, I'm not going to get into any arguments. I believe, you don't and no matter what I say that will never change

As for spirituality it doesn't have to involve a God at all. Buddhism is very well know as a spiritual religion. However they do not believe in a God.

Sprituality is feeling connected to yourself. Being switched on and in tune with yourself. As runners I believe this is the case. You feel the road under your feet you feel your breathing you know when to have a drink or eat. You switch on and listen to your body, the niggles the aches etc Its very spiritual

Edited: 13/09/2012 at 12:18
13/09/2012 at 12:23

have you ever loved somebody or felt loved lardarse. Thats worth being on this planet for. Their are some amazing things around us trust me. My daughter. To see her happy thats worth being here for isn't it?

13/09/2012 at 12:30
lardarse wrote (see)

What's lucky about being stuck on a lump of mud planet, being born to spend your days wanting things you can't attain, and then dying soon to be forgotten and become worm food, for the chain to begin again?.

Well it'll keep the worms happy!

13/09/2012 at 12:38
Does the mud planet have oceans?.................Can't bear oceans
13/09/2012 at 12:45

Depending on what you believe Oceans were made on the first day but separated from the sky on the second day

13/09/2012 at 12:53
TheVicar wrote (see)

Lardarse, I'm not going to get into any arguments. I believe, you don't and no matter what I say that will never change

As for spirituality it doesn't have to involve a God at all. Buddhism is very well know as a spiritual religion. However they do not believe in a God.

Sprituality is feeling connected to yourself. Being switched on and in tune with yourself. As runners I believe this is the case. You feel the road under your feet you feel your breathing you know when to have a drink or eat. You switch on and listen to your body, the niggles the aches etc Its very spiritual

Being connected to myself is about being connected to myself. Not about spirituality.
Being switched on and in tune, is about being switched on and in tune. Not about spirituality.

We have words to describe 'connected', 'switched on', 'in tune'. Those words are 'connected', 'switched on', 'in tune'. No need for "spirituality" to attempt to establish squatters' rights over those terms. (Especially now the Tories have made squatting more difficult).

Trying to attach spituality to those terms is nothing more than a taxonomic land grab.

13/09/2012 at 12:55

On the other hand, for me, running often does involves some experience of spit-uality.

13/09/2012 at 13:00
thats just nothing more than a taxonomic land grab though
13/09/2012 at 13:01

But being connected switched on and in tune is spirituality. Religious spirituality is different to Non religious spiritualism.

My running is spiritual because it incorporates my beliefs into what I am doing and I see what I call my God all around. Its much easier to define spirituality as part of something religious.

Non religious spirituality which is what I think the OP and almost everybody on here means, is individualistic. The three above stated words pulled together can make an experience spiritual to somebody who is receptive to it. Whatever 'it' is. If you are not that way inclined the three words will be only be connected, switched on and in tune

13/09/2012 at 13:03

I think it is more to do with fulfilling a design. the human being is designed to be a transitory animal and when you are running at that just short of threshold speed,  a few miles in with everything warmed up and working nicely you get that feeling as though this is what you are meant to be doing, it is natural.

maybe that is why trail running feels better because you are doing what you are built to do in the place you were built to do it in, if that makes sense

13/09/2012 at 13:16

Spirituality is real to you because you define it as real.
Typically spirtuality wanders in when people do not think there is an explanation for the world around them. As we can see, we can talk in term of being connected etc. Those words describe a feeling perfectly well. We do not have to use a word like "spirituality" which has its roots in the supernatural, to describe that feeling.

There is no need for the supernatural when we have the natural all around us.

14/09/2012 at 11:49

Exactly, worm food.

@ the vicar:

No I don't want to argue, that wasn't and never is my intention on here, i'm just not as pc as some. I've nothing against your religion now it's grown up a little and become sanitised, your people no longer go to other countries and murder in the name of the Lord, unlike another more childish religion I could name.

Yes I have a daughter too, who obviously I love dearly, but it doesn't change the fact we're all going to die, and existance is a bit pointless, in fact having a daughter makes it worse, because now I feel sorry for her too, thanks for that! lmfao

14/09/2012 at 12:49

lardarse

Dont you say anything about them Muslims

As Christians we try to keep our killing to a minimal.

Without stating the obvious though. That's essentially why we have our faith. We believe something will happen to us after we die other than being eaten by worms and the likes. I cannot begin to tell you how many people find that comforting when they are losing a loved one. But you either believe or you don't. If you don't believe then you will think their is nothing and all is pointles. If you do have a little faith then you see things a bit more differently and have that slight glint of hope that their may be more. I dunno

14/09/2012 at 13:40

Somebody described spirituality as seeking the truth and conforming with it. (It may have been Giles Fraser and I have probably misquoted whoever it was).

But for me, that is exactly what I'm doing when I run, thinking about my form and my breathing. If I run as best my body can, that's an approach to truth which is a lot easier than doing it through prayer.  

As a Christian I do believe that prayer is the finest way. 

14/09/2012 at 15:58

I just find that the word "spirituality" is thrown around willy nilly by some and is a very loose, vague term that seems to encompass a load of different (vaguely bullshitty) things. Maybe it could be a useful term but the way it is used today pretty much renders it meaningless.

14/09/2012 at 16:35

Genuinely the only way spiritual can be used and made sense of is in religion. Non religious spirituality is hard to pinpoint

14/09/2012 at 18:57

Sorry Vicar, but religion is one of the bullshitty things I was referring to.

21 to 40 of 55 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.