Is Running Adictive When.......

21 to 39 of 39 messages
07/11/2009 at 18:15
I ran on holiday when we went to Butlins at Minehead, first time i went out, i got lost and what turned out to be a gentle plod a long the front of the promanade up and back and thinking this aint far enough i took a few turns and ended up getting lost round Minehead, i think i just about covered the whole town,  I got talkin to a red coat that evening, who turns out to be a runner and she found it funny, a couple days later i decided having woken up early as the walls of these challets are so thin to go for another run, i had gone about a kilometre and felt a tap on my shoulder as i stopped to stretch, was the same redcoat who i had spoken to the night previous, she then acompanied me on my run, didn't get lost.
07/11/2009 at 19:58
On Fridays I cycle the 12.5 miles to work then run home, needless to say my workmates and wife think I'm mad.
07/11/2009 at 21:59

I've tried this but generally find that the bike's top tube wears a hole in my shoulder on the way home.  It's a bit easier to ride it back instead. 

07/11/2009 at 22:18

I used to drop hire vans / cars back to a garage 12 miles away and then run home - the company would've picked them up from my house / work and they had a depot only 6 miles away.  They always looked at me funny when I walked in dressed inmy running kit. 

I've also taken my dog on the bus just so I can take her for a walk in a different place.  She loves it, especially on the top deck (but only if she can sit up the front). 

07/11/2009 at 22:22

"Also whenever my car needs to go in for service or other work I'll drive it there and run home, then run back to fetch it when it's ready"

I do this too, Ultra The people in the garage don't half give me some funny looks!

10/11/2009 at 09:06
I prefer getting a train or bus somewhere and run home, that way I have to do the full distance.  I really hate doing 'there and backs' - seeing the same scenary twice is boring - unless I close one eye the whole time!!
10/11/2009 at 09:52
ha - you should do what my missus did once when I was training for my 1st Ironman...

I broke a wheel spoke on a long bike ride and had to stop as the wheel was knackered - this was about 10 miles from home so I called "international wife rescue" to come and get me.......she duly arrived, we loaded the bike into the car and she then threw me my running shoes - "you can run home from here" - and drove off.......

in hindsight she was right as it was a good training session

this weekend (weather dependant) she's dropping me off so I can do a 30 mile run home over the South Downs as training for a 45 miler I have coming up. she'll head off to go mountain biking around the half way point so will be on hand in case I need assistance at any point - that way she'll also get some bike training in as well
11/11/2009 at 23:31

I often run home from work (but it's only five miles).   My OH used to drive me somewhere depending on distance I was trying to achieve and leave me to run back home.  He's poorly now so I have to run round in circles again.

In the 70s I was fortunate enough to live in New York and I lived on East 35th Street.  I used to run to  Greenwich Village, have a donut and orange juice and run back home again.  There was only one type of ladies running shoe - Nike Signorita.  White with a red tick.  Happy days.

12/11/2009 at 19:26

Hubby and I drove to a reservoir about 20 (ish) miles away and ran around it. It was the first time we'd done 8 miles ever and decided a circular route around the reservoir would stop any cheating.... no short cuts.

It made a change and was a bit more hilly than we're used to.

We've also driven to Heacham and run into Hunstanton and back, it's not far, so tried to do it twice and discovered the impact of concrete sea defences on the legs and feet. Won't do that more than once again!!

Been trying to find some well lit evening routes to run from home as the local country park is off the menu except at weekends.

14/11/2009 at 17:52
All the time as I have no car!  I too hate out and backs and there are some good linear routes between railway stations as well and did LSR mara training that way, along canal banks which are often on railway lines and try to make sure the end point is near a pub too.  Often get the bus to Harrogate or Wetherby and run back to Leeds on trails.
17/11/2009 at 12:57

In the past I got the bus to work and run home after work. Does that count?

At the moment, I am training for VLM and my short run days haven't got up to the 7 miles, so I walk home on my x-training days. Some time next year, my short run days will be over 7 miles so will consider running home from work then. Or I might continue to walk as good x-training.

17/11/2009 at 14:28
Sam Panther wrote (see)

In the past I got the bus to work and run home after work. Does that count? 

Cozee wrote (see)

I often run home from work (but it's only five miles).  

I run after work 2 times a week.  On a direct route its only 3.5 miles, but last week my run after work was 9.5m.  I find the key to maintaining this is to have different routes (mine vary from 5 to 10 miles) and remember you aren't really running home, you are going for a run which just happens to finish at home.

03/12/2009 at 10:23
I just heard Wilf Self on the radio talking about his airport walks.  He's walked from central London to Heathrow.  Walked from JFK to Manhattan and other airport to city routes.   This could be an interesting concept for a long distance runner (but not me of course)
03/12/2009 at 15:08
.......you carry a memory stick around with you with your MicroSoft Excel Running Log spreadsheet on it.
03/12/2009 at 15:29

Whilst training for the Devil o the Highlands i would take the train to a stop 20 miles from home, as the crow flies, but about 35 by the time i visited any points of interest along the way.

My thinking is, if its 20 miles to get home i have no choice but to run it, if i'm feeling good then i can make the route more interesting and extend the run. I take any oppertunity i can to run somewhere different as this keeps it interesting and me motivated. 

03/12/2009 at 15:30

Running is addictive...

When you're walking, and wonder what your pace per mile is.

When you climb 10 flights of stairs instead of taking the lift, to get your legs up to lactate threshold.

When you go on holiday to a hot country, you take your running gear because "It'll be good to get some hot weather training in."

When the only reason you're recognized in Halls is because "You're that runner dude."

When you become friends with people that you've only ever seen at races.

When the people at your local running shop recognize you on sight, because you're in there so often.

When this is your most commonly visited website

07/12/2009 at 17:01

When you can easily convert km into miles and vice versa

When you encourage newbies to do a 5k because it's only 3 miles.

15/12/2009 at 11:52
I once caught the train to a station 12 miles from home because I kept wimping out of long runs. Took no money with me so had no choice but to keep going. Also was going out in the evening which meant that I had to keep up a decent pace. Even so it took me about 2 hours but it was worth it.
15/12/2009 at 20:41
This sounds like a good idea! I think I am going to struggle with motivation when my 'long' runs need to start getting longer. I like the 'get a train and no money' plan!

I keep my horse about 8 miles from home, and was thinking that when I get up to that sort of distance I may run back from the yard to home after riding at a weekend. Would either need to get husband to drop me off or take me back for car later. Or actually, seeing as we tend to go up together a lot anyway, and are both training for the same half marathon, maybe one of us could drive the car there and run back, and the other could run there and drive back! Or we could drive up and run back together and then go back for the car later as we have 2 cars!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 39 of 39 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.