Is Running Adictive When.......

1 to 20 of 39 messages
06/11/2009 at 12:29
Last night we (Me & The Wife) were sat watching the tv and the conversation got onto was i going on a training run this morning, i said yes, i'm thinking of getting the bus into Tamworth and then running back via various points using the Tamworth to Polesworth Canal and various roads, You need help she replied, why can't you just do a route around where we live, i want to do something different, a different route, i used the site over at our friends over at Fetch to plan my 8.5 miles, and this morning she say your mad,So i was just wondering if anyone here has caught the bus, train or so on to a certain point i.e town, city or village then ran back, and most of all am i addicted to running.
06/11/2009 at 12:36

I drove to Hunstanton once which is about 50 miles from home and then ran back along the Norfolk coast path, had to then get my dad to take me back via car the next day to pick up my car. Also got the train to Great yarmouth and ran back to Norwich before.

sounds like you are addicted

06/11/2009 at 12:37
Yup.  Caught the tram in Sheffield to its terminus, went for a 12m run around the Loxley Valley in Sheffield then caught the tram back.  Brilliant. Though what the other people waiting for the tram back thought of the half naked runner is another issue (I changed into a fresh top when i finished) .
06/11/2009 at 13:01
I often travel for 50mins by train then bus to run around Richmond park. (In the summer leaving home before 6am) Nothing wrong with that. 
06/11/2009 at 13:22

I've often thought about hopping on a bus mid-run and just seeing where I end up!

I'm too much of a wimp to have done it yet though...

06/11/2009 at 13:38

At lunchtimes I occasionally used to catch a train to a neighbouring town, and then run the 10 miles back to work across the fields.

Wej
06/11/2009 at 13:42

afjt wrote (see)

At lunchtimes I occasionally used to catch a train to a neighbouring town, and then run the 10 miles back to work across the fields.

You're either very quick or you get a very long lunch hour!
06/11/2009 at 13:57
I do a fair bit, Steve, with the local trains and sometimes if I know people are driving somewhere, I ask them to drop me off on the way.  I don't use buses because I get a bit travel sick in them sometimes.
Magna Carter    pirate
06/11/2009 at 13:57

shocking..... i can't believe you are all mad enough to do something like that.....

(wanders off whistling to himself guiltily)

Edited: 06/11/2009 at 13:57
06/11/2009 at 14:02

Not exactly that, but I have driven around my LSR route placing water or energy drinks strategically then get home and run it.  That's an extra half-hour of prep, and then I might have to go pick up the bottles afterwards.

Ah, just remembered.  I have been driven into town for shopping, so got changed and stated I'd be running back!  That got some funny looks.

06/11/2009 at 14:32
Ratzer wrote (see)

Not exactly that, but I have driven around my LSR route placing water or energy drinks strategically then get home and run it.  That's an extra half-hour of prep, and then I might have to go pick up the bottles afterwards.

Why don't you just carry a waistbelt with drinks and gels?  Its greener that way and your could get more running in - what happens if you forget where you have left them?  i know I would.
06/11/2009 at 14:34
I've only ever done this sort of thing a few times, I got my GF of a few years ago to drop me off in the middle of nowhere and then run back.  And it was the middle of nowhere!  And yes Steve, you are addicted, but isn't everyone on this site?!
06/11/2009 at 14:41
Not as extreme as some, but I do occaisionally ride my bike to some beautiful places on the outskirts of Cambridge and run a different route, then cycle home again.  Thinking about getting the train a few stops down and running back though after reading this thread!!
06/11/2009 at 14:56
PJAZ wrote (see)
Ratzer wrote (see)

Why don't you just carry a waistbelt with drinks and gels?  Its greener that way and your could get more running in - what happens if you forget where you have left them?  i know I would.

Yeah, PJAZ, you're right, and I've tried camelbaks and waistbelts since.  That was the early days, though I admit to recently doing it again, after discovering in the summer 'heat' that my camelbak wasn't lasting me more than about 16 miles.  Now that autumn is fully here it's not so much of a problem.
06/11/2009 at 15:07
The weirdest look I ever got from friends was when I appeared from inside my tent at a festival - in all my running gear.  A very lovely 10 miles in the countryside around the festival perimeter.  (Latitude Festival, BTW.)  In my defense, it was the very first evening we'd arrived, and I did spend the rest of the weekend getting completely tw*tted.
06/11/2009 at 15:15
Wej wrote (see)

afjt wrote (see)

You're either very quick or you get a very long lunch hour!

The latter - the benefits of flexi-time !!
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
06/11/2009 at 15:47

No, but many times I've had my OH stop the car and let me out to run home. Also whenever my car needs to go in for service or other work I'll drive it there and run home, then run back to fetch it when it's ready (around 12 miles each way), and we take it in turns to run the 7 miles to the pool for swim training.

Before anyone asks why not both run to the pool, we need the car there to put the dogs in while we swim, they're not allowed in the pool!

Edited: 06/11/2009 at 15:50
06/11/2009 at 15:59
Thanks guys, i can now confirm that i am not the only one and that i am addicted
07/11/2009 at 11:50

i've done similar

i was helping out at a local(ish) race, but my car was at the garage (it was meant to have been fixed by the weekend...) so my mum dropped me off (i took all my kit), i helped at the race and then ran the 10 miles home. did get some funny looks off people in pubs, and when i started one chap told me i was late for the race! but it was nice to do a different route.

07/11/2009 at 16:25

I occasionally get my OH to drop me off and run home.  It means I can explore new routes that are too far away for a circular route.  If I want to explore a new area further away I will drive there and run a cirular route back to the car.  It may be a sign of being addicted but also means you can go to different places and see different bits of countryside. 

I ran while on holiday this year and found it very relaxing and discovered lots of nice bits of countryside that I wouldn't have otherwise.

1 to 20 of 39 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.