Is this a crazy idea?

6 messages
24/10/2010 at 16:31

I consider myself to be very much a beginner runner - I started running in May and I've done one 5k and one 10k race so far.  I'm working on increasing my mileage over the winter and I've just registered for a 10k race at the beginning of March.

I want to do the Cardiff HM this time next year.  But my sister in law who is my race buddy also wants us to do the Great South Run as well.  Bearing in mind that these are likely to be only a week apart as they have been this year, is it a bonkers idea that I could do both?  I know it's a year away but the 6 months since I first put on my running shoes have flown by and I have no clue whether I will be able to cope with a HM followed by a 10 miler a week later.

I'd appreciate your wisdom!!

Edited: 24/10/2010 at 16:33
24/10/2010 at 16:40
I consider it feasible if you put in the appropiate training, it would also depend greatly upon your goal, what do you wish to achieve on the events?.
Edited: 24/10/2010 at 16:41
24/10/2010 at 16:45
To be honest, at the moment my goal is to complete them both without stopping/dying/injuring myself.  If I improve significantly in the meantime then I may revise this!
24/10/2010 at 17:28
Definately doable - I run a weekly long run of between 10 - 15 miles week in week out so as long as you put the appropriate training in it shouldn't be a problem.
Basil Brush Mk II    pirate
24/10/2010 at 19:53
Yes, you can do it! As long as you train and are sensible.
25/10/2010 at 10:06
Thanks all!  I think the problem at the moment is that either of them seem impossibly far away both in terms of time and ability so I don't want to get carried away with my plans!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
6 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.