Jimmy Saville

181 to 200 of 310 messages
03/11/2011 at 17:16

Nam, that is true but the same can be said for dogging.  Just because someone is gay doesn't mean that they are into cruising or cottaging any more than a heterosexual is into swinging and dogging.  Also, if one were a swinger and/or dogger, would you want that to be public knowledge or feel happy talking about that with your parents? It's a personal matter and everyone has the right for it to remain so.

There are plenty of A sexual people who also feel they have to pretend to be "normal" rather than say that they would prefer a cup of tea and a nice sit down.  Our society is very sexualised with a skewed perception of what is the norm and there and plenty of people on the fringes who fear anything that doesn't fit in with that.

03/11/2011 at 17:18
White, no sugar, pls
03/11/2011 at 17:30
  You can use you're own stirrer though
03/11/2011 at 17:34
Here you go sweet-cheeks use this
GKD
03/11/2011 at 20:31
So, now this thread has moved along and is now all grown up and stuff is it time for me to step back in?
GKD
03/11/2011 at 20:38
BDB, I was going to draw exactly the same comparisson.  I used to work with a bloke who was quite heavily in to swinging, including dogging (it was him who told me about a spot at Penecuik that I now can't drive by without shivering a little bit).  He confided in me regarding this as he felt I was the only person he knew who wouldn't make some sort of judgement (what that says about me I'm not sure!).  Whilst I don't understand some of his choices, I do accept that he made his decisions and follwed the path he wanted but equally I can absolutely understand why he'd want to keep that element of his life private.
03/11/2011 at 20:42

I was only wee when I used to watch Jim'll Fix It. Even judged by the standards of saturday night light entertainment programming and judged by someone as unformed as i was, I thought JFI was pants. 

There was just something perfunctory about the way he managed the program and I felt the man had no warmth towards any of his guests.

The thing about Jim was that (to me anyway) he wasn't really very engaging or competent as a host (he didn't do much at all after JFI finished and TOTP was always a bag of old tut whoever presented it). 

His USP was that he was "unmistakable" - the way he looked, the voice, the cigar, the bling. Eminently capable of being instantly recognised even when someone did a crap impression of him. he may have been entertaining but more because people laughed at him than with him. I always suspected he had no real sense of humour whatsoever.

He had "front" but to me he had no real warmth or personality or "hinterland" - he was a very private person it seems, and hard to read. 

In the Britain of today everyone has to spill their guts at every opportunity to show how "human" they are - I think Jim resisted that and the lack of disclosure and the plainly "odd" behaviours obviously leads people to conclude there was summat dodgy about him.

Perhaps he was just a one-off or just odd. Perhaps that's just all he was.

03/11/2011 at 21:36

I had to google 'dogging'. 

03/11/2011 at 21:51
I hope you didn't do that at work Azcaya!
03/11/2011 at 22:03
Badly Drawn Bloke wrote (see)
I hope you didn't do that at work Azcaya!

I did.

But I'm self employed so I can only get myself into trouble.!

I'm always amazed when I look stuff up on urban dictionary (always because of some comment on here - debauched lot that you are). I think half of it's made up. 

<crawls back under cosy world rock>

04/11/2011 at 09:48
Isn't it when you go jogging with your dog?
04/11/2011 at 09:49
"I think half of it's made up"

only half eh??

UD is one of the top dictionary websites out there - along with the Viz Profanisaurus. always a go to for a laugh...

anyone fancy a zuffle??
04/11/2011 at 09:56

Is that a five znuckle zuffle?

GTC
04/11/2011 at 20:07
Jumping back a bit,
Corinthian I don't know u from Adam but if u say u know something I know enough to believe u. Good work on the deconstruction of the script, where's doubting Thomas got to??
GTC
04/11/2011 at 22:25
So... 3.30... Was that his best time? Average time? Did he wear his shiney Tracksuit to race all the time? What other marathons did he do? I am interested in the original topic ....the running achievements of public figure who probably inspired a few people to take up running along the way.

05/11/2011 at 20:44
I don't know what sort of times he ran, but according to his obit in The Week he

"ran 212 marathons, almost always for charity, often without prior training 'I just turn up and run', he said.".
05/11/2011 at 21:46
Most shocking revelation on this thread...
05/11/2011 at 21:54

What would be more shocking is if you found out that cigar smoking, non training, not exactly atheltic old Jimmy could beat your best marathon time.

05/11/2011 at 22:00
MikeR wrote (see)
I don't know what sort of times he ran, but according to his obit in The Week he "ran 212 marathons, almost always for charity, often without prior training 'I just turn up and run', he said.".

Dont believe a word of it!

He was out training most days  when he was running marathons and decent mileage too.

05/11/2011 at 23:14
Viz Profanisaurus app for iPhone very entertaining
181 to 200 of 310 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.