Jimmy Saville

261 to 280 of 310 messages
GKD
11/10/2012 at 11:01
Hey Stevie, I'm hearing some disturbing rumours about Lance Armstrong but nothing's been proven right?
GKD
11/10/2012 at 11:09

Correct. When it's proven, then feel free to slate him until you feel proud.

GKD
11/10/2012 at 11:33
I'm not necessarily proud, more glad I'm not being seen as sanctimonious
GKD
11/10/2012 at 12:04

I've always been a great believer in the "innocent until proven guilty" philosophy which for the majority of cases holds true as they are usually about single incidents that people pass judgement on without knowing all the facts.   viz. all the inference that the teacher who abducted the 15 yr old schoolgirl was having sex with her - yet there is nothing as yet that's come out either in the press or in any court case (that will come in due course) to say that this is true/false.

but when there is a wealth of evidence - hearsay, inference, whispers, allegations, press reports etc - about a person(s) floating about then I tend to park the innocence approach on the side.   the jungle tom toms have been beating for a very long time with Saville and Armstrong - and others who fall into that category - so you have to suspect there is a very real element of truth in the allegations.   it just needs a catalyst to bring them into the open.

no smoke, no fire

11/10/2012 at 12:28
Lirish wrote (see)
Apparently he managed to go even quicker if there was a small child running in front of him......

It seems from the evidence that's coming to light that Mr Savile was a highly unsavoury character to say the least, but I still think this comment was in extremely bad taste, being made the day after his death was announced.  I can't blame StevieG for taking exception to it.

11/10/2012 at 12:29
Latest is that the NHS may have been complicit in the abuse, with nurses allowing Savile to take girls to the private flat he had on site. Gives a whole new insight on what services are provided by the NHS...
11/10/2012 at 12:45

The most shocking part of the whole thing is that so many people seemed to know about his behaviour, but nothing was ever done about it. Such a shame that he wasn't caught and made to face up to this before he died.

Oh, and I think Stevie G was right to find that comment in bad taste. It was made based on nothing but rumour at that time.

11/10/2012 at 12:47

I find it amazing  how well Jimmy hid this molesting character behind the cunning guise of a child molester.

GKD
11/10/2012 at 12:50
So Phil there should be a period of grace before we impugne the reputation of paedophiles? Is there a spreadsheet somewhere I can refer to so I don't make this elementary mistake again?
GKD
11/10/2012 at 13:23
Who's talking about a period of grace? We're talking about being sure that someone is actually guilty before we get the tar and feathers out.
That's 100 times funnier than your Pete Townsend joke Troy. That joke only made Seren Nos go all Daily Mail on us.
11/10/2012 at 13:44
fat buddha wrote (see)

no smoke, no fire

Yeah, there's never been any cases in history where people have been falsely accused have there!

Edited: 11/10/2012 at 13:45
11/10/2012 at 13:45

Lirish: You didn't KNOW he was a child molestor then did you? Your assertion was based on rumour. If you did know for definite then I'd suggest you should have gone to the authorities about it.

Although, at the moment, nothing has yet been proved, I'd say we can be sure beyond any reasonable doubt, due to the avalanche of allegations that are all of a sudden surfacing.

GKD
11/10/2012 at 13:58
No I'm didn't know in the manner which StevieG wanted, that he be convicted at court before we can all say, hand on heart, that we knew it all along. But I trusted the word of someone I personally knew and that was good enough for me. Not some here obviously, I haven't seen so much hand wringing in years.
But that's a weird thing isn't it, proof. I mean there are those here who insist on what they refer to as proof but how far do we do? Statemented allegations? Uncorroborated video? Named accusations? Do we hold the weight of a conviction at court as the only and absolute standard? So if so do we say every court holds the same weight?
So a conviction at crown court here should hold the same weight as a conviction in a Syrian court? Or a north Korean one?
GKD
11/10/2012 at 14:16

Jimmy Saville a pervert; who saw THAT coming eh?

11/10/2012 at 15:14

I think the 14 year old girls did, unless he had them blindfolded and tied up in the boiler room with the other trouble makers.

11/10/2012 at 20:39
I was just shopping in Tescos and I saw Rolf Harris , I said to him I remember you doing 2 little boys in 1970. He said fuck off, that was Jimmy Saville!
11/10/2012 at 22:04

Must admit that prior to this thread last year I had no idea Sir Jimmy was a predatory paedo - I watched his shows as a kid in blissful ignorance - can't say they were ever must see TV for me but neither did he give me the creeps as so many others seem to claim now.    It was only googling it all that I found out he was the subject of so many rumours - at least some of which turn out to be true - those David Icke forums really are a wonder !

11/10/2012 at 23:25

I'm amazed at how many cases have come out this week and annoyed it's only now they are coming to light. Although I hope other people that have suffered at the hands of other "famous" & still alive sickos will have the courage to speak up now.

12/10/2012 at 08:27
In the 60's and 70's can remember that in the workplace it was a free for all for sexual deviants. I still remeber working as a 16 year old and two old men leering at and talking to a 19 year old girl and talking about white knickers. It seemed like there was no one to complain to and that behaviour went right to the top of the management structure. Liz Kershaw's experience sounds like the BBC was no better.
12/10/2012 at 10:00

SR's rght to an extent - the 60's and 70's were in a different era and sexual harrassment or deviation wasn't treated the same as it is today.  there were many "celebs" from those days who were known to be pretty lecherous or predatory - Benny Hill (got some of the girls off his TV shows to give him blow jobs), Frankie Howard (predatory homosexual) to name 2 - but details of their habits only came to light after their deaths, although there were many rumours while they were alive.   no different in many ways to Saville

261 to 280 of 310 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.