Jimmy Saville

281 to 300 of 310 messages
LIVERBIRD    pirate
12/10/2012 at 10:13

I just heard a really sad story on R5 Live about a sixty year old woman abused by her Godfather to the point of attempted rape as a teenager. She was having a conversation with her 85 year old mum who was saying "this Savile business. It must've gone on in our day but I never heard of it. Did anything like that ever happen to YOU?" and the poor lady STILL couldn't tell her mum - even 50 years on. She tried but the words didn't come out.

12/10/2012 at 11:12

Jimmy Saville, Frankie Howerd, Benny Hill, Freddie Starr - is there any 70s light entertainment that is safe to watch - Terry and June maybe ?

12/10/2012 at 11:21

Ok, you guys get the torches, I'll find the mob....

12/10/2012 at 11:25

pops - it would appear that even Terry Scott wasn't a paragon of virtue - from Wiki:

"in 1987, Scott suffered a nervous breakdown. The attack was in part brought on by his public confession that he had had a series of affairs since his marriage to dancer Margaret Pollen in 1957"

12/10/2012 at 13:07
Over the last week we have had
Jimmy saville - Ran marathons - did a lot for charity- sex scandal

Lance Armstrong - Pro cyclist- has his own charity - drugs scandal

I'm just wondering who the Swimmer will be so we can have a scandal triathlon.

I hope David Walliams hasn't been up to no good.
12/10/2012 at 13:32

Millsy - will this do??  (sorry about the Daily Hate link *shudder*)

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2205723/National-swimming-coach-banned-life-sex-abuse-case-affair-athlete-13-1980s.html

or perhaps, let's go the whole hog and have Brett Sutton, a world class triathlon coach and currently coaching a number of big names competing in the Ironman World Champs in Kona tomorrow - a convicted sex offender - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brett_Sutton#Sex_offences

12/10/2012 at 15:13

In the 60s it is probable that many of the top popstars sh******d girls that were border line underage...groupies threw themselves at the latest charttoppers. Listen to the song Young Girl or Go away little girl; the lyrics tell the story.

I witnessed a chart topping Liverpudlian tell a young girl in his dressing room that he would only sign his autograph on her tits...if I had to I would testify to this in court.

What Savile is supposed to have done was wrong indeed but there were many more at it. Perhaps not in hospitals etc but certainly in dressing rooms at pop concerts and dance halls.      

seren nos yn canu    pirate
12/10/2012 at 16:19

i think its lightly different at pop concerts.if the girls go to pop concerts and get themselves backstage....then they are pretty savvy...and whilst i still think it is totally wrong.......the drug addled rockstars could at least state they thought they were 16 for their gropes.....

having children go on a childrens tv progrmamme or in a childrens hospital ward with a guy that is in a respectable position.the parents would have had no idea that anything like this might happen and so warn their children about it......

13/10/2012 at 15:25

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-19936195

Unreal - he headed up a taskforce into Broadmoor - he had his own set of keys to the place and was free to come and go as he pleased - he was a DJ and kids TV presenter ffs what was going on !    The whole thing is not only tragic it's bizarre - did he have some kind of Derren Brown type power of suggestion - I mean if you were appointing a task force for a high security mental hospital the shortlist wouldn't be Savile, Brian Cant and Geoffrey from Rainbow would it.   

13/10/2012 at 16:22

I haven't read this thread. I think it's a pity all these complainers didn't come forward while he was alive to defend himself, when clearly they could have done. I suspect some of them, at least, will be fabricating claims in the hope of getting damages from his estate, or from the BBC/NHS by arguing vicarious liability.

I also find it unsatisfactory that the powers-that-be take it on themselves to throw millions and millions of pounds of public money at public enquiry after public enquiry. The people who want truth to come out aren't told to pay for the investigation themselves, it's always the taxpaying public who have to pick up the bill.

13/10/2012 at 19:41

It was I who did the original post........

What can I say, he might had done a lot for for charity but it was no doubt a front for the recent revelations. A childhood hero of mine no more. Pity he is not around to spend his twilight years rotting away in jail.......

Edited: 13/10/2012 at 19:52
16/10/2012 at 12:16

The Jimmy Saville story just keeps growing. Apparently people are now saying that Jeremy Beadle had a small hand in it..... 

cougie    pirate
16/10/2012 at 12:22

I'm not sure quite how useful an enquiry will be. 

How many decades will it go back ? I struggle with what I did last week - so asking people to look back 30 or 40 years is a bit much ? And the cost of it ?

Surely the lesson to be learned is that if someone seems a bit creepy - they possibly are. Keep an eye on them. (That'll be a million pounds please)

And don't let any DJ have the keys to a High Security Prison. Although he would have made for a cracking Batman Villain I guess. 

16/10/2012 at 13:29
When the fox that ate the chickens is dead there is no point looking at the fox. You need to pursue the idiots that gave the fox the key to the chicken shed.
cougie    pirate
16/10/2012 at 13:31

How did the fox work this key ? I know they're cunning and all but still ?

16/10/2012 at 13:34

They are now saying morph was a playdophile

16/10/2012 at 14:42
Totally agree with sussex runner. The investigation that will no doubt now take place should centre around those that were complicit In the abuse by turning a blind eye.

It seems so many people knew exactly what he was doing but allowed him to get away with it, that is unforgiveable. Also it looks as if a number of complaints were made to the police at the time but those were not investigated. No doubt there are a number of people now looking over their shoulders awaiting a knock at the door once e enquiry begins.
16/10/2012 at 14:44

Has anyone seen the TV trilogy "Red Riding", aired a couple of years ago, on channel 4 i think. Life imitating Art perhaps?

RJK
16/10/2012 at 16:37

This is of course irrelevant compared to the other allegations, but I'd like to ask you running experts if he ever really ran a marathon, or it was another aspect to his self aggrandising.

I've heard plenty of rumours that he would be given a lift to the finish (those rumours were well before he turned his toes up).

His wikipedia page says he ran the london marathon in 2005, but there's no record of him on the finishers list that I looked at.

Perhaps it would give an insight if we could somehow find evidence of marathons that he actually completed. He claimed hundreds so there must be evidence of them somewhere?

16/10/2012 at 17:22

http://www.dnfa.com/pages/search/image.asp?imgurl=445466-162_b&year=2012

might help

and if you scroll through the various items in his memorabilia auction after you died, there were all sorts of medals and certificates - more 1/2 than full marathons - that were sold.  whether he actually ran the whole way however, is another story

http://www.dnfa.com/search.asp?view=keyword&auction=13560&keyword=||&lotno=&noperpage=20&cat=&pg=0&orderby=&noofresults=550&catname=Full%20list%20of%20lots

281 to 300 of 310 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.