Jimmy Saville

21 to 40 of 310 messages
31/10/2011 at 16:50

<------- 

Ignore the toop btw - it signifies nothing.

31/10/2011 at 16:52
XFR - in fairness to the general populace, the landlord in the Jo Yeates case was arrested and questioned, so it was fairly reasonable for people to think he might be guilty.
31/10/2011 at 16:54
Might be guilty yes, but I think a lot of people had assumed he was.
31/10/2011 at 16:55

I wonder what Frank Doberman's views on the subject would be?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=286CvvkmXAg 

"He'd be welcome to come around and sit on our patio

BUT if he got bored and started..."

Edited: 31/10/2011 at 16:55
31/10/2011 at 18:54
Sussex Runner (NLR) wrote (see)
I'm with Lamb Chop too. Nasty innuendo says more about the people spouting it to me.

Completely agree with this.

Casting such allegations about a dead man with no evidence is pretty scummish. 

31/10/2011 at 19:22

I used to bump into him on runs fairly regularly, and sometimes join him for 2-3 mile stretches,  in the late 80s/early 90s when I lived in Chapel Allerton and he lived in Roundhay.

The two things that always struck me were that a) he looked a lot older in person and b) he seemed (to me at least) a lot more normal than the popular image would have you believe.

I dont think there is any basis for the persistent rumours, as surely some more substantial 'evidence' would have surfaced by now if there were any truth,  except the one about his extensive contacts. He certainly had contacts in the diplomatic circles both here and abroad, including Israel for some reason, which brought him into contact with some very high profile individuals.

He was also a semi-pro or pro cyclist at one point riding in the Tour Of Britain.

GKD
31/10/2011 at 19:47
Stevie G . wrote (see)
I'm with Lamb Chop too. Nasty innuendo says more about the people spouting it to me.

Stevie that's twice you've used the word 'scum' or 'scummish' in reference to something I've written, now I'm not one to get into silly little spats on t'internet but equally I don't think you should say things here that you wouldn't say to someone's face. So if you do use it again be prepared to say it to my face ok?

Now I've already said I know personally of two instances where he's been linked with innappropriate touching while he worked at Stoke Mandeville, fair enough that's just anecdotal and you don't know me from Adam ubt the person who told me if the wife of a long standing friend of mine who was a nurse there at the time. I also know that one of the persons involved was threatened by the hospital mamagement to keep them quiet as Saville was one of their chief benefactors.

And just as an aside does anyone remember the Louis Theroux interview with him broadcast a few years ago? Here's a reminder if you don't, particularly like how he describes kidnapping troublemakers in his club, tieing them up and locking them in the boiler room. A real prince among men...

GKD
31/10/2011 at 20:02

So I conclude from my origional post that Jimmy ran 3:30 marathons which to me (who has yet to attempt one) Is a very respectable time.

As for all the other posts with nothing to do with his running (this is runners world after all) The guy has passed away. Never to my knowledge have I heard anything contraversial in the media about J.S & he isn't here to defend himself!

The  guy was perhaps a little excentric & reclusive but it gives no one the right to speculate on here or anywhere without concrete evidence. Think of all the good he did for charity & putting a smile on many peoples faces over the years.

GOD REST YOUR SOUL SIR JIMMY!

Edited: 31/10/2011 at 20:04
31/10/2011 at 20:34

Lirish, there's a difference between calling someone scum, and saying their comment was scumlike. I'd tell you tomorrow that your comment was scum.

A 3rd hand account of "being linked" to inappropriate touching is hardly Gary Glitter is it? Deary me!

I think we can all be glad you weren't around for Michael Jackson's demise!

31/10/2011 at 20:42
Lirish wrote (see)
Stevie G . wrote (see)

Now I've already said I know personally of two instances where he's been linked with innappropriate touching while he worked at Stoke Mandeville, fair enough that's just anecdotal and you don't know me from Adam ubt the person who told me if the wife of a long standing friend of mine who was a nurse there at the time. I also know that one of the persons involved was threatened by the hospital mamagement to keep them quiet as Saville was one of their chief benefactors.

Sounds like Chinese whispers to me, I take it the wife of the friend didn't actually witness this inappropriate touching, so she heard it from someone else.. who heard it from.. 

Think you've been had Lirish.

GKD
31/10/2011 at 20:52

No she worked with one of the girls concerned and was with her when she was 'interviewed' by one of the hospital administrators.

Now as far as I'm concerned I couldn't give a toss what you believe or don't I just find it slightly surprising that people here are so happy to dismiss someones personal experience of someone in preference to a public persona of someone they don't know from Adam

GKD
31/10/2011 at 20:53
Your letter was only the start of it, Lirish
31/10/2011 at 20:57

The "evidence" seems to get more flimsy by the post.

Now it's about 4th hand, the "aggrieved" party is now an adult...and at worst the Jimster might have been a bit cheeky in his touch

Hardly rock star behaviour

Edited: 31/10/2011 at 21:05
GKD
31/10/2011 at 21:04

And your basis for believing he's just a nice old man was that he fixed it for you to go on a rollercoaster?

Have a look at the Theroux clip I posted, still think he's just a nice old man?

GKD
31/10/2011 at 21:06

No one's saying he was an absolute legend. But a fair few people seem to be taking exception to trying to sully his name in death.

Admit it Irish, you have a grudge because he didn't answer your letter

31/10/2011 at 21:14
Lirish wrote (see)
Apparently he managed to go even quicker if there was a small child running in front of him......

Lirish wrote (see)

But you remember the nice old man who fixed it for all those nice kids to come sit on his lap and tell him their wishes

Lirish wrote (see)

No she worked with one of the girls concerned and was with her when she was 'interviewed' by one of the hospital administrators.

Oh, so it was another adult you are now saying he apparently touched inappropriately?  From the other things you posted it looked like you were suggesting he had a sexual thing for children!   hmm,  you aren't a very reliable witness for the prosecution are you.

GKD
31/10/2011 at 21:19

I didn't witness anything, as has been pointed out on this thread a couple of times. The rumours that have dogged him for many years were that he was inappropriate around kids, that's what I was referring to in the first two posts.

The incidents I mentioned at Stoke Mandeville were with nurses just out of training school, that's what I've been told of by someone who worked there at the time and worked with one of the nurses.

Anything else I can clear up for you?

GKD
cougie    pirate
31/10/2011 at 21:23
I'd not take Saviles stories at their word. Theroux himself said that he caught Savile out on a few lies and exaggerations.
31/10/2011 at 21:45
Lirish wrote (see)

I didn't witness anything, as has been pointed out on this thread a couple of times. The rumours that have dogged him for many years were that he was inappropriate around kids, that's what I was referring to in the first two posts.

The incidents I mentioned at Stoke Mandeville were with nurses just out of training school, that's what I've been told of by someone who worked there at the time and worked with one of the nurses.

Anything else I can clear up for you?

Nope, nothing else to clear up, you've heard rumours and know someone who knew a nurse who got her arse slapped.  

When you can't turn round for celebs being accused of sexual misbehaviour I wonder why no one has made a proper complaint to the police.  Even years after the event.  or have they, is there also a conspiracy theory you can tell us about too?

GKD
31/10/2011 at 22:04
Did I say anywhere it was about someone getting their arse slapped? Or is that what you consider to be acceptable behaviour for anyone, not worthy of complaint?
GKD
21 to 40 of 310 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.