Jimmy Saville

161 to 180 of 310 messages
03/11/2011 at 14:35

no, i was being serious for once.

as said above there is nothing wrong with being gay, it is not equivalent to being paedophile or abuser so why the big secret?

i think all the secrecy and living a lie, wanting to be seen as being straight, is a bad example to young people who might be coming to terms with their sexual identity.

so why is it such a big deal if someone is outed?

03/11/2011 at 14:36
skotty wrote (see)
seren nos wrote (see)

if that fact is that they are gay then they should have the right to keep it secret if they wish

why?

Why is it in the public interest to know if someone, anyone, is gay? 
03/11/2011 at 14:39

Sorry skotty, cross post. 

I do think however that the person should ahve the right to chose.  It doesn;t necessarily mean that they want to keep it secret as such, just that they don't want to discuss it.  Thats no different to someone who may want to keep a new heterosexual relationship from their peer group - I know I didn't tell anyone about Mr CD until we'd been together for several months!  It wasn't because I wanted to keep it secret, I just didn't see what business it was of anyone else.

03/11/2011 at 14:40

why is it is public interest to know who katie price is sh@gging this week?

the secrecy is what is making it newsworthy.

03/11/2011 at 14:41
skotty wrote (see)

as said above there is nothing wrong with being gay, it is not equivalent to being paedophile or abuser so why the big secret?

Because it's got absolutely nothing to do with what said person does in their public life, and everything to do with the most intimate matters of what they get up to in their personal life, I would've thought.

03/11/2011 at 14:42
"so why is it such a big deal if someone is outed?"

so why is it such a big deal if they want to keep it quiet?

the argument cuts both ways.

as CD says - it's choice
seren nos    pirate
03/11/2011 at 14:44
skotty wrote (see)

why is it is public interest to know who katie price is sh@gging this week?

the secrecy is what is making it newsworthy.

she wants this to be made public and is pushing it into the media............thats abig difference................yes there are people hooked on celebrity that want to read every detail of anyone who has ever been on tv...........

but doesn't mean they have a right..............they can settle for the details supplied by the attention whores and leave the kiss and tells of those who wish to remain away from the media

03/11/2011 at 14:49
Until the word is free of prejudice, gay people will always think twice about being public about their sexuality. A good friend of mine is gay and quite cautious about letting certain people in her life know, primarily because she doesn't know how they will react and whether they will treat her differently. In an ideal world, she shouldn't have to worry, but prejudice abounds and I completely understand her decision not to put herself in a position when she's vulnerable.

There's a very famous US actor who has relocated to the UK. Rumours abound about his sexuality. He neither denies or confirms the rumours, he believes it's not relevant to his work. He made a pass at my male friend a few years ago. It's common knowledge that he's gay, but other than a few excitable tabloid editors, does anyone care?
Edited: 03/11/2011 at 14:51
03/11/2011 at 15:00

talking about the celebs, do you really believe that even now in the 21st century that it can really harm their career as actor or singer to be outed before they have achieved a certain status within their profession?  

03/11/2011 at 15:17
Unfortunately, yes.  It shouldn't but there are still people in this world who find it unpalatable to even consider that someone may be gay.  Two of the girls in my office for a start. 
03/11/2011 at 15:27

Slightly different world from acting or singing but I did read an interesting article the other day about the lack of "outed" footballers.  Whether or not such a revelation would help or hinder a sportsperson's career, you can sort of understand why they might want to keep it to themselves, not least because it's not relevant, but simply to avoid all the bloody hassle and taunting from terrace morons.

Even in a slightly less testosterone-fuelled environment (a sales company predominantly staffed by young blokes) I used to work with a fella who was gay, which he never spoke openly about, but the amount of innuendo and nudge-nudge, wink-wink that went on around it was ridiculous.  Quite pathetic really.

Edited: 03/11/2011 at 15:28
03/11/2011 at 15:31
skotty - yes unfortunately. There a lot of ignorant folk out there. We took the in-laws to see Priscilla Queen of the Desert, the musical, last year. As you would imagine, in the audience there were a large number of gay men. My F-i-L made me sit on one side of him, and MrAN on the other, because he didn't want to sit next to a gay man. He was convinced they would make a pass at him. I did point out that he wasn't likely to be their type, but he wouldn't be swayed, I suspect he believes all gay men are uncontrollable sex pests. Alternatively, he might believe that he is sexually irrisistable to all of woman born (which knowing his arrogance about most things is a possibility).
03/11/2011 at 15:33

I can see the "not wanting something made public" thing being relevant, but there were posts after FB's original comment which seemed to imply that "having something to hide" made someone a bit suspicious somehow.  Probably just me being oversensitive, but no-one had seemed to bat an eyelid.  Maybe my hormones are making me see things that aren't there.

Personally, I couldn't care less about someone's sexuality (although I did fancy someone rotten in school and was very disappointed when I found out he was gay, but that's slightly different) and I do think that if they are famous for something else (e.g. being a sportsman) and don't openly lie, then it's their business.

As for Katie Price - any right to any privacy has long gone..................

03/11/2011 at 15:47
AllNew wrote (see)
skotty - yes unfortunately. There a lot of ignorant folk out there. We took the in-laws to see Priscilla Queen of the Desert, the musical, last year. As you would imagine, in the audience there were a large number of gay men. My F-i-L made me sit on one side of him, and MrAN on the other, because he didn't want to sit next to a gay man. He was convinced they would make a pass at him. I did point out that he wasn't likely to be their type, but he wouldn't be swayed, I suspect he believes all gay men are uncontrollable sex pests. Alternatively, he might believe that he is sexually irrisistable to all of woman born (which knowing his arrogance about most things is a possibility).

I think some straight men are frightened because they assume that gay men think of them the same way they do about women.
M.r Zuvai    pirate
03/11/2011 at 15:51
Beware Of The Fish wrote (see)
AllNew wrote (see)

I think some straight men are frightened because they assume that gay men think of them the same way they do about women.

i think you're spot on

i was going to say "nailed it" - decided to reconsider

03/11/2011 at 15:54
AllNew wrote (see)

Even if they did, it wouldn't mean that they'd act on it.  My ex wouldn't go into a bar which was rumoured to be a gay bar in case he got touched up/sexually attacked.  I've been in lots of bars where there are straight men, and never found that I was anything more than chatted up on occasion. 

Of the gay men I know, none of them would make advances on another man unless they were sure they were also gay - mainly to avoid offence, or worse, a beating.

03/11/2011 at 16:00

By that logic, women should feel uneasy when I walk into a bar, since if I fancy one of them I might decide to assault them.  There is definitely this sense of something being sordid, because it's not the norm.  The Catholic church like drawing parallels between gays and paedos, which is quite ironic really.

...Anyway, Jimmy Savile - he never did fix it for me to be Spiderman.  I mean, how cheap and easy would that have been?  I crawl along a picture of a building and they turn the camera round 90 degrees! 

Edited: 03/11/2011 at 16:14
seren nos    pirate
03/11/2011 at 16:18
also a lot of gay people might not mind their friends or workmates knowing but can not openly discuss it with their parents because their parents would not understand and predfer to live in denial..................whilst i think this is very sad and I cannot understand those parents..........it happens a lot and its not up to the newspapers to force the issue to be addressed.........
Nam
03/11/2011 at 16:29
Would generally agree with everything that's been said, but there are also some practices that the (male) gay community is not doing themselves any favours with when it comes to perception of the public, namely cruising & cottaging.  I know a few local 'hotspots'  and it's not surprising that it makes people feel uncomfortable having this sort of thing go on in woodland carparks, public toilets and other public areas where people walk their dogs, take their kids etc. 
03/11/2011 at 16:56
What's all this gay talk got to do with Sir Cliff?
161 to 180 of 310 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.