JOB INTERVIEWS

HELP!! :(

1 to 20 of 26 messages
23/04/2005 at 14:57
I have an interview for a position as an I.T systems tester......

I need some help with what questions to ask at the end of the interview (other than when do I start?!)
23/04/2005 at 15:02
How much money?
when do I get a holiday ?
whats my bonus?
23/04/2005 at 15:09
LD
Can you find out some stuff about the company (on the internet?)and think of an intelligent question to ask? Like about the companies they supply, or other branches they have around the world, or who their customers are.
Also, there's nothing wrong with not asking a question and it shouldn't count against you.
Good luck

AK
23/04/2005 at 15:11
You could ask about:
Training the companyany offers, Opportunities for progression,
Hours expected to work,
What sort of person are they looking for, History/demographic of company if the interviewer hasn't already run through this.
When will you hear from them again after the interview

What are you looking for from the role, whatever that maybe, ask questions that give you the clearest picture of the role before you leave.

Remember, it's not just them interviewing you, you are in a way interviewing them to make sure it's the role for you.

I wouldn't ask questions about money, bonus etc until second interview or on job offer.

Hope this helps.

Good luck x
23/04/2005 at 15:13
The correct answer is always "No, you've covered everything, thank you.".

If you need to find out anything, find it out before the interview.

"When will I next hear from you" is acceptable but when people start asking me what training is available, how much the salary is, what the structure of the department is etc they tend to get left off any shortlist.

I feel personally insulted when people come for an interview knowing next to nothing about the role, the department and in some cases the company.

Evidence of preparation. It's a job winner!

Good luck.
23/04/2005 at 15:14
I would always try to let them explain the renumeration package Lolly, rather than you diving in. Any experienced interviewer would know to bring it up.

One question I have asked, is how I have come across and if they feel I have not fully answered their questions. It gives you a chance to have another go at any questions they are not happy with and perhaps overcome any objections to hiring you they may have.

Glad to see you are moving on. Last time we spoke, you had had a bad day at work.

All the best :)
23/04/2005 at 15:21
Thanks guys!

The position I am going for is in the same company that I already work for but in a different department. I know that the pay scales and it involves a nice big fat pay rise!! ;)
23/04/2005 at 15:25
Well very good luck then

and look forward to spending all that extra lolly, Lolly
23/04/2005 at 15:28
Not an expert by any means - my last job interview was some <mutters number under his breath but sounded in the high-teens> years ago.

I wouldn't ask about money or even say that money is a motivator. That would definitely give someone the wrong impression.

Definitely ask about the training package for new employees. How are people indoctrinated (is that the right word) into the companies values?

How about stuff about the social side of the company? Do they have regular social gatherings?

Do they have any benefits on offer? Cheap Gym membership, that sort of thing?

If I was testing all day and doing documentation, I would definitely need something as a distraction every so often to avoid boredom / stress.

And if they don't get you the job, how about offering to have an arm-wrestle with the interviewer?
23/04/2005 at 15:40
Is it okay to ask ... What is the staff turnover on the section?

What is staff morale like on your team?
23/04/2005 at 15:47
Yes, I don't see why not.

I used to ask why the vacancy has arisen in the first place.

They are obviously not going to say staff morale is low and everyone leaves after 10 months, for example, but their answer might certainly give some insight.

You obviously know the company so getting as much insight about the role as possible will help.

As Chimp says, you don't have to have a question.

I would write out 5 or so questions and have them in front of me. If they truly have been covered in the interview then it's fine to say "No, I think everything's been covered".
23/04/2005 at 16:58
I would agree with what Sezz has said.

The only one I was going to add was when do you want your new person to start. This gives you a possible further question about them waiting while you work notice.

It may seem silly but ever inter-company you may have to work notice on your old position before you can start a new one.
23/04/2005 at 18:54
Agree with the having a bit of paper with some points on it. At the end of the interview get the paper out of your pocket and glance through them and if there's no burning issues then say 'no thanks you have covered everthing', even if there are some points outstanding. Just brings out how organised you are and bullshit baffles brains.
23/04/2005 at 20:02
I can see where Chimp's coming from, I think if it looks like you haven't prepared then that isn't good, but then again, you can't find out everything.

And as Sezz says(!!), you're entitled to interview them and find out what they can do for you. It's a two way process.
23/04/2005 at 20:12
This is totally not what you asked, but;

How about role playing? You could get a friend or family member to practice interviewing you. There are even professional training courses for this. I did one a few years back. You would be suprised what you can pick up. Small, but significant faults you weren't even aware of.
23/04/2005 at 20:18
I did a fab interview techniques course a couple of years ago as I was interviewing graduates, but really helped when I was going for interviews.

Actually, also found it good for conversational techniques in a social situation if, like me, you're shy! Really!
23/04/2005 at 20:21
Really Sezz? Tell me more. What sort of techniques?
23/04/2005 at 21:03
Never ask no questions - seems as though you are not interested in the company.

But...as Chimp is pointing out, don't ask questions about things in the public domain, as this may come across as unprepared.

Best question i was ever asked by a candidate, was...

"Why do you enjoy working for the company"

...and last thing, don't write the questions down and then pull out a piece of paper.
23/04/2005 at 21:11
Like the question you were asked. Will remember that one.

But, why not pull out a piece of paper? Seems silly to hold it all the way through the interview and disorganised to try to remember them.
23/04/2005 at 21:20
AoD

I would look for a candidate to ask 2 or three questions.

If they have to write these down to remember them, then is this person going to be able to cope under the pressure the role may place them in.

The view on this may vary between interviewers and indutries, but this would be my take on it.
1 to 20 of 26 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.