Just turned 50

Getting old

21 to 35 of 35 messages
25/05/2012 at 14:01

Wouldn't consider a wig, don't have enough to dye,  so I just cut very short - (back to the wood)

25/05/2012 at 15:26
Wilkie wrote (see)
Mr Puffy wrote (see)

Just don't dye your hair, it's really sad.

I second that!  And no matter what, do not even think about a wig.

So I suppose a dyed wig is not acceptable, then?

25/05/2012 at 17:39
Mr Puffy wrote (see)

Just don't dye your hair, it's really sad.

I do.  I'm going down disgracefully.

50 is definitely the new 20.  I'm in my mid 50s, (female) work in a support job in a university (so attending lectures with students) and have been assumed (by the lecturers) to be a student.  And that's thanks to dying my hair.

50 is no big deal, are you any different today from yesterday?

Sandy the Womble wrote (see)
Wilkie wrote (see)

So I suppose a dyed wig is not acceptable, then?

Well, it seems to suit JB

25/05/2012 at 17:42

I turned the big 50 earlier this year and last week I completed the fastest HM in years!!

I'm aiming for a sub 50 mins 10km and would like to do a sub 1.50 HM this year just to celebrate and am even contemplating my second marathon ever just to make it a good year.

Don't really notice a difference in age - last week I overtook lots of people clearly younger than me which boosted my ego tremendously. Admittedly I have had both my cataracts done, but that's a whole different story and now can see perfectly (left eye long sight, right eye near sight - brill!).

Embrace your age and enjoy it!

25/05/2012 at 18:25

I did this for Muttley Jnr (18) recently. He'd never seen it before, let alone thought of doing it.

He tells his mates that he has an immature father.

I'm 52. I can grow old but who says I have to grow up?

25/05/2012 at 21:21

Agree that your problem seems to be much more injury-related, rather than to do with age.

Get the achilles sorted and there's no reason why you can't run and race for many, many more years yet.

If you're relatively new to training seriously, you can also still look to improve and set new PB's. Admittedly, if you were racing in your '30's and '40's (let alone earlier), declining race times are a fact of life, but nothing to get hung up about.

Beyond 50, cross-training and stretching become more important, as the one thing you want to avoid is injury and I believe they do help a lot.

DJ (53)

25/05/2012 at 22:04

Thanks DJ39 I can still dream though - since I started again (after 12 years) I am trying to concentrate on lesser mileage but more quality (used to do high mileage and lots of hard steady runs (6s and better)) - haven't got the time or energy - but have still set my mental goal of going under 30 minutes for 5 by the end of 2013 -  I have eb=ven been known to have a day off once in a while!!! unheard of in a past life.

25/05/2012 at 23:28

Hi Grendel3. 5 miles in under 30 mins as a Vet 50 will be a great achievement (well beyond me I'm afraid!). Best of luck and l hope you "nail it".

I think your plan to concentrate on less mileage/higher quality is definitely the way to go if you're focusing on racing at distances of 10K or less.

26/05/2012 at 01:48

Anthony, I'm 37, started running 2-3 years ago, run the 10 miler sep 2011 trying to finish below 1:30hrs. as I was reaching 6-7km there was an older bloke running at similar pace so we chatted for a while finding out that our target time were the same. then he had to wait for his colleague and told me to keep going. sadly I 'died' on the 13km mark and saw him passing by with his 'struggling' colleague. I congratulated him after as he finished in 1:26 while I only managed mere 1:31:26. I checked the results later - he was in vet70+ category.... flipping hell, I wanna be that fast when I'm 70

26/05/2012 at 10:08

David Jones 39 - I have to have a target - the 'lad' I introduced to running in 1989 is still going sub 30 and as we were on par - if he can do it so can I - the only difference is he hasn't had a 12 year break - but my target is to run something close to my previous bes even if I can't make it -

27/05/2012 at 22:20

I'll be 50 in two years time.My attitude is f*ck em, i wont let it stop me doing anything. However, you have to be realistic, recovery does take a bit longer, its a fact of life. I dont train on consecutive days, and at the first sign of any niggle, resort to cycling.

Started running at Xmas, pb HM is 1:39:50. My target is sub 20min 5K and sub 40 min 10K.

27/05/2012 at 22:26
All my hair's my own. I'm blessed.
27/05/2012 at 23:24
In the gym I go to, the older guys all know what they're doing and put in a lot more effort than many of the younger ones.

Good V60s still beat me in races, let alone V50s.

Honestly, the guy whose running most inspires me is well over 70. He completed a 10k this year in just over 50 minutes and the VLM. As a reality check, this meant he was running for over 5 hours, and he sometimes starts out on routes with us and has to head back. But did you really start running motivated only by fast finishing times?

Cross train. Give more time over to maintaining your body's flexibility and strength. Take more rest days in your schedule. Enjoy sport: - whether that continues to be running or not.
28/05/2012 at 09:25

There's a line in a Who song "I'm too old to give up but too young to rest" which says it for me.  I ignore their earlier line of "I hope I die before I get old"

28/05/2012 at 09:42

Raddicchio - I have confession I started running at 23 - and yes I was totally motivated by fast times - and depsite a 12 year break - and at 52 I am still motivated by fast times - hence my sub 30 target - I still run 7 days a week, the days of two and 3 a day are long gone - but  I don't feel any different to the old days -

And JF50   - Jethro Tull were so wrong - in saying To Old to Rock and Roll to young to die - You are never to old to Rock and Roll!!!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 35 of 35 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.