Kids and cycling - is it safe?

Parent's half term worries...

21 to 24 of 24 messages
26/10/2002 at 17:54
I cycled all over the place after about the age of 12, without a helmet, but in small town America where the roads were twice the size they are here. Bought a helmut when in university (in Chicago) after working with a lady who was very pushy about it. About a month later I was hit straight on by a lady pulling out of a petrol station. I flew over the top of the handle bars on to the road, but only suffered minor scrapes. My helmut suffered a major scrape down the front of it and I'm really glad that wasn't my head!

Not to scary you, but besides the evil serial rapist that has twice attacked girls on bikes in the area, a 28 year old woman cyclist was just killed recently. You're never to old to be vigilant.
26/10/2002 at 20:49
I've known several people who are cyclists who have had accidents that could have been more serious BUT FOR THEIR HELMETS, so please insist on them wearing them - and have them fitted correctly. So many kids nowaways (and adults)push the helmets to the back of their heads, leaving most of their brow exposed.
Hubby has had two serious accidents in about 18 years of cycling - both would have been bad if not for the helmet (one was black ice similar to Stickless, the other was a car that tried to turn left through him).
As for the age to start? When they are ready and can do a cycle test that you set them. My dad (OK< it was years ago) set my sister and i a test. We had to mend a puncture, put a chain back on, demonstrate an emergency stop when he jumped out in front of us and follow a convoluted course he drew on the road with chalks (we lived in a cul-de-sac). It was such fun that most of the kids in the area gathered in our driveway to participate. We also all did the cycle proficiency test run by ROSPA at school.
26/10/2002 at 21:35
Laura,
WE do cycling proficiency with our Yr 6s in the summer, and Mini Barkels is 10 now, and wants to be out on her own.
It's a question of me acclimatising to her wanting independence. We started with allowing her to go round the block, then of to her mates house that didn't need a road crossing, then a little further and so on. Everytime she's out of sight I'm agitated, but sheseems ok.
Yo can't account fot the nutters in life, but you can't wrap 'em up in cotton wool either.
I bought ther a watch and taught her how to use it, and she knows if she's late she's had it.
Santa may bring a moblie phone so I can nag from afar!!!!!
cougie    pirate
28/10/2002 at 01:52
I've been cycling seriously for over 20 years now, and worn a hard shell helmet for about 12 of those.

I must have crashed on the road about half a dozen times (mainly ice and silly things - nothing serious), and loads more when I used to race Mountain bikes. On none of the on road occasions has my head ever hit the ground - but I still wear the helmet.

Can't understand parents going for rides with kids, and making Jr. wear the crash hat whilst they wobble away without one.

Take your kiddies down to the forest and get them to ride some trails round there - that should bring their bike handling skills on a treat, so they won't be quite as wobbly ?

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 24 of 24 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.