Know anything about electrics or electronics?

8 messages
20/08/2012 at 15:42

I'm planning an outdoor party for my wife's birthday and want to use my ipod dock but there is no mains power. I will need it to last about 4-5 hours if possible.

In leyman's terms, how can i do this without huge expense or engineering know-how?

Someone said i can use a 12v battery with an invertor, but to be honest I've no idea what that means. Can anyone help?

20/08/2012 at 15:47
Try going to Maplins. They might have something there. They may even have a 12v battery with an invertor.
20/08/2012 at 16:42

Depends how much power you need. Battery with an inverter (or maybe a computer UPS) will do it if it's a few hundred watts, more than that and you're probably looking at hiring a generator.

20/08/2012 at 16:45

I predict a trip to maplins - thanks for answering my off-message post!

20/08/2012 at 16:51

As an alternative, did you consider a cordless/ battery powered ipod speaker? You can still hook it up to your ipod and the sound quality may be better?

Btw if Maplin don't have what you need, try a camping store.



Edited: 20/08/2012 at 16:59
20/08/2012 at 18:28

Can you park the car near by and use the 12v power either from the cigar lighter or battery to run an invertor?

Or see if any campers / builders can lend you a small generator - even an 650w will do.

Like this:

This would even run outside lights for you.

20/08/2012 at 22:22
Yeah, wanted to avoid anything noisy or smoky. No to car, I don't think you can get 200 meters leads
20/08/2012 at 22:22
Know what? You're a helpful bunch. More replies to this than training plan queries!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
8 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.
Forum Jump  

RW Forums