Lancashire Runners

A place to discuss running in Lancashire

201 to 220 of 729 messages
06/04/2013 at 19:01
I prefer running at that time it's nice and quiet and not much traffic.
06/04/2013 at 22:45

yes running when its quite is nice in a way and early morning is nice, esp when its sunny.

07/04/2013 at 07:53

slowly waking up and having my breakfast in time for a 12 mile run.....its another sunny day so im really looking forward to it.

Challenge wanaka on 4, looks an amazing setting for a sports event.

Good luck to any one race and have a good one anyone who is out running this morning.

07/04/2013 at 10:06
I did some cross training this morning and did a 15 mile bike ride, a good work out, it was nice and sunny and all peaceful, Heaven lol
Edited: 07/04/2013 at 10:11
07/04/2013 at 13:31
Just back from blackpool . half marathon was a good one.plenty of crowds about giving good support. i didnt pb but got 1hr 42mins. got to be happy with that cos ive not done any running in a month cos of last weeks bike ride.it telks later in race when u havent been putting the miles in though.hey but how nice is it to run in the sun
07/04/2013 at 15:47
Well done Rick, I tried to get in that one but left it too late.
08/04/2013 at 13:38

Ah wekk dine Rick, thats good going considering what you were doing the week before.

I have still not booked a race for this month thinking about the Fleetwood 10 Mile. Any one done it before ?

Any yes the weekend was good weather for running, we just need this cold wind to drop and then it a be good times.

I am already looking forward to watching the London Marathon and its still two weeks away.

12/04/2013 at 11:38
Need some advice friends.ive not done much running last 3 months.but done loads on my bike.ive done 2 half marathons.last one being last week.i did a 10 mile run last nite.and am planning a 21 mile run sunday.i really want to enter manchester marathon on 28th april.whats your thoughts on me doing it plz? is it silly to try do you think with not doing the weeks and weeks of training? the 2 half marathons did hurt me but i ran them a full min a mile under my normal pace time. my thoughts are to slow down and try run it at my normal 8.30 per mile.really want manchester race. HELP lol
12/04/2013 at 13:11
My advice would be to leave well alone. To not do much running for 3 months and then jump from a 10 mile run to a 21 mile run is silly. You'll end up with an injury. You could well end up spending the summer on the treatment table unable to run or ride your bike.

Why not build up your your mileage gradually and aim for an autumn marathon? Just entering one at the last minute with hardly any base mileage and training is asking for trouble.

I've entered the 3 peaks race at the end of April, built a solid mileage of between 55-65 miles a week since early January. 20 milers off road at the weekends, two speed sessions during the week, running twice a day during the week and after reccying the route (23 miles) it left me unable to do a track session last night.

you've got to respect the distance.
12/04/2013 at 13:58

I would go with what matt says rick. The marathon needs sixteen weeks focused training, for the event itself , starting from a solid base.

You could maybe do it and get round, but it would hurt and might put you off marathons for life.......So hold fire and maybe look for a marathon in September, if you really want to do one this year. Again matt does advice this.

12/04/2013 at 14:10
Gutted.i did expect this could be the advice i would get back.and think i will take your advice sadly.serves me right for not putting the miles in over winter.thanks anyway guys. i will prob target chester in sept then.dam that bike of mine lol
12/04/2013 at 16:23
The first race I ever entered was Edinburgh marathon in 2011. I thought I'd done the mileage over the previous 4 months and I although I'd done a few 16/18 mile training runs I only did one 20 miler.

On the twenty miler I took a bottle of lucozade and a pocket full of jelly beans and ran it in 2 hours 15 mins. Brilliant I thought, I'm going to run sub 3 hours in my first ever race. I went through half way in 1.27 and felt good so thought I'd try and up the pace to give me a bit of scope if I tired.

17 miles onwards was the worst experience I've ever had. I must have stopped to walk 30 times, I nearly took a lady out at the drink station as I tried to grab a bottle. I ended up led on my back with a spectator helping me with cramp in both legs. I literally watched a 1000 people run past me from the 17 mile point. I ended up hobbling over the line in 3 hours 30.

I've definitely learnt some lessons from that experience.
12/04/2013 at 16:43

My first marathon was all Edinburgh (Must be a good one for first timers) and like matt, i too had only done one twenty mile run.

I came in at the half way point only one minute slower than my HM PB and again like matt the later half of the marathon was a struggle. I think from the 20 mile point, it was more of a shuffle than anything and I came in at 04:13....i had thought id make 03:30 at one point!!!

Since then ive done London and Preston marathons and in preston i finished in 03:48, so getting closer to what i want. I think it takes a few marathons to truly get to grips with in and i certainly found my third one went how i planned it and i managed a strong finish, two minutes ahead of my best hope time.

In training i had four 20 miles and one 22 mile run, so that probably helped too, but i do still think it takes a couple of goes at the distance to get into the groove. Race wise in the months running up to a marathon dont do anything shorter than 10 Miles is also good advice i think.

12/04/2013 at 17:43
I did a lot of 18 mile plus runs leading up to the preston marathon.i was going along well ahead of time upto the 18 mile mark then after that i had pain in joints that was killing me.my times dropped off from that point.i conned myself telling myself it was the wind and rains fault lol. was still happy to get home in 3.43mins. i know in my mind with a flat race and no wind or rain i can do 3.30. will hammer hills and canals round here over the summer.has anyone done chester marathon?
12/04/2013 at 17:54

the weather was terrible at Preston, at lot of runners nipples suffered big time!!! lol ouch!!!

You need need to work out a good pace plan rick and try and stick to it, that way you get around how you want. Thats what i did at Preston, although apart of me feels maybe i held back too much, but then i am still pleased with the result so its all good.

14/04/2013 at 13:08
Well guys i went out and did my 21 mile run. the wind was a killer.it knocked my time down to 3hrs 5mins. No pains in joints and legs feel ok now.i know in my heart i can do this manchester run.ive a marathon behind me. 2 half marathons in last 2 month. 54 mile bike race over fells. 50 every week riding to work. and i refuse to stop later in runs then acid dosent attack my mucles.plus i want that medal so much. if i thought i couldnt get round in under 4hrs i wouldnt think about it. come guys back me plz lol. hope everyones had good runs this weekend.
14/04/2013 at 13:59
Entirely up to yourself Rick. Im just off the belief that when I do a marathon it will be to achieve the best time I possibly can. I can't understand just wanting to get round.
14/04/2013 at 15:47
I've not done a full marathon yet, I've got my second half next month then I hope to do a full one, my thoughts will be to just get round without stopping.
14/04/2013 at 16:12

21 mile run well done rick, i did just 12 today, in the rain and wind!! Typical that the weather finally warms up and it rains!!

I would go with matts advice, but if you really want to do it, then do it. You could always wait till next year you know lol

Hello Paul, im guessing your planning on doing a marathon soon based on your post.

14/04/2013 at 19:46

Hello to everyone,Been a long time since I have posted from home, away working means I missed the Cartmel run (my first one too) been training whilst away and now its going to be in at the deep end with Coniston Marathon. Niggling foot injury which I posted in health forum holding me back a bit now. Jealous reading about everyones brilliant races but just wanted to say and well done to everyone, hope I can join the list come June

Rick, my experience travelling and from playing sport (not running) is the world is full of people who against all odd's accomplish amazing things and defy everything to do it. I think it trickles down into everything we do so if you think you can then know you can and do it dude

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.