Lancashire Runners

A place to discuss running in Lancashire

261 to 280 of 728 messages
24/04/2013 at 13:16

Thats a real shame Moobs, im sure if you search around the net your find information about it. Try Patientslikeme.com you might find someone on there that has had it.

Nothing like that feeling when your number arrives hey Rick, then you know its finally time.

I did an easy 4 mile last night ahead of my Sunday 10M race and will do the same on Thursday.

24/04/2013 at 15:12
I was thinking of a run thurs but not sure if its too close to race day. legs are fine after 7 mile last nite.im booked on veladrome next sat then i might go for burnley 10k start of june.
24/04/2013 at 16:55

your be ok to run thursday rick, just dont go too far or fast. East Short run.

On the week that i did the Preston Marathon, i had run on the Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. If you manage it correctly it is of benefit to keep running, as four days with out running will cause your fitness to drop slightly. So easy runs about a minute per mile slower than race pace, short distances 3 - 5 miles and your be fine.

What is the Burnley 10k like, ive noticed there are a few races over that way these days but have yet to venture over.

24/04/2013 at 17:00
I picked a leaflet up other week abt it.website is runforall i think
24/04/2013 at 17:15
Not running for 4 days will have absolutely no effect on fitness. The idea of tapering is so that when your training has reached it's peak, the following 2 - 3 weeks of tapering are where you're body and muscles are recovering and storing glycogen so that come race day you're ready to go. Just a steady jog each day will keep the legs ticking over and even put some strides into one. If I was racing Sunday I'd have Friday off and jog Saturday.

The burnley 10km isn't exactly PB friendly. At the 5km point the race is up pike hill which is a significant elevation gain from the start point in the town centre.

What goes up must come down though.
25/04/2013 at 13:45

Well i am just going off what ive read in the Advanced Marathoning book, but if you are carrying on running without a break any way, then it shouldnt affect you at all and youve nothing to worry about.

I guess if you have four days off excerise and as a runners your eating up the carbs then it would have some affect on the body.

Pike hill, your the second person to mention that to me this week. With hills i usually, just try and pace myself up it and then use the downards to gain on or pass those who have thrown their all into getting up the thing.

27/04/2013 at 09:07

Hi All,

I did the 13.2 mile run this morning and got a PB I knocked over 6mins off my previous time and got 1hr 55mins 40secs, I'm pleased with that, as it was a fairly hilly course.

Edited: 27/04/2013 at 09:08
27/04/2013 at 15:33

Well done Paul- is your HM in 2 weeks? I hope you didn't push yourself too hard today and have a nice restful taper so you get a good time at Chester- nothing more gutting than peaking too soon for a race! 

Rick- good luck tomorrow in Manchester. Hope it's a good day out for you and it doesn't hurt too much! 

Is your 10miler tomorrow SJ? Good luck for that. 

Hope everyone else is having a good running week? I did Preston parkrun this morning and have realised that after a run of 6 PBs out of 7 in September/October last year it has now been 6 months of no progress. So that's definitely something to work on over the summer! I think my pre-run Friday night dinners/ drinks may contribute to the poor form as I am feeling quite lightheaded/ a bit deyhdrated when I run even I've made sure I had a drink and a snack before I go. 

27/04/2013 at 17:29

Hi penguingirl, yeah, Chester in 2 weeks, no I didn't push too hard today it was a steady pace, I've been doing some good training and will taper steadily ready for race day.

27/04/2013 at 17:58

Hope Matt had a good run out on the 3 peaks race today.  Well done Paul, sounds like you're on for a good time at Chester.

No racing for me this weekend and have been a bit lazy - missed parkrun today as had a late night last night and was a bit hungover, bah. Well done for making it to parkrun penguin.

Good luck to anyone racing tomorrow.  I'm hoping to get up nice and early and enjoy a long, slow run 

27/04/2013 at 20:22

Hello Lou, yes my !0M is tomorrow so i ducked out of ParkRun and had a lay-in. Sorry to hear youve hit a rut time wise but you had been busy with Uni and you did take a bit of break so that would of had an effect. You should try and get in a long run each week and a speed session and then hopefully your time will come back down.

Well done Paul on your time and good to hear your going to be tapering , as the Penguin is right , it would have a negative effect if you didnt.

Thanks for all the good lucks for those not races, try and get in a nice run tomorrow.

I have had my pasta and am now hoping to get to bed early, but as i slept in till 10 today, I should be up on my sleep. Just need lots of water this evening. Bit nervous, my PB is about 1hr 12mins so, will aim to beat that if i can.

27/04/2013 at 21:20

28/04/2013 at 07:36

Good luck to those racing today , make it a good one,

28/04/2013 at 08:42

Good luck today Rick. 

I managed 3.31 yesterday at the 3 peaks. I absolutely dled going up ingleborough and my last gel had burst in my race pouch. (Fatal error only taking just enough) I went from the top 20 to finish in 37th out of around 800. 

A touch disappointed about not finishing strongly but lessons learnt and the support on the route was immense. 

28/04/2013 at 11:16

Hope your ten miler went well SJ, and I'm sending good vibes to Rick as he pounds the streets of Manchester.

Well done on 3 peaks matt, although sounds a bit frustrating for you- I guess you'll just have to give it another bash next year if you feel there's unfinished business. Still fantastic to come in the top 5%. 

Yep you're right SJ- I just think I was hoping that some of my HM fitness from last month might have rubbed off, but I guess that's not the case. I think I've also got used to runnng in sub zero temperatures so am noticing the 'heat' more. I'm trying to mix up my sessions a bit now ahead of Manchester in 4 weeks- so far this week I did a short interval (ish, very unstructured) session on Monday, a 5 mile plod on Wednesday, parkrun yesterday and am going to do 6/7 miles this afternoon. Right after I've done some studying. Fun. 

28/04/2013 at 14:16

Well done matt thats an impressive time and finish, shame about your gel!! But i think you can be proud of your time.

Fleetwood 10 mile was really tough going, as we were running into strong winds for a lot of the race. It felt like you were running up hill. I was blown sideways and backwards, people were losing the caps as well....But despite this, i got a PB of 1h 11m 27s, which is down from 1h12m24s. So i am very pleased with that.

Hi Lou your plan sounds a good step in the right direction. Mileage and speed work will get you there. And yes, we are all going to have to relearn about wearing less clothing when running as the temperature heats up.

28/04/2013 at 20:27

thanks everone for good wishes.manchester was a really good marathon.crowds were amazing with their support.wow mattl that's a very good run.thanks for vibes pg,ok here it is.i went through half way point at 1hr 45mins.however my lack of training found me out in 2nd half of race,i finished it in 3hrs 44mins. a few seconds more than my preston run.as mattl told me before the training is a must really,i am glad I did it though it was a brill days running , my son asked to push on at half way and he went on to do a pb of 3hrs 28mins, very happy and proud of him.i may go for chester now but it will be train train train lol, once again thanks for all the support.ps if I had took all the jelly babies on offer today I could have opened a sweet shop with them lol.

28/04/2013 at 20:33

sj well done also today,i run 2 week back in very strong winds so I know what it takes out of you,so well done on your pb,

28/04/2013 at 22:16

Well done rick. 

Just think what you could run if you had a good marathon training programme under your belt. 

29/04/2013 at 07:10

Well done Rick.

Thats me entered into ballot for London marathon so fingers crossed.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.