Lancashire Runners

A place to discuss running in Lancashire

321 to 340 of 729 messages
13/05/2013 at 21:37

Wow. Very good running sjpc14 that's a very good time.paul did you run through the city at Chester? Think I'm going to do Chester marathon. Just not sure I'd like running most of it out in the sticks lol.had a good 7 mile run tonite from ossy over to range then   Round canal back to ossy,

13/05/2013 at 21:48

Yeah it's s bit of both city and sticks, in the full it takes in some of Wales also and country lanes , I'm thinking of going for it, it's meant to be a good course.

14/05/2013 at 09:32

Thanks guys and dont worry about a marathon taking in the sticks Rick, quite a few of them do,

I had a day off running, yesterday to give my body a bit of rest after Sunday, Altough i did still walk to work. Will return tonight, with perhaps a nice four. Ive got the Freakleton HM in four weeks, thinking of doing 14 16 14 12, as my long runs.

14/05/2013 at 11:20

Hi!

Looking for nice races for late July and August. Any recommendations? Is Elswick Express a quick / PB course. I`m due to beat my 10 mile PB! And Windmill HM?

14/05/2013 at 12:36

The Cuerden Valley Badger 10k in August is a good one, off road, friendly and challenging.

14/05/2013 at 14:37

Ive done the Windmill HM, it is pretty flat, but its on the cost, so you have to deal with strong winds.

Try the Ukresults website, plenty of races are listed on there.

14/05/2013 at 21:10

That was a painful 4 mile, but worth it im sure. Hope everyones had a good run out tonight.

15/05/2013 at 06:32

After last Sundays race I've decided to rest this week, will be out at weekend.

15/05/2013 at 09:06

Thats good thinking Paul, after doing a marathon i tend to also have a full week off.

15/05/2013 at 10:07

Thanks SJ. I did the St Anne`s a couple of times so I guess it`s a very similar course. I know UKResults; was just looking for advice on good ones for this Summer.

15/05/2013 at 10:44

Hi Egyptian Toe

After a winter of targeting 10 mile and half races decided to utilise the fitness and have a bash at a few more shorter races over psring/summer (don't usually race much if at all over spring/summer). Probably won't make all of them put the race plan I have gleaned based on quick courses and hard training route (Badger 10k) is:

Tuesday 28th May 7pm - Welcome Inn 5k                                    

Saturday 1st June 6:30pm - Catforth 5k                                      

Thursday 6th June 7:30pm - Badger 10k                                      

Tuesday 25th June 7pm - Welcome Inn 5k           

Thursday 4th July 7:30pm - Badger 10k                                       

Sunday 7th July  10am - Catforth 10k                                         

Saturday 20th July 10:30am - Elswick Express 10m                                 

Tuesday 30th July 7pm - Welcome Inn 5k                                    

Thursday 1st August 7:30pm - Badger 10k                                              

Saturday 17th August  6:30pm - Catforth 5k

If my memory is correct you pop across to relatives in Penowrtham so the Saturday nights races might be a good a good fit.

15/05/2013 at 12:40

The badger race is a good one, as you cant fit in on a Thursday night and still get your long Sunday run in. I might give one of those welcome tavern 5k runs a go. Ive not done a proper 5k race for a few years. Does any one know what route they use ? I imagine they use the tram road.

How come you dont race much in Summer Max ?

17/05/2013 at 21:04

sj think you live near southport. whats southport  half marathon like?

17/05/2013 at 21:47

Thanks Maxpower. That list is useful. Didn`t notice that there were a few evening races at Catforth. Quick course too. Only ever done 2 x 5k`s but that (annoyingly) seems to be my best distance. Might look at them, plus Elswick. Hoping to do a marathon 0n June 23rd so a few weeks after that would suit . . .

18/05/2013 at 14:05

I live in Walton-le-dale rick and ive not doe that one sorry.

Whats everyone's running plans this weekend ? I skipped ParkRun Ive one or two twinges after the 10k race last Sunday, so decided a rest of fast running was in order. Out doing 14 miles tomorrow morning mind.

18/05/2013 at 17:09

I've rested for a week since last Sundays half at Chester, back on the road tomorrow. I'm thinking of running the sport in the port 10k in Ellesmere Port on Father's Day, should be fun.

Edited: 18/05/2013 at 17:10
19/05/2013 at 14:38

So how did you get on Paul and everyone else. I did a 14 mile, but found it tough going. I think i through in too many hills!!

http://www.runningahead.com/maps/e62abfb68cb94cc18171b33687813a9c?unit=mi

But saying that im pleased to have done it, as in the long run it can only do me good i guess........

19/05/2013 at 19:56

Rick I'm from Southport and have done a couple of 10ks there. I really enjoyed them as Southport is so flat, although it can be windy- but in July that might help you keep cool. I'm pretty sure it's the first year for the HM, and I don't know whose organising it so you've got a bit of a gamble there. I looked at the route and it looks pretty good- several smaller loops around the lake/ prom/ coast road so options for spectators to walk from diffferent parts of the course to support in multiple places. I also think it's part of the Tour of Merseyside that is that that week so the numbers should be boosted by that. I would be doing it myself if I didn't have 4 exams the week before so can't combine the long runs with revision. 

I'm having a gentle week this week before Manchester 10k next Sunday. I've been placed in quite a fast wave (the 2nd of 5) so I'm terrified I will be running along on my own because I think everyone will be faster. But hopefully that will be good for my pace. I've also just splashed out and bought a garmin so I can pace myself better as I've been finding it really hard to gauge my effort at parkruns and either over or under-estimate my final time and I'd like to be more consistent. 

19/05/2013 at 21:04

thanks penguingirl. I might have a go at it.i did a 7 mile canal run this morning,then next weekend ive got 4 days in lakes so will prob be out at 7am every morning running.anybody here been running around or near  Keswick ?

20/05/2013 at 10:00

A garmin lou, how fancy he he. And dont worry about being in a fast pen, there be plenty of people in there slower than you or who are doing their first race. Plus its a big event so i doubt your be on your own. Youve been fairly consistant with ParkRun, getting around 28 mins each time, so i think perhaps if you complete the first 5k of the race in 30-32 mins, that should set you up for a good finish.....

Your have to let us know what Southport is like then Rick, if its the first one, your our event tester lol

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.