Lancashire Runners

A place to discuss running in Lancashire

21 to 40 of 713 messages
04/12/2012 at 11:56

Its great to see such enthusiasm from a runner Lytham and well done on looking out for newbies. I try and do that too, some people try running , struggle and give up. But if they just knew a little bit more then they would really enjoy it, so always help out the new guys!

Sounds like your doing just fine. I have a load of set races and challenges i want to complete in running and once ive done them i might stop running. But till then im really enjoying. A group of us head out on Sundays for a long run and ive got the ParkRun Preston on Saturday and those social elements really help make running more run. Midweek is when i concentrate on my own running and get in some good sessions.

Ironholgs    pirate
04/12/2012 at 12:11

All sounds good.

Lytham sounds like you need a P.A. to keep your race diary intact

I'm a member of COLT ( City of Lancaster Triathlon ) and I look after the mid week running session, hills, intervals etc. We have some bloody quick people, 5-6 min miles ( not me ) but we always regroup so that the slowest doesn't get left behind, that way they don't get discouraged.

I compete in triathlons but running is always my favourite discipline.

04/12/2012 at 12:16

Triathlons hey! ive always fancied doing one of those just so i could said i have done it. But not so sure about the cold waters of the UK lol

04/12/2012 at 12:27

Thanks SJ, you're bang on about the social side too, I've only been a member since May but have made a good number of new friends and it's great to encuorage and help each other.

I paced one of our newer members around the Guys 10 on Sunday as she's going for her silver standard at FV60, but has little concept as yet as to how to pace herself (a Garmin is top of her Christmas list ). We both came in comfortably ahead of schedule and the feeling at the end was magic.

It was never going to be a problem for her in reality (based on a recent hm performance), but she just needed that bit of help and reassurance that she was doing it right and not speeding off and blowing up!

The fact that after little more than 6 months I can be a real help to less experienced runners is brilliant (listen to me talking about less experienced after 6 months, hohoho), it gives you a real sense of achievement and the camaraderie is terrific. Equally the help I've had from people who've been through similar situations to myself is invaluable and inspiring and it only seems natural to give something back.

Without the newbies ultimately there'd be no club, I always go out of my way to help them relax and settle in if they look like they need it.

Gonna shut up now before I sound like a bleedin' evangelist

ps you'll never stop, running is like Royston Vasey

04/12/2012 at 12:29

SJ - I've done a bit of open water swimming this year (lake and sea), get a decent wetsuit and cap and the cold ain't a problem

Ironholgs    pirate
04/12/2012 at 12:41

Yeah a decent wetsuit, a couple of caps and you'll be fine. Open water triathlons tend to be me late april to september, the cold wears off after a few minutes when you can no longer feel your hands or feet, and you've got over the ice cream headache.

I'm not really selling it am I

04/12/2012 at 12:45

lol umm no lol.... might do one still one day, maybe a year or two down the line. I bet its pretty good to do them mind.

And Lytham, yes you've had a pretty amazing rise into running and its great what your doing. keep up the good work. And yes your probably right about the not quiting running, but the intention is there lol

Ironholgs    pirate
04/12/2012 at 12:50

Great fun - honest. I've been doing them for 6 years now.

04/12/2012 at 12:52
Ironholgs wrote (see)

Lytham sounds like you need a P.A. to keep your race diary intact

Nah, just a very big calendar in my office so I don't double book

04/12/2012 at 12:55

Maybe i will seek your advice when i finally get brave enough to race dirivng into a cold pond somewhere for a tri

04/12/2012 at 12:57

ahh, the joys of ice cream headache

I'm a fair bit off a tri yet (Bradley Wiggins has absolutely nothing to worry about with me, I am crap on a racing bike) but I quite fancy one of the lake swims like the Buttermere Sportive. I've had to switch to front crawl because of a shoulder problem (tendons, ouch) and it is actually much easier once you get into a steady rhythm.

My only problem in lakes is going in a straight line

04/12/2012 at 12:58

SJ, don't think driving in is allowed

Ironholgs    pirate
04/12/2012 at 13:26

yeah driving would make it much easier

Front crawl is much easier and efficient, lets you conserve the energy for the bike and run.

never done one of the organised lake swims, have swum in derwentwater in april and that was a whole new definition of cold.

Did my first run on the fells a couple of weeks ago over Ingleborough and loved it, something I hope to get into a bit more.

04/12/2012 at 13:36

really, blast i'll stick to diving then :P

I fancy tackling some fell races on day, in fact apart of me likes to imagine that i could do that snowdon race one day..... yer i know.

Ironholgs    pirate
04/12/2012 at 13:41

Snowdon is a big hill

04/12/2012 at 13:44

lol i know, i'm thinking its quite a leap from road running lol but its kinda on my hit list, in pencil mind you!!!

It would be amazing to get up there.

Ironholgs    pirate
04/12/2012 at 14:18

I agree it would be - I'm sure it's doable with the right sort of prep.

04/12/2012 at 14:25

oh yes im sure it is, just not right now lol but one day who knows. my target list was the marathons of London, Edinburgh, Cardiff, Belfast and Dublin with Paris and Rome Pencilled on and then as a bonus the Snowdon run. But there is no Cardiff marathon and I have since completed London and Edinburgh so part way though it.

04/12/2012 at 16:04
My next target was going to be blackpol/manchester marathons but after reading posts on here.i want a race over xmas.anyone know of any good ones near accrington over xmas?
04/12/2012 at 16:09

Depends how far you want to travel rick, there is the Longridge one on Sunday and the Ribble Valley 10k is coming up soon. Check Ukresults and see what they have up.

21 to 40 of 713 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.