Lancashire Runners

A place to discuss running in Lancashire

441 to 460 of 728 messages
19/06/2013 at 14:42

No, it`s a new one in Shrewsbury.

19/06/2013 at 17:10

Oh right, your have to let us know how it goes. How big is each lap, in terms of miles ?

20/06/2013 at 14:03

It`s even so 6.5 each lap, I guess. Certainly will be interesting mentally.

20/06/2013 at 15:55

that will be interesting, how are they keeping place of everyones positions ? Is it chip timed ?

20/06/2013 at 21:47

sjpc liking the blog.

you can do a sub 3:30 off a 42-43 minute 10k so you're there already, around a 1:34-36 half?

Sub 40 10k and Sub 1:30 or close is well under 3:30, closer to 3:15. Though some people have the speed, some endurance.

sjpc, I'm at your goal times currently.

Egyptian toe... Beeer!!! I like your blog more.

I'm doing Shrewsbury also, pacing a friend for around 3:45. What time you looking for?

21/06/2013 at 08:11

Who doesn't prefer beer hey lol

Where you based Cat ?

I have to say the first two marathons I did, I didn't train enough, but at Preston when I got 3:48 I had trained a lot better, more miles, more speed work, I was even at the 20 mile point on 3 hours, so pleased to finish with 48min 10k

My half PB is now 1:32:48, since Sunday

21/06/2013 at 09:38

Morning all!

The Shrewsbury race is chipped and the laps are all pretty central so should be supported if the weather is ok. I just want to be under 4 hours tbh. It`s only my second full and, although my HM time (1.37) suggests that ought to be well doable, I want sub-4 in the bag and then find a quicker race for the Autumn and look for 3.3#s, maybe.

Thanks for the blog compliments! I did a new article last night and it`s great to see loads of sudden hits from all over - China, Costa Rica, Romania, etc!

SJPC - Your HM PB would suggest a much quicker mara for you now!

21/06/2013 at 12:55

I'm liking that your beer blog is an international hit Egyptian.T thats great going and im sure your get your sub4 mara.

As for me, i'll be happy, if come October i cross the line in Dublin with a PB , thats my first goal. If i can get sub 3:40 that would be fantastic. But its interesting hearing comments from people, suggesting i should be able to make sub 3:30. Interestingly in the back of the Advanced Marathoning book, they have a grid of times and if, i did replicate my HM time that day, then i should be on for a really good time......i guess its just a matter of being able to sustain the pace.

21/06/2013 at 14:12

All of your times are pipe dreams at the moment for me. 

I had to work hard to run 1:59 at Potters Arf this month but when I checked my Garmin account I've run a whopping total of 8hrs since 01/01/13 including that race so it's no surprise I'm no where near to the sub 1:45 I'd like.

I have done 30-40hrs cycling this year which will have helped but I know I need time on my feet so I guess I need a better balance of training if I want to improve my times.

21/06/2013 at 14:42
Edited: 21/06/2013 at 14:42
21/06/2013 at 17:03

ah but you've got a good solid base to work off their Oggy, sub 2hr, certainly puts you in the better half or HM finishers, so you can push on from there. I'm pretty sure, when i did my first HM i finished in around 1:48, and its just been about eating away at that, improving my training, increasing my miles, my race day tactics / preparation and so on.

The Lancaster half, in November is pretty flat, from what i remember. So perhaps you want to take aim at the one.

21/06/2013 at 21:23

Fair point SJPC, I'll definitely check out Lancaster. 

21/06/2013 at 23:53

Sjpc, I'm in the northwest merseyside, Wirral area but often do races Preston, lancs, Yorkshire too.

Oggy, same here my first half was 2:11 long time ago, chip away at those times and it will shoot down. I've done Lancaster too, pretty good race. Not completely flat, but very runnable, well organised.

If you want really flat, Raceway half in Stratford a week or so after in November (or March) isn't that far from northwest, maybe 90 min drive, and 11am Saturday start is handy. Very flat. Very. Like 10ft over 13 miles

Sjpc, your 1:32 half gets you well under 3:30 with the endurance right (5x 20m+?). You're never going to "replicate" your half time during a marathon, no need to either. Sub 3:30 only needs 1:44 half remember. 8 min miles. I did 3:28 off a 1:35 half time last year and have gone lower since.

Before that 3:48 off a 1:39 half, so all good for Egyptian Toe on Sunday. Sensible to get the sub 4 In the bag.

ET, if you see a runner, all red club vest, Martin on the front. Say hello.

22/06/2013 at 20:33

Hmm excellent tip FRC, im certainly going to bare what you've said in mind. and have a good think about it

Hope every one is getting some good miles in. I did the Preston PArkRUn in 20:31 today and im pleased with that, as I wasn't 100% and I had done the Freckleton HM last week. So I think I must be getting stronger and recovering quicker from things now.

24/06/2013 at 20:29

Hi.

Race went well thanks. Shrewsbury marathon was in its first year and there were lots of teething problems.

We started 20 minutes late and the course was not very well thought out; narrow coned lanes with contra-flow of HMers coming other way, 3 lanes of switchbacks in the Quarry park, water running out and mile markers missing or just wrong. Also RW listed it has `flat` yet there were 4 decent climbs on each lap. That said, it was enjoyable as it`s a great town and the locals were very supportive. I found it impossible to keep track of my pacing and for large parts of the race I didn`t know how many miles I had done but running on feel over a hilly course probably suited me. I needed to do the last 1.2 miles in 10 minutes to hit my dream time of 3.49 and I did it by 15 seconds. My last (4th) lap was my quickest of all with a big negative split so very happy.

My current HM is 1.37 but that was early in my training so I feel I could be a minute or few quicker. Converting to marathon time is always a tough call. The LDRs really are key as is experience imo. Shrewsbury is a tough course but I feel that I ought to be capable of a 3.3#, maybe low 3#s on a flatter route. With my race plan, I could not have run faster on the day. I wanted 3.59, set off at 9m/m pace (so 3.55), or at least what I thought was that pace. Very interesting reading cat`s times; a target for the likes of me and sjpc!?

25/06/2013 at 08:18

Well done Egyptian.T on what seems to have been a chaotic  day....hopefully they will get sorted out next time, as it sounds like a nice route and well done on your time, that's really great!!

Thanks for the detailed report, always helps to get the inside knowledge on a race.

05/07/2013 at 09:51

Hows everyone's running going ?

Im injury, seems to be on the mend, i managed 8 miles last night.

Im off to Preston ParkRun tomorrow and doing 14 on Sunday.

05/07/2013 at 14:35

be careful. Coming back from injury and running hard at a parkrun after an 8 miler then followed the day after with 14, it has potential disaster written all over it. slow and steady.  

I ran in the northern 5000m champs at sport city the other week. I threw myself in the deep end with some quality runners. As there was 22 on the start line the starter wanted to split us into two lines with the quickest at the front. 

"can those looking to run sub 15.10 start on the front line" he said. 

About 15 of them put their hands up. Haha. What am I doing here I thought. Was a great experience though. I came 18/19th I think in 16.20. I've since ran one of the Lancaster 5k series and ran 16.08 so heading in the right direction. 

05/07/2013 at 14:42

Do they still give out a glass and a bottle of Stella at the Lancaster 5ks?  I've only don't one of those and enjoyed it despite the unusual Saturday evening time. 

05/07/2013 at 15:34

great running matt and thanks for the sound advice, im having a rest day today and with ParkRun i usual do a fast 1st lap, easy 2nd and then finish strongly on the 3rd lap. So i wont be over doing that too much......And on Sunday, i the plan I'm following does set a pace for me, so i guess i can take it how i feel.

The thought of getting 16.20 in a 5k and not making the top10 is a little mind blowing to me and shows the high level your at matt, well done your doing great.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.