Last finisher's lounge

Place for peeps who've finished last in a race to hang out

81 to 94 of 94 messages
21/04/2009 at 12:47

The worst thing about being last in a race has to be when they follow you round in an ambulance. A bit off putting.

21/04/2009 at 21:33
I think I've found a way not to be last; I've booked to run in a Race for Life in a couple of weeks' time. Only 5k and I know from watching one that a lot of people walk it; or even, wander it. After I'd entered it discovered my (adult) daughter has entered the same one. She'll probably finish in half the time I do, but says she has a friend running in it who's only just started running, so maybe I'll beat her, but more likely not.  
24/04/2009 at 10:44

Finished last in a road race a few years back in 1998. It was the fist year I had started running again after abotu 13 years away. I have been back running for 9 months and racing for 7 months and in those races and realised there was quite a mix of ability and whilst not a whippet I generally finished in the top 2/3rds.

However was visiting the North-East and saw an evening 5 mile race advertised in Newton Aycliffe (30th December)  and went along. As soon as I got there I started to get nervous. It was clear it was a small field and then I heard someone saying it was basically part of a league series that was pretty much frequented by good local club runners. Now really nervous. We got out onto the course. 2 laps around an industrial estate (complete with smoking chimneys - nice )

Ran well, first sub 8 minute mile pace race and a 5 mile PB of almost a minute but yes I was last. RAN A PB AND CAME LAST   Quite amusing afterwards because somebody asked how it went and I said I struggled with the pace of the field and they said well as least you weren't the guy in the orange top at the back. Long pause but I decided it had to be done and replied "well actually that was me!"

Since then joined a club who twisted my arm back into some track racing e.g. 5,000M, 1500M etc. Have come last a few times in those and in the 5,000M regularly lapped but still running faster than 5k o nthe roads and quite enjoying it.

I decided to enter the 3,000M Steeplechase last year for a point after a guy from another club and I dared each other to run it. No I can't hurdle and wasn't even trying it (S/C hurdles don't move if you hit them !!!). So we vaulted climbed the barriers but the two of us were together and after the final water-jump (well Water bath would be more accurate) decided we would cross the line together hand-in-hand. Good laugh but the finishing method was all around the club in minutes (yep mobiles going to the A team at another match and various coaches) and still getting ribbed for it

24/04/2009 at 23:56
Brooks  - That's a great  post !   I love the idea of coming last but still getting a PB. Bitter sweet !   I guess I could do that if the field was small enough.  I usually check the number of entrants in advance and only enter races with a minimum of 400.  That generally puts me in the last 10.  Maybe if I go for a field of 200  I could get a PB and be last.  I quite like that challenge !
25/04/2009 at 00:15

Great post Paul.

Jubillee cup - Barnet Copthall, July 06 I think. This is basically a cup for British leage teams, so being a weedy southern league runner, I was getting a bit worried, having been entered in the 800m!!

I was in lane 8 - they read out all the names, apart from me (going well then!) and then noticed none other than David Bedford standing by the railings next to me!!   *this is getting silly*

But it must as spurred me on, as I was last by 30 metres, but did 2.02 - a PB!!. So RLTW - It can be done, I think alot of people have been last at some point, I suppose we just have to vary the races we do  

I would just enter without checking entries and get stuck in..far too much worrying goes on around here

Edited: 25/04/2009 at 00:17
25/04/2009 at 03:03
Mine came at the jubillee cup as well Simon. That year as well but was at Bedford instead. That said my performance was truly abysmal whilst yours is fairly credible! 2:02 isn't messing around at all.
27/04/2009 at 10:09
Yeah, but it aint getting any better - giving 800's up - its for the kids really, not 36 year olds!!
27/04/2009 at 15:39

I did a series of 4 club runs a couple of years back - set a PB in every one but still came last in 3 out of 4 of them!

I'm going to attempt them again this year but this time I'm doing some proper speed training

29/04/2009 at 08:46
Try a cross-country race with only 80 runners - very good chance of coming last, as I found out last November!
29/04/2009 at 13:07

Simon - 36, I'm 45 and I bet they still haev me running an 800M on Saturday as well as a 5,000M and possibly something else - mind you it is only SML Div 3

The point about low numbers is true but had a shock recently. Like you Simon I don't check race entry numbers and entered the Cockermouth 5.5 as I was on a weeks holiday up in the Lakes. Only after I entered did I happen to look at last year's information and saw 36 entered !!! Oh dear this could be embarassing.

Similar number this year but finished about 2/3rds of the way through so quite happy and got in a good race at the end with a few others plus the memento was an Easter egg

Also there was the race, just once, when I beat the first lady home.... had to outsprint her at the end to do it mind  

29/04/2009 at 13:40

....don't worry - Gareth's desperate for a race

Have fun in the SML!

Lee the Pea    pirate
29/04/2009 at 21:42
Hello All!

I've come last and achieved a PB!! Did the Bute Highland Games 10K last year and came last, time was 78 minutes, about 7 mins faster than the only other 10K i had done! hehehe.

I also ran in the FLM on Sunday (woo hoo!) and although I wasn't last, I had to shuffle on to the pavement while they opened the road at mile 23 ish. Finished in 6:57:55 My knees had given up the ghost at mile 18 though, and I had to walk from there on, although I did manage to run in the last mile. Knee injury last month buggered up the training. Anyway, I'm happy with my time. First marathon, so I just wanted to finish. I had a grand old time. Stopped to chat to my friends and family when I saw them, even manage a few swigs of the beer my friend was having, hahaha. Well, it was hot, and I had to remain hydrated
30/04/2009 at 12:34

Simon - Mr Edwards can go with the A team, I am strictly in the Bs

Lee - Great stuff 7 minute PB !

You broke 7 hours for the marathon as well. 2 minutes 5 seconds slower and you would have been really annoyed. Plus you beat Jordan didn't you. T obe ho9nest I didn't pay much attention but thought I heard she finished in 7 hours plus

Lee the Pea    pirate
30/04/2009 at 12:43
Yeah BtB, I beat Jordan and Peter by about 13 mins.  They were ahead of me the whole way, so I must have passed them in the last mile or so, but I was too focussed on finishing to see anyone at that point!  I am really glad I made it before 7 hours though....although it virtually was 7 hours, I've still got a '6' in their so it made me feel better! hahaha

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
81 to 94 of 94 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.