Lets talk Football

Goal! Goal! Goal!

1 to 20 of 15,263 messages
18/10/2004 at 10:59
I can't believe there isn’t a football thread so here it is. I’m a Liverpool supporter who has been starved of “success” over the years and hoping the Rafael Benitez can put together a team that I can have some faith in. Even though we won on Saturday in many ways it was a fortunate victory as we were very poor in a lot of areas. A better team than Fulham would not have allowed us back into the match. We do not have the ability to create chances for our forwards especially away from home and they need to work harder and move of the ball better.

As for Arsenal can anybody stop them?? On current form the answer is no. I believe that if ManU don’t beat them next Saturday then they could go another season unbeaten.

Anyway hope to talk some more footy with other supporters.

Stylish
18/10/2004 at 11:01
Mr PP is a spurs fan - I have a neaky suspicion that I might be watching footie tonight!!!
18/10/2004 at 11:17
I thought you'd be out running?
18/10/2004 at 11:33
Please don't talk about the "F" word.

Very depressing for anyone of a Scottish persuasion at the moment. :o(
18/10/2004 at 11:41
Hi Nessi. I have to say that Scotland hasn't produced any talent of note for decades. I remember the days of Hansen,King Kenny,Souness etc and then they were a force to be reckon with. Liverpool quite often went up to Scotland to pick up good players.
18/10/2004 at 11:46
Stylish, a great game for us against Fulham. Can't agree that much with the lack of chances, there were quite a lot but we do seem to struggle with Stevie. I also have a snaeking suspicion we'll be the team to beat them, but only if we do it at Anfield, and only if this zonal marking is explained to the players and working by then! We have a good few weeks to get it right though.. and we need it!!

Good to see Chelsea get beaten at the weekend.. here's hoping Arsenal will flatten the Mancs on the weekend as well.

Mr PP must be feeling pretty good right now.. Spurs are playing pretty well this season!

Nessie - I'm Scottish too.. very depressing International scene right now - I reckon we'll be well shot of Vogts after this board meeting they're trying to organise. I hope it'll be Strachan - we may well keep on losing, but at least he'll be entertaining!! The Tartan Army is badly needed at Germany 2006, so I suggest the national team start wearing kilts "the traditional way" and strategic use at free kicks may put the opposition off :-))
18/10/2004 at 11:47
sorry, that should read "struggle without Stevie".

by the way, Biscan looked like all his Christmas' had come at once yesterday.. I was laughing my socks off!
18/10/2004 at 11:48
Walter Smith is being talked about as the next Scotland manager. You poor sods.
18/10/2004 at 11:54
Strachan was the name being bandied about in the Scottish Sunday papers, Gavo.

As Dandy says, he'll be entertaining.

I suspect we'd need divine intervention to get to Germany though.
18/10/2004 at 12:04
Stylish - good to see you sticking up for your Lancastrian cousins and supporting the mighty Man U on Sunday.

I don't know if the @rse will necessarily go another season unbeaten if we don't do them but I do know they can win the Premiership next weekend.

For me it's not about the points and the maths at this stage of the season, it's about the pattern developing. Chelsea aren't getting enough goals and we're nowhere near consistent enough. Even if the ar$e do drop a few games I can't see either of us capitalising.
18/10/2004 at 12:04
I heard Strachan as well but saw Smiffy's name listed somewhere this morning. I hope you get the former. And some defenders if you get the chance
18/10/2004 at 12:06
:oP

(A couple of midfielders and a striker wouldn't go amiss either.)
18/10/2004 at 12:10
Dandy - mr PP is chuffed to bits with spurs - last year he mentioned possible relegation if they didn't get their @rse into gear. New Manager seems to be doing the trick.

Stylish I would much rather be out plodding, but my legs are killing me!! I did the womburn 10k yesterday (nobody mentioned the first 6k being all s*dding up hill!!!)
18/10/2004 at 12:11
I will be at Old Trafford on Sunday (After running the Gin Pit 5 so best get my skates on.........actually that might be cheating)

I've been a season ticket holder with Man U for over 20 years. I've seen some shite, relegation, Paddy Roach, Ralh Milne (Who???)
I,ve also seen some of the best football ever. The last 10 years or so have been like a dream. However.................I know how Arsenal fans are feeling right now. Unbeatable, always going to be entertained, the best in the country.
It pains me to say it but Arsenal are fantastic at the moment.
We can beat them on Sunday as we can beat anyone on our day but I can see Arsenal dominating english footy for a few years.

18/10/2004 at 12:14
Dandy - great to hear from a fellow Pool supporter. We need to beat Deportivo tomorrow.

Higs - Yeh I wan't Manu To win only so that It gives everybody else a ray of hope. But the Arse are in another league at the moment.

Nessie- (A couple of midfielders and a striker wouldn't go amiss either.)

I heard Archie Gemmil was being talked out of retirement.LOL
18/10/2004 at 12:18
Coisty played pretty well against the Celebs ;O)
18/10/2004 at 12:20
As long as you don't get Scot Gemmill back in the team. Makes Paul McStay look adventurous.
18/10/2004 at 12:28
PP

"Stylish I would much rather be out plodding, but my legs are killing me!! I did the womburn 10k yesterday (nobody mentioned the first 6k being all s*dding up hill!!!)"

I know how you feel, mine are killing me too. Just remember a hard run is followed by an easy one. Next time you do a 10K it will be a PB, the benefit of those 6K's uphill.
18/10/2004 at 13:24
higs,plod,
i'll be at old trafford too and agree about the arse.they will dominate fora while but sport goes in cycles and ours will come round again.however the performances against b'mingham and middlesboro were hardly inspiring!
18/10/2004 at 14:02
To The Amazing Mr Plod - You're in the minority of Man Utd fans who have been going to Old Trafford since before football was invented in 1992 then ;) [don't worry, I'm not going to blame you for being a Man U supporter... my manager fills that position!]. same goes for you too travis ;)

In the immortal words of some bloke off't telly, I hope you get stuffed by the Arsenal. It's only a game, though :)

Stylish - I'm not confident, but I'll certainly feel better about the Depor game if we put our 2nd half team out! As far as I can tell we're at least 3 months from the point where Rafa should have his team out (rather than the current makeshift houllier-benitez product!). Still reckon we'll be in a race for third by Christmas though - with Man Utd. Can't wait to see what this Nunez lad does for the team, though.
1 to 20 of 15,263 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.