Little survey: trail shoes

41 to 60 of 76 messages
13/03/2013 at 08:31

whoever said about SNOW being the best cleaner (Seren I think) - absolutely - my shoes were spotless on Monday after a run in the powdery stuff , not a single speck of mud on them at all

13/03/2013 at 17:25

If there's water near the end of my run I'll take a detour through that to get the worst off, otherwise just leave 'em outside caked in muck and hope it rains. Once (if) dry I may bang them together a few times.

14/03/2013 at 13:06

If mudded up, I'll run them under the tap.  Otherwise it's a bang and drop.

16/03/2013 at 20:00

There's a very handy little thing called the Mudsweeper. Small round thing with a very coarse brush and some knobbly bits for getting into the tread. Designed for this purpose. Cotswolds sell them. I use that and the good old tap.

Occasionally real stinky shoes go in the washing machine.

17/03/2013 at 22:02
I've never washed trail shoes. There's the theory dirt and grit gets into the fabric and shoe causing damage. Truth is all my shoes fail due to mid sole collapse or the outsole wears down. Dirt has never had time to damage them so why waste time cleaning?

Radiators and fires are supposed to be bad for footwear. Something to do with the modern glues used in production being affected by heat. Something similar with washing machines too I believe. Never cleaned shoes so never tested these issues personally.
22/03/2013 at 20:16

River or puddle towards the end of a run; then a gentle scrub in a bucket of warm water; into the washing machine every other wear; stuffed with newspaper to dry.

Come up like new.

I usually have to do her indoors' and sometimes the daughter's too!

22/03/2013 at 20:22
I put them in an old supermarket bag and hang them off a radiator. They steam for a day or so then when dry I keep them in the bag and hang them on a coat hook, all dry mud still intact, ready for the next run! Why clean them? Im never going to wear them for work!
24/03/2013 at 16:42

I never clean mine unless they get so filty that the mud is inside the shoes and they are uncomfortable to put on the next time.  Then I run them under the tap and rub the worst of it off.

But usually I just run through a puddle towards the end of my run, or stamp my feet hard when I next put them back on and the mud had dried

24/03/2013 at 21:59

I never clean mine, what's the point? I run on the trail only and they would get muddy again. When they dry I bang one against the other to remove mud from the sole (I run in Inov8 Bare Grip spikes) and use a brush like for scrubbing floors to remove more mud if necessary.

25/03/2013 at 12:29

I wouldn't bother washing off light external mud, but I hate the feel of dried mud or grit inside my shoes and I regularly run through ankle and even shin deep muck which soaks through the mesh and gets right inside them. I'd NEVER put shoes through the machine or even use soap to clean them, I just rinse them out thoroughly with warmish water and scrub off the insoles with a nailbrush then blot off as much moisture as I can with an old towel and sit them near a gentle heat to dry out.

28/03/2013 at 21:52

we have a river next to the house which i use to cool off and wash off in. the snow here is also used for the same at the mo!

31/03/2013 at 16:25

Kerry RW, any danger of getting the PM, quote facility and mail writing back to how they were about a month ago?

Various people have asked countless times now!

red
05/04/2013 at 18:10

Get a plastic box from a diy store with a tight lid fill it with water and washing powder then put it in the car boot after your race pop the muddy trail shoes in, by the time you return home the wave effect will clean your trainers easy peasy

09/04/2013 at 11:12

If they are just superfically muddy I leave them in the garage stuffed with paper.  If they are soaked through with mud I put the hose in to get the worst off, stuff then with paper and leave them in the garage!

09/04/2013 at 12:15

I have cross country shoes put them in a bag and the minute i get home i take them out put them in the sink and get my nail brush out and put them under warm running water and start getting initial mud off and then take my scrubbing brush to them

they are white, why do they make cross country shoes white!! well they are dirty white now, cant all trail shoes and cross country shoes be black!!!

11/04/2013 at 19:18

I have the Inov 8 f lite 195´s so I normally rinse my shoes in the river or with the hose and let them air dry.

16/04/2013 at 16:30

I don't clean mine, they might get vaguely dry standing in the kitchen before I wear them the next day, but really, life's too short. I barely get enough time to run, never mind polish my shoes. Having said that, I've come to the conclusion that the dirt around here is pretty corrosive. Pair of (lightweight) shoes came to the end of their life last night. New in December, maybe 300 miles tops. 

Edited: 16/04/2013 at 16:31
20/04/2013 at 14:07

If exceptionally muddy I'll leave to dry and then bang off the dry mud before the next run. If the insides are getting a bit on the grubby side I'll put them in the washing machine (VFF and Trail Gloves) but this is only once or maybe twice a year maximum.

22/04/2013 at 18:39

Putting them in the washing machine, then tumble dryer not trendy anymore 

Wouldn't do it myself anymore - I'm sure glues have changed (better or worse?). Also we tend to use lower temperatures in our modern washing machines.

22/04/2013 at 18:46

leave them to dry and then run in them on a dry surface a bit to get some mud off. If they get really dirty just give them a scrub with a brush but muddy shoes are a good sign! 

41 to 60 of 76 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.