Little survey: trail shoes

61 to 76 of 76 messages
22/04/2013 at 20:46

My trail shoes generally get hosed down whilst still on my feet if they are bad (at the same time as hosing the dogs down!) then I just stick them infront of the AGA and they'll be dry by the next day.  I did buy black ones though so don't worry about it much - actually find my road shoes worse as they are white and the muck of the roads is horrible.  Tend not to bother cleaning them at all, just stick them infront of the aga to dry and then put them on again

23/04/2013 at 12:27

If they get muddy I tend to ask my butler two questions:

a) why hadn't the gardener removed the mud from the estate?

b) is the mud 100% organic?

I've refused to allow the staff to clean running shoes - far better to box them up, send them to those delightful little African children and simply order a new pair using the new fangled world wide web thingy.

Super. What!

OK, gin time.

24/04/2013 at 09:36

I`m not keen on cleaning them and the washing machine is a no-no! This year my solution has been to go for a run in the snow. It works great!

26/04/2013 at 14:20

I just let them dry out and then bang them together to get the worst off. There doesn't seem any point cleaning them because they'll be dirty again tomorrow!

Edited: 26/04/2013 at 14:20
27/04/2013 at 14:58

After a very muddy & wet winter spent training for the Grizzly in Devon (living in a flat with no outdoor tap), I discovered the most effective way to clean my trail shoes, is actually in the shower with me. No extra water wasted, and although I'm not entirley sure that it's good for the drain, I figured that so much mud comes off me, that a bit more from my trainers wouldn't hurt!

28/04/2013 at 08:34

I bang the excess dirt off first, then I pop a few 'Granny's Soap Flakes' in a sink of warm water. Dunk the shoes in for about ten minutes, re-fill the sink with cool water (x3) and then hang by laces on washing line untill dead, I mean dry. It's the detergent in washing powders and liquids that can destroy shoes over time. Soap flakes work much better, and they actually preserve fabrics like Goretex and eVent. This also works for walking/hiking gear and boots.

29/04/2013 at 13:44

After wet / muddy runs I remove insoles, stuff shoes with newspaper and hang to dry in boiler room. Next day I bash them to loosen dried mud, replace insoles and they're good to go again. 

Only my barefoot shoes go in the washing machine as no insole or cushioning to ruin. And only when they can virtually walk there themselves 

05/05/2013 at 12:05

I don't get it, so long as the mud isn't on the inside I see no problem 

17/05/2013 at 18:31

If it's been a proper mud/swampy run - hose down along with muddy kit then stuff with newspaper and leave on windowsill.  If it's just a splattering - leave to dry and bang them together before the next outing

27/05/2013 at 15:05

Given some of the discussions I've seen about mud eating through uppers of lightweight trail shoes... I wash mine under the cold tap outside, with the help of an old toothbrush, let them drain for a few minutes then stuff them with newspaper to help them dry out - replace the newspaper when it gets soggy.

30/05/2013 at 23:09

What is this cleaning you speak of?

05/06/2013 at 21:06

Sit in a stream. If it's really cold, stand in a stream.

08/06/2013 at 17:41

road salt and oil..is far more harmful to your shoes than mud...

I do find the use of bright colours in trainers a waste of time..as they only look good until you run in the mud...after all mud and muck..is trail running to me..running on hard dry ground is akin to road running....

21/06/2013 at 14:39

I pick up mud encrusted trainers, shake them to get any loose stuff out from the inside, put on, go for run, get home, leave to dry.

Did I forget to mention get shouted at by Mrs C at various points in the process?

24/06/2013 at 18:23

I agree with Debra Bourne except I do it in th sink!

03/07/2013 at 08:48

I usually find a freezing cold stream does it.....but then some silly bugger takes us through miles of mud and back to caked in mud again.

I dread to think what my group runs through in the winter so clean off every time and slow dry.

This time of year its just dust and little mud no cleaning :-] 

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
61 to 76 of 76 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.