Liverpool or Chester or somewhere else entirely

First marathon advice needed

1 to 20 of 29 messages
26/11/2012 at 18:34
Hi all. I've just decided to think what the hell, and enter my first marathon in 2013. Has anyone done either Chester or Liverpool? I'd like a scenic route if poss. Either that or does anyone have any other alternatives? I live in North Devon, so nowhere's too far
26/11/2012 at 18:41

First vote here for Chester ... it is simply sublime !!

Organisationally perfect ... nice course .. with mix of running through historically pretty City centre ... then out into another country (over the border in to Wales) for a bit of scenery and country running, before a great finish in the Racecourse.

26/11/2012 at 18:51

Done them both and they're both top races. Chester very well organised and scenic route through countryside. Liverpool is all city and has great support.

26/11/2012 at 19:35
Thanks. I want to do a good one for my first one, to make me want to do another!!
26/11/2012 at 19:44

i did Chester this year thought it was fantastic  one of my favorite marathons

LIVERBIRD    pirate
26/11/2012 at 20:22

Well I'm not going to say Chester with a name like mine am I?

Liverpool is full of naked ladies throwing themselves at you and you get free beer for life.....

Plus, you don't have to run in Wales if you do Liverpool

26/11/2012 at 20:30
Not done Chester but can highly recommend Liverpool! Although I'm now gutted I missed all the naked ladies
26/11/2012 at 20:42
But if you run Chester you can guarantee still having hub caps on your car
26/11/2012 at 21:35

This is becoming a regular topic now, I love the run Liverpool races because of the people who do them, and it is a fantastic City to visit these days, but the organisers at Chester just completely get what runners want and why they run marathons. The attention to detail is fantastic, the marshals are local runners and community groups, and the biggest plus, the City wants the race and fully supports it.

Logistically, Chester starts and finishes on the racecourse, and it's a very compact city so you can stay in town and stroll down to the start and then relax afterwards, Liverpool is point to point starting in Birkenhead, but you do have the thrill of running through the tunnel.

LIVERBIRD    pirate
26/11/2012 at 21:36

Ha bloody ha! Says you in Runcorn....

26/11/2012 at 21:37
Liverbird, I thought you'd be from Chester! My other option is Edinburgh, if I can save up enough....
LIVERBIRD    pirate
26/11/2012 at 21:44

I'd do Liverpool or Chester ANY day of the week over Edinburgh. Edinburgh certainly has the easiest course of the three with a point to point downhill, but it's had very mixed reviews over the years and a lot of organisational issues that mean I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole. Others haven't found it so bad though.....

LIVERBIRD    pirate
26/11/2012 at 21:48

Why not have a flick through the review section on here and have a look for yourself? Might help you decide!

26/11/2012 at 22:08
I did Liverpool this year and I'd totally recommend it. Maybe not as scenic as Chester but the tunnel's a great experience and there's a beach. Plus, obviously, all the naked ladies.
27/11/2012 at 02:37
Dave The Ex- Spartan wrote (see)
But if you run Chester you can guarantee still having hub caps on your car

That's playing on stereotypes isn't it?

But after Liverbird's quip about avoiding Wales... she blooming well deserves it

27/11/2012 at 07:57

In short they're both very good and will be an excellent choice for first marathon. If you want to run through a big city go with Liverpool, if you want countryside go with Chester.

If you have kids Chester is a good choice as they have a kids race and also activities to keep them happy whilst you're racing.

Coming out of the tunnel in Liverpool was probably the best racing experience I've had yet.

27/11/2012 at 08:11
I have kids and my son's a Liverpool fanatic like me. The missus would probably prefer the shopping in Chester
cougie    pirate
27/11/2012 at 12:29

Aah but theres the massive Liverpool one shopping centre - and the posh one - the Metquarter. 

I liked the Edinburgh race - was pretty smooth for me - but Liverpool was better.  I know I had to wait 10 mins for my kit at the end in Edinburgh, and in Liverpool it wasnt even 10 seconds. Very efficient army cadets. 

27/11/2012 at 13:04
Chester for me. PB last year and this year. Best organized marathon there is. Parking great,facilities great, as well as the support,the finish,the chance to run in two countries in one day,super medal running top. Race is organized by two guys who leave nothing to chance,even shake your hand at the finish. Superb historic town for the family to enjoy.Liverpool is probably great but chester will eventually be the best marathon in the country if it is not already.( chester half is also superb as well)
27/11/2012 at 13:25

Chester.

1 to 20 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.