Living with a narcissist

How to cope?

41 to 42 of 42 messages
10/02/2013 at 19:12
Sectioning someone because they might be a danger to their children is pretty extreme. It might work as a temporary crisis measure, but it would more usually be dealt with by the family courts giving residence to the other parent (or put the child in care if there is no other suitable relative) and giving the parent with the personality disorder supervised access only. But it would have to be really bad to get to that stage and very few narcissists ever even get a diagnosis - they are able to give a good impression to doctors etc.
However as children get older the courts give them more say in their living arrangements and kids figure this stuff out in the end.
10/02/2013 at 19:30
A visit to the gp will be done. One thing that scared me in the past about going down the divorce route was how cool, cold and rational my wife can sound to people who don't know what is going on. One of my friends asked her why she was treating me so badly and at the end of the conversation she was shocked at how cold etc she was. I feel stronger now and will do what I can for my kids as it has gone on for too long.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 42 of 42 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.