Local councils - help with a project

list 1 good thing and 1 bad thing about your local authority

21 to 34 of 34 messages
22/05/2003 at 21:48
Environmental Health is brill. Excellent helpful officers, always willing to give advice or lend a hand.
WildWill    pirate
22/05/2003 at 22:01
They're building a new swimming pool

The project has slipped a year
23/05/2003 at 00:14
Smitch, are you an EHO?
23/05/2003 at 06:56
er, yes Pizza man. How could you tell??!
23/05/2003 at 08:49
Bad Thing : Council tax went up by 18% this year

Good Thing : I got a personal, polite, sympathetic response very quickly from the Chief Treasurer when I sent off an email rant about the increase. And the bin men will take absolutley anything you leave out and will even empty your bin cupboard for you if you forget to put your bags out.
23/05/2003 at 09:02
Kingston-upon-Thames

Good thing: erm, rubbish collection is OK, and recycling is (slowly) catching on.

Bad thing: what made them think that, given a large piece of land near the town centre, the thing we would most benefit from was yet another bloody Sainsburys?

23/05/2003 at 09:33
Good things - well-maintained flower beds, grass verges kept trimmed, good refuse collection.

Bad things - Massive Council Tax increase (with no evidence of any additional/improved services for the extra money!) Recycling facilities are not emptied often enough, which means people just leave their recycling in plastic bags on the pavement = mess (especially if it's wet and windy). Awful road surfaces.

(Enfield BTW)
23/05/2003 at 10:26
Toomuch, I am a Kingstonian too!

Rubbish collection is good, council tax is a bit cheeky, compared to Wandsworth.

That bloody Sainsbury's is my local, and the Esporta gym upstairs has a decent size pool.
23/05/2003 at 10:52
Coventry City Council:
Good Thing: Last year they put up locked fences in the alleyways that run through the backs of our houses to stop kids and thieves from walking through them.
Bad Thing: They have never got around to giving keys to the residents to unlock the gates...
23/05/2003 at 12:18
Oxford city council:

good - nothing particular springs to mind, which means there must be loads of good things.

bad - wasting money on perpetual road works on a pedestrianised road (Cornmarket Street) because the previous repairs cracked on the first day people were allowed to walk on them again. Also, we have some of the worst sink estates around. And don't get me started on the junkies and theft - but still, don't know whether this is within the council's juristiction.
23/05/2003 at 12:47
Good Thing , they upgraded a path to be a nice cycle / path

bad thing ,local pool has been closed for 6 months , and counting
23/05/2003 at 13:01
Good thing: They pay my wages

Bad thing:The're not enough, but then I "sit around from 9 til 5 and when I leave at 5 I don't care about what I've done at work or how my actions or decisions have affected real people's lives"
23/05/2003 at 13:58
Northamptonshire
"Good" Thing: Spent a rumoured million pounds on a bridlepath crossing the A43 near Towcester.
Bad Thing: haven't seen a horse or human use it in the two months it has been completed.
23/05/2003 at 14:37
ooooooh I'd kill for a bridle path ! , we have a canal path / public footpath but the owner of a cottage which straddles the path has an issue about rights or way

Flipping townies !

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 34 of 34 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.