London marathon - club places

9 messages
24/09/2012 at 11:39

Hi all - firstly apologies if this topic has been raised recently.

I've been checking for our club on a weekly basis now for three or four months on the Virgin site and the message has gone from 'Check back at the end of May' to 'May' then 'June' etc etc and now it states:

For the 2013 event the entry system for clubs will be going online.

We are in the process of developing this system, so please do keep checking the website for further details.

Has anyone else got anymore info so I can ward off our eager club members?

Regards

UFO
24/09/2012 at 14:15

Club secretaries were emailed with an update last week. Online applications start 15/10.

UFO
24/09/2012 at 20:20

Thank you!!

19/08/2013 at 14:50

Thought I'd drag up an old thread rather than start a new one on this...

According to VLM website, club entries open at the end of August. Any idea what's involved in this. I'm part of a new running club who have been affliated less than a year so I'm wondering if we qualify. Do you have to have a certain amount of members to qualify for even 1 place. We have about 30 members so I'm guessing we either don't qualify at all or we have 1 place at best. Really hoping we get one as there's only me and a couple of others that applied in the ballot so could be looking at a 1 in 3 chance or better if I don't get in through ballot... again.

Also, would be interested to know if your part of a running club, what criterea they normally use to allocate places. After a quick google search I seen one club who had a massive list but am I right in thinking most just go for 'you have to have entered ballot and not been succesful to be considered for club place' and then it's just names out of hat.

19/08/2013 at 21:04

we scrapped the need to have entered the ballot as many of our members found when they tried to enter the ballot it was already full/ closed. Now we specify they must have been an active member for at least 6 months (although we do have healthy debate about what is 'active') and then names in a hat. 

19/08/2013 at 22:01

my club states you have to have entered and been unsuccessful in the ballot and be a fully paid up member, then it is a straight ballot.

19/08/2013 at 22:06

My club does the same as DT19's but I think you have to have been a member for 6months.

19/08/2013 at 22:29

My club does the same but you can't enter the club ballot if you got a place through the club the previous year. 

20/08/2013 at 12:42

Thanks for the replies. I think entering the ballot and being fully paid up for at least 6 months should be an absolute minimum. Also agree with not being eligible for club ballot if you got a place through it the previous year. Will have to put it on the agenda for our next club meeting so we have something in writing and everyone's aware what they need to do in order to be in the running next year. As for this year, hopefully they'll be sensible and still go with the minimum requirements I mentioned - admittedly saying this selfishly as it gives me a really good chance!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.