London Marathon Ballot system is a joke.

201 to 213 of 213 messages
12/11/2012 at 13:38

Foe a couple of years when Flora sponsored it they handed out cheese and tomato sandwiches - went down suprisingly well.

12/11/2012 at 15:14

Yes, they were the first thing I looked for this year as I needed a bit of a boost.  Much missed.  The two cans of deodorant and razor weren't in the same league

WiB
12/11/2012 at 15:48
Bear B.Hind wrote (see)

Foe a couple of years when Flora sponsored it they handed out cheese and tomato sandwiches - went down suprisingly well.

Now Virgin are sponsoring it I wonder what they could hand out?!

WiB
Dave The Ex- Spartan    pirate
12/11/2012 at 17:00
Condoms ?
17/04/2013 at 17:50

Depressing that RodthePlod thinks that real runners can't be people who raise money for charity or get dressed up in fancy dress.  Are they doing any less distance?  Does it mean less to them that it does to you?  I think not.

I've done London before and will be doing it again on Sunday and as with all the big races if you want a guaranteed place then simply go for a charity spot.  Don't whinge just because you can't be bothered raising the cash when others can.  The VLM is brilliant (better than NYC and Loch Ness which are also brilliant) so don't go panning it just cos it's hard to get into.

17/04/2013 at 17:55
May try for next year..tried in 2010..
17/04/2013 at 18:03

@John McArther 4. Well said and good luck for Sunday. I am one of the volunteer helping out, will be located near Embankment. As I did not get a place, I thought why not help out instead. 

17/04/2013 at 18:13

Cheers!   I think London will be epic and the tragic events of Boston will galvanise the runners, volunteers and crowds to be noisier, louder and more brash than ever.  

Yes - the VLM has indeed become a commercial affair but raising millions for charities is no bad thing and for those lucky enough to get in it's still one of the greatest shows on the planet.

17/04/2013 at 23:05
...real runners know it's nigh on impossible to get a place.

....non-runners assume you must be doing it.

Lost count of how many people have asked if I'm running on Sunday (I'm not)

The answer that I'm doing Manchester (also a marathon) the following week seems to raise a shrug.

London is amazing though...!
22/04/2013 at 19:36

I enjoyed watching you guys running on Sunday, I was helping out at the 25 miles point. Not ran the London Marathon since 2010 I will try my luck for the 2014 ballot place. 

For some of you marathon addicts, you may want to try the North Kent road runners marathon which takes place on Saturday 1st Jun, you should have recovered by then and  If you are chasing for Good For Age time place for the London Marathon 2014 this will be your last chance before the July deadline. 

04/05/2013 at 20:00

Hi. I was lucky enough to get a ballot place on my first attempt in 2012. Had to defer as I got injured during my training. Picked up another injury and a chest infection just before 2013, and was debating dropping out until the terrible events in Boston.

I thought that my niggles and lack of quality training were nothing compared to what those runners went through in Boston.

Best decision I ever made!!

I had the most fantastic day, ended up doing 5.28.26 due to my injury, but you know what, that doesn't matter!

Still limping but also still on a 'high'.

I said I would only do it once, but guess what, I've entered the 2014 ballot!!

Good luck everyone!

cougie    pirate
04/05/2013 at 20:40
Running RaRa - all clubs get places in the marathon.
Elite runners get in. Any half decent runner can get in on a good for age.
They're all real runners.
LIVERBIRD    pirate
06/05/2013 at 10:18

I'm an indecent runner then Cougs..... But you knew that already!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
201 to 213 of 213 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.