London Marathon Ballot system is a joke.

81 to 100 of 203 messages
02/10/2012 at 14:40
TimR wrote (see)
No it's not the whole purpose of a business. But the accountants would have you think that!

What is it for, if not to make a profit?

seren nos yn canu    pirate
02/10/2012 at 14:43

The London marathon uses its profits for london based charities..........

If they just give running clubs more places then you would get loads of people joining runnuingclubs at £15 a time.never running with them or giving anything to the club just to get their hands on a marathon ticket

surely its great to give more places to non runners to get them into running and to start getting healthy and fit.........if you are already running then you already got the message

02/10/2012 at 14:43
exiled claret wrote (see)

I'm also sure that there is scope for more places to be made available for those with slightly faster times. There is a huge bulge of runners going through at 4:00-4:30 pace. If the roads can cope with them then, there is surely an opportunity to offer a few more places with those expecting to run around 3:30.

Let me take a wild guess what kind of time you run?

Around 3:30 maybe?

02/10/2012 at 15:03
"The London Marathon Charitable Trust - The London Marathon Ltd.

The London Marathon Ltd is wholly owned by the London Marathon Charitable Trust and is responsible for organising the Virgin London Marathon, adidas Half Marathon, Bupa London 10000 and the Standard Chartered Great City Race. Its income comes from sponsorship, marketing, advertising, entry fees, TV etc. and after costs 100% of its surplus is handed to The London Marathon Charitable Trust which then awards grants to recreational projects mainly in London. The amount of the surplus handed over to the Charitable Trust in 2009/2010 was £4.6m which is more than any other Marathon makes anywhere in the world. We are proud of the fact that 100% of this surplus goes to charity."

More of those greedy bastard charities, I'm afraid to say!  It's just outrageous!

02/10/2012 at 15:13
Wilkie wrote (see)
"The London Marathon Charitable Trust - The London Marathon Ltd.

The London Marathon Ltd is wholly owned by the London Marathon Charitable Trust and is responsible for organising the Virgin London Marathon, adidas Half Marathon, Bupa London 10000 and the Standard Chartered Great City Race. Its income comes from sponsorship, marketing, advertising, entry fees, TV etc. and after costs 100% of its surplus is handed to The London Marathon Charitable Trust which then awards grants to recreational projects mainly in London. The amount of the surplus handed over to the Charitable Trust in 2009/2010 was £4.6m which is more than any other Marathon makes anywhere in the world. We are proud of the fact that 100% of this surplus goes to charity."

More of those greedy bastard charities, I'm afraid to say!  It's just outrageous!

How dare they make any money.  Capitalists.

02/10/2012 at 15:25

I can perhaps see why people insist on running the LM and aren't really interested in any others. I've been involved in a conversation before when a couple of people were reeling of friends and family members who had run ''London'' and their various finishing times. I mentioned I'd gone under 2:50 at Abingdon and I may have well said I'd run the local Park Run! ''London'' is the only marathon.

02/10/2012 at 15:44

Abingdon?  You've made that up.  Where the hell's Abingdon?  And 2:50?  Only the elites run under three hours.  Must've been short.  Still, all for a good cause.  Who were you running for?

02/10/2012 at 15:50

I'm pretty sure Mr. Boat's Garmin said Abingdon was 26.29 miles, actually, Phil, which means the course was definitely long.

mcs
02/10/2012 at 15:54

Told someone I had run Edinburgh Mara this year, could have told them I had been shopping to Morrisons............."where is that is it a big race?"

IronCat5    pirate
02/10/2012 at 15:59
Shaun Reid wrote (see)

If you are with a running club which is UKA affiliated but the individual isn't can you still get a place in the VLM through the club or does the runner have to be affiliated?

Thanks, Shaun

Wilkie wrote (see)
Shaun Reid wrote (see)

If you are with a running club which is UKA affiliated but the individual isn't can you still get a place in the VLM through the club...

Yes, you don't have to be affiliated personally.

Ah...but the number of places a club has is related to the number of UKA members at that club. So at a club where UKA membership is optional, how would you feel about a non-UK member getting the club place?

02/10/2012 at 16:02
The real joke is the way everyone gets wound up about it
02/10/2012 at 16:03
IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)
Ah...but the number of places a club has is related to the number of UKA members at that club. So at a club where UKA membership is optional, how would you feel about a non-UK member getting the club place?

Are you sure?  Last week I received an e-mail from London Marathon (to club secretaries) explaining the new online club entry system, and the only information they're after regarding numbers is the "number of registered first claim club runners over the age of 18".

IronCat5    pirate
02/10/2012 at 16:21
PhilPub wrote (see)
IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)

Are you sure?  Last week I received an e-mail from London Marathon (to club secretaries) explaining the new online club entry system, and the only information they're after regarding numbers is the "number of registered first claim club runners over the age of 18".

Registered as a first claim to whom?

02/10/2012 at 16:29
I think GFA should be FGFA ( Fuc#ing good for age) as these GFA times are trully unobtainable for some of us!!!
02/10/2012 at 16:38
RUN-D-M-BRIE wrote (see)
I think GFA should be FGFA ( Fuc#ing good for age) as these GFA times are trully unobtainable for some of us!!!

if they weren't everyone would have guaranteed entry and they'd have problem with the numbers.

02/10/2012 at 16:43

PP: Can't remember who I was running for but the Gorilla suit made it tough.

02/10/2012 at 16:58

Fraid I have to agree with those who say, don't like the system, don't do the race! But if you really want to run it you can, won't tell you how but I think I'm up to 18 Londons now and at least 5 were legit incl a couple of GFA, the rest........ But that's it, by now I hate the bloody race, there are so many fantastic runs out there, for RUNNERS, why bother with all the crap that goes with the London? And if people look blankly at when you say you did the Halstead, so what!

02/10/2012 at 17:37

You cant have a qualifying time for everyone because that discounts first time runners.

Would it work to stop the big charities having a monopoly on the entrants by doing away with the golden bond and raising the entrance fee for everyone. That way they still make money that can go to the LMCT, New York is over $250 for US citizens and is still over subscribed. It would also give a wider range of charities that are missing out a fairer chance.

02/10/2012 at 17:45
Don't you mean first timers at London ? Ther are other marathons you know
LIVERBIRD    pirate
02/10/2012 at 17:46

There ARE????

81 to 100 of 203 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.