Long run = crap food fixation

17 messages
25/09/2002 at 11:19
After a long run, say anything over 1hr 30, I have cravings for bad food. It seems that a proper meal is not enough. A good healthy bowl of pasta doesn't do the trick, but junk food really does. Does anyone else suffer from this?
25/09/2002 at 11:24
Depends what you mean by crap :-). Water, banana, wine in my case - lacking in both calories and nutrients. Can't face anything else, although I can skip the wine someimes. I couldn't eat anything greasy after a long run.
25/09/2002 at 11:29
Back when I was running marathons (well, 1 marathon anyway!) and 1/2s (more than 2 decades ago I have to confess), I used to get cravings for really sweet drinks - in particular, sweet cider.
25/09/2002 at 11:30
Nothing beats Mr Kipling Lemon Slices in my book. Unless maybe half a packet of McVitie's Plain Chocolate Caramels.

My excuse is that my body knows best, and obviously craves the food it needs. After all, lemon is fruit. Chocolate is apparently a good source of iron.

Don't worry about it - as long as your basic diet is healthy, a bit of junk after a long run won't do much harm. You've earned it after all.
25/09/2002 at 11:33
I bought a greasy burger immediately after a Half Marathon on Sunday and it felt soooo good.

I say trust your instincts and eat what your body craves (on the basis that what it craves is what it needs..with the exception of beer and tabs).
25/09/2002 at 12:08
I crave savoury food about an hour after long runs and then it's back to the good old Costco choccy muffins.
25/09/2002 at 12:36
i don't normally feel hungry at all after a long run, just really thirsty. but i do after a hard swimming session - wierd eh!
25/09/2002 at 12:54
I fancied a quarter pounder with cheese from McD's after the GSR, but I didn't have one as I don't eat meat anymore, but I thought about it for hours.
25/09/2002 at 13:00
I don't normally feel like eating anything after a long run (although I always do because I know it's good for me) but that's the only time I'm not totally ravenous.

I tend to eat the sort of stuff that wouldn't normally be regarded as "healthy" for post-run carb-ups - sponge and custard, chocolate digestives, the half-cold chips that the kids have left on their plates, that sort of thing.
25/09/2002 at 13:14
I find i crave Macdonalds in the last few miles of a race, even though i rarely eat meat. However, on finishing a race i have a mars bar, a bag of crisps (got to be Seabrooks Prawn Cocktail flavour), then the craving goes away.

25/09/2002 at 14:39
Well this is all very encouraging! After last weeks 3.5 hour adventure race, the whole team went to McD for a binge. The best meal I ever ate.
25/09/2002 at 15:13
Bagels and Marmite. Aahhh....

25/09/2002 at 21:28
I do! I mainly want to eat salt and fat: crisps, McDonalds, french rolls with thick butter, more crisps etc. Also, I've recently developed a craving for (blush) caramel/shortbread/choccy cakey things - shortbread bottom, soft caramel in middle, thick choccy on top - from Tescos. I find myself thinking about them as I'm running.
Aagghh.... ! :-)
25/09/2002 at 21:48
That explains your nickname then eh...Wee Piglet.
I also crave unhealthier foods after a long run. Pizzas, Chip shop fish and chips..mmmm. Although with me I think its just an excuse because I know I've just burned a shed load of calories and I might aswell make the most of it.......you know....healthy day tomorrow.
26/09/2002 at 06:54
the only thing i find stops this is to eat copious amounts the day before....if i decide to do a long run on spur of the moment, and i don't get a chance to stuff myself silly the day before, i can't stop eating afterwards....it comes on about an hour after i finish, and ends when i go to bed....
26/09/2002 at 07:45
Fluffa -- I had that same problem after my last half. I ate something nearly every hour in the afternoon until we went for a curry for supper. Chicken tikka masala, rice and naan finally quashed the hunger. Also, had a headache the rest of the day and wondered if that might be related? I drank loads of water after so don't think it was dehydration.

Don't usually crave food on the run unless passing a place where they are cooking and the smell is wafting into the open air.
26/09/2002 at 08:30
oh yes....when i was a student i used to run really late at night somtimes ...like 2 am.....i loved the smell of vinegar and brown paper from the kebab vans....very atmospheric!

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
17 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.