Long time subscribers

We want to hear from you...

21 to 40 of 49 messages
LIVERBIRD    pirate
05/07/2013 at 09:10

If you're still finding it useful, then I would urge you to carry on. It's not a BAD magazine. It just suits a time in your life that fits the bill when you're fairly new to running. 

I don't buy Practical Parenting anymore or Brides for the same reason. My children are weaned and potty trained now they're in their teens and I don't need to know the latest trends in wedding frocks.

Actually....I've just had a GREAT idea! 

A magazine for raising grumpy, zitty, hormonal little gits who think they're adults! 

05/07/2013 at 12:37

Yes I subscribed for many years  but stopped a few years  back getting too costly and having to make cutbacks  is  too repetitive  nothing  for the non beginners and too much marathon focussed  Jan -April/May every year

LIVERBIRD    pirate
05/07/2013 at 12:40

That's because THE marathon is in April Pammie

05/07/2013 at 12:57

I subscribed about fifteen years ago, cancelled the sub about thirteen years ago.

The last issue that I saw was several years ago, and what I noticed was that it was full of large pictures and not much text.

LIVERBIRD    pirate
05/07/2013 at 13:00

Perfect for most of the kids round here then Wilkie?

05/07/2013 at 13:07

Full of weight loss articles, daft things like 'lose weight with curry', 'recovery faster' with cake, more weight loss articles, the insanely irritating and pointless Tonky Talk, too many lightweight bite sized pieces with stupid graphics etc. I think it was lose weight with curry that made me cancel my subs. To be fair, I don't even scan through it in Tesco now because I know I won't buy it.

Some proper articles about, oh I don't know, say a long term goal of dipping under 3 for a marathon, the local XC or road relay race scene, something about racing and running rather than running to lose weight. I don't know if it's still in, but there used to be a half page piece where a coach looked at somebody's typical week, pb's and then suggested changes to their routine, I enjoyed that. It was useful.

05/07/2013 at 13:22
GraemeK wrote (see)

'lose weight with curry'

*subscribe*

05/07/2013 at 13:41

Tonky Talk. Irritating and pointless is a perfect summary GraemeK

05/07/2013 at 15:49

Can only echo the previous sentiments.
As a relatively recent reader (last 3 years or so) I noticed the quality dropped off significantly after the 'redesign'.

What happened to the race reports? Running off road is not a new invention. Core exercise sections seem to have disappeared as well. 

I now buythe trail running magazine.

05/07/2013 at 16:06

I bet poor Annie wishes she hadn't asked! 

05/07/2013 at 16:21

I was wondering that too!  

05/07/2013 at 19:17

I wonder if this thread will make the next issue like her boring shorts thread did.

05/07/2013 at 19:30

Another who brought as a new runner, but cancelled the sub when I could start predicting what was going to be in it......Articles getting fluffy, dumbing down.

Pretty much everything already said above.

05/07/2013 at 20:54
GraemeK wrote (see)

Full of weight loss articles, daft things like 'lose weight with curry', 'recovery faster' with cake, more weight loss articles, the insanely irritating and pointless Tonky Talk, too many lightweight bite sized pieces with stupid graphics etc. I think it was lose weight with curry that made me cancel my subs. To be fair, I don't even scan through it in Tesco now because I know I won't buy it.

I don't like the Paul Tonkinson articles either... why would you pay to read Paul Tonkinson when you can listen to Tony Audenshaw on marathon talk for free?

06/07/2013 at 05:50

I've been subscribing for quite a number of years, and will continue, as I find that whilst some of the articles within the magazine are repetitive, re-reading them reinforces some of the stuff I know I should be doing but through laziness / forgetfulness I'm not.

The Warm Ups section always seems to have something in there that I should be adhering to, and taking the example of the August issue the articles 'Beyond the mantra' on positive thinking, 'Outrun Time' on running in older age, the carbohydrate argument and elite advice were all good thought provoking reads.

However, to counterbalance my positive feedback, here's the constructive:

1. Please do your research better. For example in the heroes of running section you stated that Adam Gemili played for 'Non League Dagenham and Redbridge' in January 2012 - that season the Daggers were in League Two. It's little bits of lazy journalism like this that annoy me!

2. As others have said, some more real-life stories / experiences would be interesting. The US version of your magazine (Which you seem to copy - more on that in 3!) gets it right - they have a big story once a month that covers about 8-9 pages and is always an interesting read.

3. From coming back from America and buying their version of Runner's World, I've noticed that quite a few articles from the US turn up in the UK version a month or two later - whilst I don't mind this, occasionally they're written for the American reader in mind - this doesn't bother me, but may bother others.

In summary, a great read, but please listen to some of the feedback from people on here, or you may lose more subscribers. Right, off for my long run...

06/07/2013 at 22:02

Very similar to SL2 above but what really gets my goat isn't just the rehashing of US articles, it's claiming someone in the UK 'wrote' it. Changing a few names isn't journalism, it's plagiarism.

if you want an example of what RW can & should be, get a copy of the July issue in the US which was published as a Boston special edition. more inspiring than any of the usual 'lose weight, run PBS in 5 weeks, never get injured' stuff.

07/07/2013 at 21:04

I've bought it for years and still do.

I still find some value in there. Would prefer loads more on race reviews though, and less on food choices and diet tips and all that stuff.

08/07/2013 at 06:39

Recently cancelled after subscribing for many years.

08/07/2013 at 23:12

I've been a subscriber since '97. Generally, there is something of interest each month, but it is mostly repetetive, sometimes contradictory and frequently pushing sponsors. Do be honest, my mum took out the subscription for me and renews it each year as a birthday present, otherwise I would have cancelled years ago.

I find some of the american articles irritating, particularly when they don't even bother to change the spelling, terminology or "seasons". The biggest failing in my opinion is the ongoing reduction of content for committed club runners, epitomised by the demise of real race reports ( as opposed to plugs) and the quiet dropping of the occasional items about clubs and local running scenes. The occasional piece of extended writing with polysyllabic words and depth of content reminds me of how good I used to find the magazine. At least it is better than "Men's Health" - what a pile of steaming cr*p that is!

09/07/2013 at 10:24

I agree Johnny. Also been a long term subscriber, and noticed the same articles repeated to death.

Also to many Weight loss articles, and not enough training info. 

21 to 40 of 49 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.