LSD PACE at MARATHON PACE?

LSD PACE at MARATHON PACE?

7 messages
15/03/2008 at 17:03
So I'm training for my 4th marathon. My best time is 3:36. I'm Really hoping to get a 3:30 this time around, which means running 8 minute miles. Anyway, I've been running all my long runs at marathon pace or a little faster. I've read that some people do this and I was just wondering what some of you might think about this. I just feel like if I'm going to run 26.2 miles at an 8 minute per mile, I need to know what that feels like. Is this strategy some follow? So far I've done a 15 miler at 7:50 and a bunch of other 12 to 14 milers at 8:00s or a tad faster. I have my 20 milers coming up and was planning on doing the same thing pace wise. Also, after the 15 miler at 7:50 I felt pretty good. So yeah, any feedback or thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks everyone. I look forward to hearing from you.

PS: I'm also doing some tempo, speed work, and easy recovery runs
15/03/2008 at 17:09

Hi.

I'm the same. If your target is 8 minute miling then it makes sense to run that pace in training.

This way, you have the conditioning and you know you can keep that pace up over the required distance.

15/03/2008 at 17:23

I've only done 2 maras but see the sense in running your long runs at target race pace. However, I find this difficult to achieve constantly in training, and find that if I run about 30secs per mile slower, I can recover more quickly in order to do the rest of my planned training for the week. I struggle to hit race pace in training and have found that when I manage it, or do it too often, it just drains me completely and I end up missing other sessions due to tiredness and sore muscles.

I think as always, it depends on the individual.

Good luck! 

15/03/2008 at 18:20

A Frank Horwill programme I followed (very loosely) has you do two types of long runs.

One which has you on your feet for your target time (i.e 3:30) and another where you run upto 18 miles at marathon pace (8:00 m/m).

I had limited time to train but had already done plenty of the time on my feet runs (3hrs+) and plenty of races and quality work.

I only managed to do two long runs at marathon pace 14 and a 19 (6:45 m/m - actually both a little faster) and finished on the day in 2:55:55 or 6:43 m/m.

This is what I'll be doing again for my next marathon (if and when). 

Another similar programme

15/03/2008 at 18:38

Conventional running wisdom is that long runs should be done below marathon pace or you'll tire yourself out.  Your training is a combination of different sorts of runs which together should get you in perfect shape to complete the marathon in your target time.  Long runs are to build endurance.  Shorter runs are used to build your speed.  If you run your long runs too fast your legs will get tired and you'll find it hard to recover, which will affect your training and ultimately your race. 

15/03/2008 at 19:33

Conventional wisdom has you doing you LSD's at between 45 to 90 seconds a mile slower than your  race pace.

This gives you a good time on your feet, relatively fast recovery time, teaches your body to burn fat as its primary fuel source etc etc.

If your an experienced marathon runner, you could probably get away with doing some of your LSDs at race pace but I would not advise it for a relative newcomer.

15/03/2008 at 21:04
Running your long training runs at mara pace is a shortcut to the injury bench

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.