Lucozade drink vs gels

Lucozade drink vs gels

21 to 29 of 29 messages
15/03/2013 at 12:39

Craig - have you read Noakes' research yet - it's very compelling stuff.   After all dehydration during a marathon hasn't killed anyone yet( as far as I know) but hyponatraemia cartainly has.

15/03/2013 at 12:49

I've got dehydrated on a couple of LSRs which resulted in a banging headache, so I'd err on the side of drinking during a long run.  As said, each to their own and best find out what works for you

15/03/2013 at 12:54

I have never said don't drink - just don't drink to a rate  eg you MUST have 500mls per hour.

A headache is a lot better than collapsing and dying from over comsumption.  I realise I am probably coming on a bit strong about this at the minute - it's because I am reading 'waterlogged' right now after hearing an interview with Tim Noakes on the subject.  He is a bit of a guru - not a fly-by-night or anything.

Edited: 15/03/2013 at 12:55
15/03/2013 at 13:34

Not read it yet, will have a read later on.

You say that there hasn't been a death due to dehydration but there has from hypernatremia. What you need to take into consideration is they are very closely linked - Dehydration is simply an excessive loss of fluid. Hypernatremia on the other hand is elevated sodium levels in the blood. This can be as a result of dehydration as the fluid content of the blood is so low it makes the sodium levels much higher. If they were well hydrated the sodium content would be diluted and this might have lead to a different outcome.

As you just mentioned above it is also important to make sure you are not consuming too much which is why it can be very beneficial to work out how much sweat you are actually losing and also plan ahead and make a suitable rehydration plan - if you are running in on a cold day you wont sweat as much as on a hot summers day therefore you should plan a lower amount of fluid on colder days. This will prevent over consumption and dehydration

15/03/2013 at 13:38

Sorry just realised i misread your post and you said Hyponatremia not hypernatremia.

Similar to what i just said above if people have died as a result of hyponatremia it should therefore be advised to take on board additional sodium in the form of sports drinks - after all its what they are designed to do.

hyponatremia or water intoxication can happen in long distance runners who consume a lot of water and lose a lot of salt through sweat. If you are a heavy sweater you should plan for this and make sure you take on additional sodium.

15/03/2013 at 13:40
Again. I would read it if I were you. Sodium concentration on the blood is extensively discussed and the addition of sports drinks completely thrown out for their electrolyte component. ( but not for their carbs)
15/03/2013 at 13:44
The whys and wherefores of sodium in sweat etc also gone over in Great detail. All the things you are saying are exactly what the drinks manufacturers say, it echoes what I have been taught on my sports nutrition courses but all of it is disputed with much authority by noakes.
15/03/2013 at 18:52
Craig Watson Sports Nutrition wrote (see)

Sorry just realised i misread your post and you said Hyponatremia not hypernatremia.

Edited: 15/03/2013 at 18:52
15/03/2013 at 18:53

Good job you're not handing out advice on the internet then...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 29 of 29 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.