Madonna to run The Marathon Des Sables

41 to 55 of 55 messages
04/09/2009 at 13:00
I'd draw the line waaaaaaaay before that JW!
04/09/2009 at 13:02

I read about an ex SAS officer who left then signed up again to prove he could still do it. On one of their extreme march tests he decided to load his backpack with bricks instead of kit.

As the weather closed in and he began to struggle, other squaddies asked if he was ok.

"Yes", and struggled on.

Died of hypothermia.

Moral: sometimes being too macho will get you killed.

My understanding is they have a lot of IV drips set up as standard at MDS, so its not exactly a RFL. But even so, for some, me included, there sometimes seems to be an element of one-upmanship in this type of event, and some events seem to confer automatic bragging rights. 

- Johnny Blaze - next challenge:transatlantic swim underwater with an anvil down my budgie smugglers

seren nos yn canu    pirate
04/09/2009 at 13:05
Devoted2Distance wrote (see)
I think it's safe to say that we're in the minority. People I tell about my Marathons and LSRs generally aren't interested and either think you're a psycho or just out for bragging rights!

maybe thats says more about you than the public in general

and I know I won't make podium finishes however hard I train so i'm busy trying to find out what I can cope with by going longer............I'm still working on breaking all my other PB's..............but one distance doesn't mean more to me than the others.....

04/09/2009 at 13:07
JB - sounds like a worthy challenge.  Can you give me a link to your justgiving page and I'll throw in a fiver.
04/09/2009 at 13:10
Can you give me a link  to your justgiving page and I'll throw in a couple of sledgehammers
Gyraffe    pirate
04/09/2009 at 13:54

popsider wrote (see)

cachet to effort ratio.    

Excellent concept Popsider - and could be the final word on the boring FLM discussion too.

Life is a narrative and the only limit is your imagination.

oxymoron    pirate
04/09/2009 at 14:21
Johnny Blaze wrote (see)

My understanding is they have a lot of IV drips set up as standard at MDS, so its not exactly a RFL. But even so, for some, me included, there sometimes seems to be an element of one-upmanship in this type of event, and some events seem to confer automatic bragging rights. 

do you ever actually hear anyone bragging about this kind of thing though? if i did i would laugh at them, i have no idea why anyone would brag about doing the mds or badwater or getting a sub 2.15 marathon, its only a bit of running around innit?
04/09/2009 at 14:36
04/09/2009 at 15:06

Thing is, I went in the sauna the other night.

One other bloke in there.

Me: Good workout?

OB: Yep i'm climbing Mt Kilimanjaro in October

If that isn't early use of the swanking card I don't know what is.

(I told him I'd done a triple IronMan in the Himalayas just to outdo him).

oxymoron    pirate
04/09/2009 at 15:08
did you all look at each others winkies too?
04/09/2009 at 15:24
Johnny Blaze wrote (see)

Thing is, I went in the sauna the other night.

One other bloke in there.

Me: Good workout?

OB: Yep i'm climbing Mt Kilimanjaro in October

If that isn't early use of the swanking card I don't know what is.

(I told him I'd done a triple IronMan in the Himalayas just to outdo him).

Do you mean in the literal sense, or do you mean you fucked some guy while on a trekking holiday?

oxymoron    pirate
04/09/2009 at 15:25
lol
04/09/2009 at 15:32
Popsider - how about the Derby Sportif?   Guaranteed to sell out and you can charge what you like.
04/09/2009 at 15:50
Nick - yes. And very nice it was too.
04/09/2009 at 16:15
LOL

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 55 of 55 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.