Male v Female numbers?

How do other races compare?

1 to 20 of 34 messages
07/03/2013 at 15:19

We've been watching our stats this year and seen a big jump from almost a 55/45 split for a few months to almost a 70/30 split of men and women entering our race. 

What makes more men suddenly sign up in February? Does a male dominated race bother anyone? 

seren nos    pirate
07/03/2013 at 15:23

women like to rpepare and enter these things early so that they klnow they have a place and can train.......

men leave it to last minute tyo organise things and enter

07/03/2013 at 15:24

More men run, more men race so no surprise to me

07/03/2013 at 15:24

No idea why you would have a sudden jump in male entries. Maybe females are more likely to have signed up early to be efficient and practical with your early bird offer you had so now the counterbalance happens and then it evens out again nearer the race date?

And no doesn't bother me, in fact I actually feel better for completing a male dominated event such as Tough Guy or some hard run. Daft but it gives me a sense of being in a minority that I like. 

07/03/2013 at 15:31
You can compare other races yourself. I have my A-level in statistics so I will give you some tips. Go to a race webpage. Look at the results and count how many Ms there are compared to Fs.
07/03/2013 at 15:33

Our stats make us think last year was slightly out of the norm for a race, JF50. We had a higher number of female entries than the average race and a 59/41 split. Maybe it's just a changing trend plus our area might brings in more females. Be interesting to see if it's about the same after this years race in September. 

www.ealinghalfmarathon.com

07/03/2013 at 15:34

Don't tempt me to enter, I'll sway the stats only one way

07/03/2013 at 15:36

We were more wondering why a sudden spike in Feb for male signups Sussex Runner that's all. 

Think seren nos might be on to something.

07/03/2013 at 15:36
Do you offer the same prize money for the female winner compared to the male winner?
07/03/2013 at 15:37

Come on JF50, you know you want to..... come over to the West London side....it's even better than the dark side!

07/03/2013 at 15:38

It doesn't bother me doing a male-dominated event because I'm only likely to notice the male-female split in the part of the race I'm running in, not the whole thing, and because of the general trend for men to be faster than women, the faster I go the fewer other women there'll be around me compared to men. So if I can't see any other women that's probably a good sign!

07/03/2013 at 15:39

We do yes Susse Runner. What's your opinion on that? Good or bad? 

Edited: 07/03/2013 at 15:39
07/03/2013 at 15:40

If more men sign up late it's probably because more men run, so therefore more men are statisically available to run a half marathon at short notice, as it's only a short distance if you run regular. I dare say lots of women sign up late too, but they will be regular runners used to the distance, of which there are less. 

Without wanting to sound sexist, men seem to have a more devil may care, I can do it attitude as well.

07/03/2013 at 15:43

Good thoughts literatin - the less women you see the better, great indicator and a good aim for picking people off. 

07/03/2013 at 15:48

I never get that far ahead to use that thought process literatin  

I don't think that's a sexist comment lardarse, think it's just true. You get 'chicked' in our run club if one of the guys gets beaten by a girl. Think that's probably more sexist but it's genuinely meant in good humour and taken as such.....by most who aren't chicked 

07/03/2013 at 15:52
Miss Knees wrote (see)

I never get that far ahead to use that thought process literatin  

Well, I don't normally win or anything!

07/03/2013 at 15:56

Normally?....

07/03/2013 at 15:58
seren nos wrote (see)

women like to rpepare and enter these things early so that they klnow they have a place and can train.......

I'm not sure that signing 

07/03/2013 at 16:00
seren nos wrote (see)

I'm not sure that signing up for a half marathon 7 months in advance can be described as 'last minute'

07/03/2013 at 16:16
According to Hal Higdon, 57% finishers in HMs are female versus 41% for full marathons but I'm guessing this is based on US races.

I'd love to do the Ealing Half but I think it clashes again with the Moor Park 10k which is also local to me.

Like others have said, I'm really not that bothered re proportion of males/females in a race, it's not usually something I'm even aware of until I see the results.
1 to 20 of 34 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.