MANCHESTER RUNNERS

Where shall I live?

1 to 20 of 31 messages
10/07/2004 at 23:24
I am moving oop north as I have a new job in manchester. However I am not sure where to live yet. One of the things to consider in the equation is running. I need to be in a place that s green, runner friendly, leafy, clean air, safe etc etc

Thinking of sale/altrincham, adlington or may opt for Wigan where I have family.

Where is the best place to live if your a runner working in Manc?????

Cheers for any advice!
10/07/2004 at 23:28
Sorry can't answer your question, but I did hre on the radio that the people of Manchester drink lods of champage.

Good luck with the move.
10/07/2004 at 23:33
i live in Alty - its very green araound here - cant say much about running as i dont do that much but its ok for living

good transport networks

a colleague of mine has recently bought in Urmston but she rented a flat near to work then looked a round for a few months to get some idea

where will you be working ?
11/07/2004 at 06:58
Avoid Moss Side and Gorton.
11/07/2004 at 07:05
And I was going to recommend Moss Side for the running aspect.
11/07/2004 at 11:54
I live in Chorlton, close by is the Mersey Valley / Sale & Chorlton water parks. It's like running in the country, only it's just 4 miles from the city centre.
11/07/2004 at 12:52
Yorkshire. There is no where green in Manchester
Plum    pirate
11/07/2004 at 12:56
Ordsall area is ok if you need a bit of speedwork, wear plenty of bling bling and go for a stroll through the estate
11/07/2004 at 14:40
Depends on how much you want to pay in rent or how much you want to pay if you buy a house.

I'd opt for Sale, Altrincham, Cheadle Hulme, the 'Heatons'. Nice running areas are only a couple of miles away and these areas are safe to run on the roads too.

Let us know when you land and we'll meet up for a drink!

Good luck!
11/07/2004 at 14:48
charlton and sale has water parks which are very popular for runners.
also didsbury has alot of roadrunners.
11/07/2004 at 15:09
ITs always raining everyone wears a flat cap and the only people who speak the Queens English are Man Utd fans who travel up from London every weekend
11/07/2004 at 15:26
Thanks FiFi - I am planning on buying and may be able to afford a garden shed! Will be staying with a mate to start off with though. What a strange name you have!
11/07/2004 at 16:22
Oi barnsleyrunner - I was born in Gorton.

You could always try a bit further out if you don't mind a commute. My family live in North Derbyshire (about 13 miles from Manc). Lovely and green, edge of the Peak District, bugger all to do in the evenings.......
11/07/2004 at 16:52
Altrincham -
Good motorway links and metrolink to manchester. good access to airport

Running - easy access to the Cheshire Countryside, Dunham park, very friendly local running club

Local shops, huge Tesco (at the bottom of my street), new multiplex cinema to be built

I've lived here for 12 years now and no intention of moving elsewhere
11/07/2004 at 17:52
Macclesfield
- rural Cheshire plain to the West, rugged Peak District to the East,
- Macclesfield Harriers
- good train link to MCR

(which Adlington are you thinking of? Chehire or Lancs?)
11/07/2004 at 19:03
Can I move in Floosie Sue? Feeling homesick for the PD.
Actually, anywhere in Derbyshire would be nice.
11/07/2004 at 19:20
I was in Manchester on Christmas Day (and used to live there for 8 years) and had the most gorgeous, frosty morning run ever in Chorlton/Sale Water Park. Chorlton's a great area and there's a running club in Sale...
11/07/2004 at 19:28
Welcome to God's Own Country, Stevo.

One of the (many) wonderful things about Manchester, apart from the friendliness of the natives, is that wherever you live, you are never all that far from scenic running territory.

This is because urban Manchester is a long, thin strip of development stretching north to south. Just travel a few miles east or west and you have the Cheshire plains or the Derbyshire hills on the south side, the Fylde estuary plain and the Pennine foothills to the north. Depends how much hill-work you need, really.

Added to this, we have an extensive network of canal towpaths, the Mersey Valley riverside runs and disused railways that have been turned into cycle paths. You are about to enter running Heaven !

On the downside, there are some ridiculous house-price hotspots. A national survey just found that Withington was third place in the country for the inward movement of "affluentials" - people earning more than £60,000 pa - and that is because they can't afford Didsbury.

A last word of warning - be careful of that Wolfy, she's really evil, she is (in a nice way, of course).
11/07/2004 at 19:32
Altrincham, Didsbury and wilmslow are very, very expensive. Whilst I'd think about the running aspect I think you also need to think about your social requirements too. Will you be a single person? If so you need to be near the train/tram links to get into Manchester for the night life and for that Sale is a good option as it's very close to Manchester but is also a v.nice area.

Macclesfield is too far out and I love the place and Higs and I have been known to run together but it's too far from Manchester if you are commuting every day don't rely on trains...they are bizz!

Hope this helps. I live in Cheadle Hulme which is a bit of a half way house in that it isn't as far as Macc but isn't quite as expensive as Alty or Disbury.

My normal name on here is Wolfy but when at home I can't log in as Wolfy so have adopted the name of my fave ginge pussy...Phoenix (aka Fi Fi)!

Good luck!

ps. do not go near Ashton, Droyslden, Openshaw, North Manchester (unless it's Prestwich) or Ordsall!

11/07/2004 at 19:33
oi lynne you cheeky fing....evel...but mighty cute! tee hee hope you are well! x
1 to 20 of 31 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.