Marathon Advice - Training Plans

Need some help on a Training Plan

5 messages
27/01/2004 at 16:41
Hi,
I'm 31 and running my first marathon this year - London.
I have been running 5-7 miles 2-3 times a week for about 18 months now - times between 37 - 54 minutes.
I am starting my marathon training, but I don't have a plan, clearly this is a little late! I also have criteria where I don't want to run at weekends. So have a realistic maximum of 4 runs a week. Am I being foolish, or is there a plan out there that will suit me. Ideally I want to be running as close to 4 hours as possible (am I kidding myself?).

Thanks,
phil
27/01/2004 at 16:56
There are loads of plans around. Most schedules seem to be over 16 or 18 weeks, although you've got 12 weeks which should be enough for a reasonable effort, especially if you run a bit already. There are some on this site, and on halhigdon.com, and on nyrrc.org, and there are lots of books - Bob Glover's ones are good.

To be honest, they all say pretty much the same thing: your week should include
- one long run (building to 16 - 20 miles)
- one shorter, faster "tempo" run (6 - 8 miles)
- some kind of interval run (hills, fartlek etc.)
- other medium runs, whatever you can fit in.
Plus they give some sensible tips
- alternate hard and easier days
- build up mileage gently - roughly 10% per week
- taper as you approach the marathon

As for times, there's no telling. Some people run 6 times a week and do it in 5 hours, some run twice a week and do it in 3. It depends on what you're like. Your times sound quite quick, so yes, you could potentially get a good time.

27/01/2004 at 17:05
Great, many thanks.
27/01/2004 at 17:21
Phil
Click the grey TRAINING tab at the top of the page and look at the schedules on there.
JJ
klm
30/01/2004 at 10:02
Hi Phil,

I am also training for the FLM (fist time). I generally do two-three 40 min runs in the gym because its winter (interval training) with some resistance training and then one outdoor long run which i have built up to 11 miles - 1hr35min. So far i have found this is plenty. i dont think i could use a training plan that suggests you run 6 times a week as that would really take over your life.

I am however aiming to finish within 4hr 30min - which would be a 10 minute mile - at the mo i'm running a 9 minute mile but think i should over compensate rather than under.

At the end of the day, running a marathon is a huge achivement and just finnishing is good enough.

Good Luck

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
5 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.