Marathon Recovery

7 messages
01/04/2005 at 22:01
Anyone pass on any tips on the best way to recover after running a marathon? How long does it take you to fully recover?
01/04/2005 at 22:23
A day per mile but it depends a lot on age and fitness levels.
JJ
jd
01/04/2005 at 22:30
So dependent on fitness.
If you use up all your reserves, it could be months.
If you are on top form, it will be days (my 10mile and 1/2 marathon PBs were 7 and 14 days after my marathon PB)
01/04/2005 at 22:36
I'll usually have a few days not running, or maybe a week depending on how hard th emarathon was.
If its your first I'd expect to take a few weeks or more, best to wait longer than you think you'll need and take an extra week off.
That said I ran a marathon the week after my pb, and another the week after.
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
02/04/2005 at 17:39
It's very individual. It also depends on how hard/fast you run. Some runners can run marathons almost every weekend without too much trouble. Those who race very fast and really push themselves in the marathon usually need a longer recovery. If you've done all the training, you'll recover much faster than if you go into it not really fit to run 26.2 miles.
03/04/2005 at 18:30
Thanx for all your help and advice. In the days immediately after I thought I would try some spinning with my bike on the turbo trainer. Nice easy gear and fast spinning to hopefully clear the lactate faster.
Plum    pirate
03/04/2005 at 19:22
Try if you can to do something the next morning, a five minute jog may sound like purgatory but it doesnt half clear the crap out of the muscles and get the juices flowing again. You will honestly feel better after

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.