Marshals make the difference.

21 to 36 of 36 messages
14/03/2013 at 20:59
If I've paid ??50 to enter a big city marathon I'm always polite and thankful to the marshals but I know if they're G4S etc staff that they're being paid to do a job.

If I'm doing a small marathon, ultra or club race I can just about guarantee everyone helping out is a volunteer and I'll usually take along some sort of snacks for them, to say thanks. At ultras I always stick a note of thanks on my drop bags and a box of nibbles for checkpoint volunteers.

I've ended up marshaling at quite a few ultras just by emailing the organisers and asking if they'd like any help. Usually extra bodies are always welcome...
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
15/03/2013 at 11:13

Just a little footnote about the competitors - at our triathlon we always have a couple of the top pros in the area racing and after they've finished they always do a cool-down jog back around the course to thank the marshals. Nice people and not too high and mighty just because they came first and second. 

UFO
15/03/2013 at 11:22

Those winners who jog back along the course and get in the way of rest of us need reporting too, but I suppose that's another story.

UFO
15/03/2013 at 13:38
Following the games makers at the Olympics there is a sports makers website.

http://www.sportmakers.co.uk/

I've been contacted today as Luton Triathlon 24th March needs volunteers

Milton Keynes marathon has a link on its site asking for volunteers

I can't remember who asked the original question

Two years ago at the Berkhamsted (sp?) half I worked my socks off for 2.29 (combination of not enough training & in parts a Hard course) coming over the line I was told by the ladies "you are so late there is nothing left. Where have you been" my face said it all & she rummage around for water & a banana. The few people behind me just crawled away
15/03/2013 at 14:15
cowgirl668 wrote (see)

I was told by the ladies "you are so late there is nothing left. Where have you been" my face said it all & she rummage around for water & a banana. The few people behind me just crawled away

Someone said where have you been!? How blimming rude. For most races with 2,000 or so runners, you'd see runners up to 3hours and a bit beyond, so 2.29 isn't ridiculously late.

When I marshall and see the real backmarkers coming past, I don't think "blimey they're slow", it's more, wow, the strength to put yourself through it!

15/03/2013 at 20:43

At one race I was in, one of our elderly lady members was somewhat perturbed to discover the finish area had been dismantled before she had finished.

When she complained about it, the marshall wasn't a diplomatic success when he suggested she was so slow it didn't matter.

With no more ado, she walked over to her car  (Nissan 280Z I think) climbed in, switched on the engine and in a blazing fury, lay a couple of strips of rubber down on the way out of the car park.

Not happy.

15/03/2013 at 20:49

You wouldn't be happy would you.

Struggle through a race, with just that thought of going over the finishing line to keep you going.

Then you get there and it's been dismantled

15/03/2013 at 21:10
It made me cross to the fact I feel intimidated doing any 1/2 where the published times are under 2.30.

Anyway it's a bit like golf it's just yourself you are racing against
15/03/2013 at 21:14

you wouldn't get that at the bigger races.

Even the one I marshall has about 1,000 runners and has people over 3hours.

Although that is a pretty damm hard course in fairness.

17/03/2013 at 16:10
Just Marshaled at the Fleet Half today and took an unbelievable amount of abuse from the general public that were unable to exit a car park at my marshal point due to the road being closed in both directions. Apparently they all lived "just down there" I got so fed up that I asked them why they had parked in a pay and display if they all lived 'just down there'. Even got grief off a priest !! In contrast though, when the runners, who accounted for the majority of those parked in there, left, I was repeatedly thanked despite the fact that I was only allowing them to turn left due to the finishers using the opposite side of the road. It's a shame that marshals/volunteers get that level of abuse but thankfully none of it came from those taking part.
19/03/2013 at 23:45

Cowgirl668, what a horrible experience. At 2:29 you would have been at least 15 mins faster than me too.

I asked the question about marshalling. I'm in Manchester, so the two races you suggested are a bit far, but I'll check out the sportmaker site.Thanks.

A quick mention for the excellent and friendly marshalls at the Stockport 10 last year. I was last for a significant part of the race, but never felt rushed by the sweepers behind me.

21/03/2013 at 10:24

Jane, just email the organisers of your local race, or one you fancy helping at.  I have done a couple now as have been injured of late and its good fun.  A little bittersweet but worth giving something back.  

The volunteers, marshalls and spectators at both ironmen i did have been so amazing, influential, uplifting, its made HUGE difference on the day.  From the lady who peeled my wetsuit off my hypothermic body to the dude who put a blanket over my shoulders at the finish - i can well up just thinking about how lovely those people were!  I always make a point of writing and thanking, and also saying thanks on the day to those on the road side.  And smiling at them. 

09/12/2013 at 23:50
I'm only just starting jogging again after surgery. So I decided to marshal at the Stockport 10 this last weekend. Really surprised by how enjoyable it was to do. And by the number of runners who were able to spare the breath to say thanks. I'm hoping I'll be running it next year but I'll definitely marshal again at some point.
10/12/2013 at 07:01

I've had both sides of the coin. I think that it really does depend on the race and the marshals. I always try to say thank you to the marshals and give them a smile/wave.

10/12/2013 at 12:48

I really enjoy marshalling/general supporting duties. I take my pom-poms and generally go crazy in the hope that runners can soak up a bit of my energy. I helped at the Leeds Christmas 10k at the weekend and was stationed at the bottom of a short hill. I made so much noise as the runners approached me and shouted a lot of encouragement to all. I got a lot of positive feedback and thanks.

I always try to say thank you or at least wave to marshals on the way round a race. And if anyone has been particularly supportive I make a point of getting in touch with race organisers afterwards.

10/12/2013 at 16:28
I remember a 10k last year where some of the marshals (drawn from the local athletics club) actually jogged in with the last few runners over the final stages. Most of them were quite young and the way they did it was really supportive and touching.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
21 to 36 of 36 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.