'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

261 to 280 of 166,429 messages
29/01/2003 at 20:44
By the way there's a party on the unofficial forum tomorrow, Caz's place, bring some drink and nibbles.
29/01/2003 at 21:02
WW, you've sussed it - and I made the mistake of thinking Billow was serious... Ever been had?
29/01/2003 at 21:19
Must be an interesting match...
29/01/2003 at 21:34
Yawn... fascinating... night all... bored HW slopes off to find something useful to do...
29/01/2003 at 23:03
<piglet trots in with little case, puts it down in corner and snuggles down in the straw>

<yaaaaawnnnn>

<snuffle>

G'night :)
30/01/2003 at 00:33
JJ,

Took a while to get back to you especially after being diverted by Billow the Belt.

None of the V60's I know are on the internet so tricky to get them to contribute. They are of course all built like whippets and have been fast from birth. My plan is to outlive them as the ones who beat me in races have always beaten me even when they were spring chickens of 35 or so. But as they started running about 15 years before me their catilage should wear out soon and give me 15 years to enjoy supremacy. 2025 should be a good year for me if I'm still alive.

The exception is Geoff Oliver who started running when he was about 50 and is still ahead of me even though he's about 10 years older.

I'll pick their brains for training tips but suspect that what I'll come back with is:

a. Don't train every day, and
b. Keep up the speed work, i.e.
c. Speed is more important than distance as you get older.

Watch this space.

Sorry I couldn'tmake it rhyme.
30/01/2003 at 01:00
<rustle>

<snuffle, snuffle>

... do I smell fire??

<yaaaawnnnn>

<piglet turns over and sleeps>
30/01/2003 at 06:03
<rustle, rustle>

<piglet emerges from straw, takes up little case and trots out to find something to eat>
30/01/2003 at 08:14
Hi Piglet. Early riser this morning or have you just got home? Anything you wish to tell us?

Burnt Out Everard.
Thanks for that message. I wouldn't differ at all from your general views but I would still like to compare detailed notes with some of these whippets.I need all the help I can get. Fr'instance, I have a day off tomorrow so I will be able to get in a decent long run. Today I've avoided running because I would be too 'tight' tomorrow. Effectively a day's training opportunity missed. I know that some of these guys, at least according to learned journals, train almost every day.
There's one 70 year old american who is breaking age-group records (with times that you and I would get no-where near) and who is claimed to run 10 miles a day with one day off per week. What's his secret? Some sort of genetic defect?
JJ
30/01/2003 at 08:26
Morning all!!

That Billow's a bit of a babe isnt she? When's she coming back again??

There's nothing funnier than a SOHF.

Hey I'm working on a pome. WildWill has inspired me.

L8ers grizzly dudes!
30/01/2003 at 08:27
OK JJ, I'll let you in on some info. The guy who kindly ran with me for most of the Watford half route a weeek ago is 76, he carried on with the rest of the group when I ground to a halt. The club coach is an ultra runner who, I would say, is well over 60 - apparently he doesn't 'run' any more, he's switched to race-walking.

If it makes you happy, when I can walk and run again (which should be in about a week if all goes well), then I will ask them their times and tips, and see if they already lurk on here under other names.
30/01/2003 at 08:46
Helen W. you are a scholar and a lady. Anything you can do would be appreciated.

Morning Chimp. I think the Pillow is best ignored. I suspect a problem. I've looked at the US site and can't find any postings in her name but maybe I have not looked far enough. It wasn't interesting enough to spend a lot of time on.
Can I have publishing rights for the pome?

I see you've been selling in the stock markets again and forced prices down even more. Don't ignore my advice. Do the opposite of the market - buy when it's falling, sell when it's risng. A real chance to turn your 15 squids into 30. Less £20 commission.
JJ

30/01/2003 at 09:33
Morning all. Bold squirrel was back again this morning, and has learnt that my cat, while large, is in fact a wuss puss.
Nice pomes, but didn't understand Billow's. Was it an example of free verse?
Piglet - there's a great pic of some of your friends in the Guardian this morning, together with a top ten list of favourite piggy toys. No mention of wicking briefs, though.
Helen W - will go off in search of the Ron the Pod thread.
30/01/2003 at 09:42
Hi Meerkat. Won't bother with the Guardian then. I'll be able to concentrate on this week's edition of the Nudist Leapfrog Weekly (purely in the interest of research of course).
JJ
30/01/2003 at 09:52
Morning JJ. You're looking smart again today.
30/01/2003 at 10:11
MK
How do you know I'm not down the garden, in mud covered jeans, tending the ornamental mangel-worzels (or mangold-worzels)? Before you ask, I might have a p/c in the greenhouse for all you know.
JJ
30/01/2003 at 10:21
Witchie.
Yep! I'm sure society's in a loop that started roughly in the 60s. My lot's all around 30 now and they haven't yet come up with anything that's totally original.
JJ
30/01/2003 at 10:21
errr...mongoose intuition? No, okay. Informed guess based on prior intelligence.
30/01/2003 at 10:30
MK
Dress down Thursday. Cord jacket, P.of Wales check shirt. M & S tie with square patttern. Beige trousers. Brown shoes/socks. Has a Sunday lunchtime at the country pub look. Slight hangover (half-decent rioja) and can't remember what underwear. Will check later and report back.
JJ
30/01/2003 at 10:31
Ha! It was mongoose intuition after all.
261 to 280 of 166,429 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.