'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

82,141 to 82,160 of 138,977 messages
08/01/2005 at 04:17
Night gos. Sleep well.
08/01/2005 at 06:30
Morning all.

I hoped the wind would have eased off by now,but it sounds worse.Don't think I'll run through the woods this morning.
Better get the kettle on first!
08/01/2005 at 07:34
Morning all - the wind has finally died down. No water here this morning :-( Local pumping station has probably fused.

Did manage to drain enough out of the pipes to fill the percolator. I'm surrounded by woods, so I'd better keep a sharp eye out.
RD
Flr
08/01/2005 at 07:55
it's very wild in leafy Tedd

do I really have to do 9 miles in it?

isn't it unsafe or something?????
Flr
08/01/2005 at 08:30
wibble

shall not comment on life threatening winds, although I accept we rarely get them in this country
08/01/2005 at 09:10
You're right JJ-The kettle does nothing to enhance my appearance-and would have blown away anyway!

I set out intending to do 5-6 easy miles.
Which would appear to be reflected in the time:Just over 6 miles in 1 hour 2 minutes.

However the first 2 miles I was buffeted on all sides by the wind and disentangling twiggy branchy things from around my feet!
For the rest of the run I had a Battle Royale with a head on wind-Several times I was reduced to practically running on the spot!
It was strange to be leaning my full weight(considerable!)against the wind as though it were a physical thing.
I'm sure if the wind had suddenly dropped I'd have fallen flat on my face!
The final just under half a mile was also uphill.
I can safely say that's the hardest work I've done since Luton marathon.
Perversely I really enjoyed it :oD
08/01/2005 at 09:18
Lots of trees blown down around here - may have to have another rest day. I've never felt so rested!
Flr
08/01/2005 at 09:24
nice one Gos

is it cold in that wind - do I need a fleece?

hi DavidB - M6 closed in 3 places :-o
08/01/2005 at 09:26
It was a ploy to get me out with the dogs. Bright and sunny.. until I was as far from the house as I could get, then it persisted down :-( and, of course, I had failed to remember the 'lack of water' at home. The dogs didn't go too much on being washed off with cold water from the garden water barrel. You would think that they would be clean if it's hammering down with rain.

gozzie - that sounds like fun! - at least you're back safe without a branch stuck to your head.

flr - shift yer butt! It's quite safe, just wear a hard hat. [ notice the restraint in not making any 'helmet' references ] - Doh!

I'm gone... (c)JimC
RD
08/01/2005 at 09:31
flr: yes but all further north - Shap is a regular feature on the traffic reports in winter; what a wonderful place that is, possibly the most unlikely venue for an open air swimming pool I've ever come across!
08/01/2005 at 09:32
flr-I thought I'd be cold so I wore my running jacket(Very unusual for me!) but it was such hard work I was v.hot-My face is still red! !

In the last bit of my run the sunrise was on one side and a rainbow on my right-Beautiful ! !
08/01/2005 at 09:33
DB-Been out for a run yet? (0:
08/01/2005 at 09:34
removes branch stuck to head . . .

Eh-What was that RD ?
Flr
08/01/2005 at 09:35
he's got some huge impediment in his way that he's scared of tripping over it seems Gos
08/01/2005 at 09:36
Not yet goslo (it's raining again now).

FLR thanks for the "huge" :-)
08/01/2005 at 09:38
wind is freezing

and some driving rain

Must wear more than a thin long sleeved topand tights next time

Offfra barrrrf
then in to work
08/01/2005 at 09:39
DB-Get yo lazy butt outta dat door right NOW! !
08/01/2005 at 09:55
Ah,that's better-Tea,muffins and honey-Yummy (0:
08/01/2005 at 10:19
Morning JJ-Thanks.

Sounds as though you had a good run (0:
08/01/2005 at 11:03
Good morning ladies and gents!

First, "Well done" to all of you runners! Excellent running in adverse conditions. NICE!

JJ - Respectable mileage, with both quality and quantity.

flr - Although the men are basically correct, if the wind is called a gale, hurricane or tornado, wind can be life-threatening. Also, if the wind is tossing limbs and trees around, I would not run.

gos - Exceptional running and time! You are a strong runner.

Have a great day! I'm gone.....
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.