'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

161,601 to 161,620 of 166,988 messages
04/10/2012 at 08:25

Morning all,

The sun's out and so will I be in  few minutes.  A tempo run methinks 

Columba, GB=Gold Bond place where you pledge to raise a specified amount for your chosen charity.  I ran one for Cancer Research and they asked for £3500 for their GB places 'cos so many people apply.  ARUK ask for £1500 and I've used one of their GB places 5 times now.  I never thought I'd raise that amount but have always exceeded it but it's jolly hard work!  Good to hear your job is continuing.

TE, there are some wheels available but I prefer hand-building methods such as slabbing and coiling.  I haven't done any pottery since 2007 as there haven't been any courses available locally so I'm starting afresh.

Right, off out 

04/10/2012 at 09:11

Red, enjoy your run in the sun!

Tonight is a 6 mile fartlek session with the Club. I'm hoping the rain will hold off, as it is forecast heavy rain from Thursday evening, right through the weekend.

04/10/2012 at 19:07

Redhead, i hope you kepy yourself dry today.

5 miles tonight 54-52 my quickest since may, the weight is slowly coming off.

04/10/2012 at 21:28

TE - your car story was a real belt-and-braces tale!

We had sunshine this morning, and I ran 5 miles along a very hilly moorland road. By prior arrangement, I ran to a friend's house, and she revived me with coffee and chocolate biscuits and chat, and gave me a jumper to wear when I'd cooled off, and drove me home again. It is SO hilly I knew I wouldn't be able to run back as well as there. As it was, I had to drop to a walk twice. She lives right out in the wilds, with a horse and three dogs. And a husband, but he wasn't there today. 

04/10/2012 at 21:29

OT - my 5 miles took 15 minutes longer than yours!

05/10/2012 at 09:25

Columba, yes it was really scary. The car was a Ford Cortina Estate and so underpowered that it was dangerous. With a car load, I would have to go down into second gear for most hills. The handbrake was very poor. Your run sounded eventful and it is good to train on tough routes.

Last night was a 6 mile fartlek session, with alternating miles of steady and faster. The rain actually held off, so the session was completed in the dry. The evenings are now noticeably colder.

05/10/2012 at 09:52

Morning all,

Rain, gales, rain, gusts, RAIN, GUSTS!  That sums up last night and this morning.  My hat blew off 3 times when I went out to the horses and I got blown over climbing over the stile to check the sheepies - I can hear you sniggering you know! 

Glad I'm not running today, just gym stuff so I'll just be wet from sweat not rain.

Columba, well done for your hilly route.  It's perfectly acceptable to walk the really steep bits and I shall undoubtedly be doing just the same on the 7 Sisters towards the end of Beachy Head.  I chuckled when you said your friend lived

Columba wrote (see)

with a horse and three dogs.

Then the husband is an afterthought!!! 

I've got a dilemma.  The local Horticultural Society need 2 new committee members and I've been approached.  I've been avoiding all sorts of committees since I left the Bank but I feel almost obliged to take a turn at helping out.  The trouble is I know that there is a lot of faffing goes on and I'm not patient enough to keep my mouth shut!  So, do I thrown myself into it and bite my tongue when necessary or do I refuse, politely of course, and use my charity work as the excuse?  Any advice gratefully received.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
05/10/2012 at 11:21

I know what I'd do, I avoid committees like the plague, for precisely the same reason as you, I can't keep my mouth shut and have very little patience with people who can't make their minds up.

05/10/2012 at 15:08

It hasn't started raining here yet, and so far have avoided the 60mph gusts of wind. Ran a steady 5 miles this morning.

Red, I've served on various committees in the past, in various posts, and it is a thankless task. I think members tend to be taken for granted, and get little thanks for all their efforts, much in their own time. My advice would be to politely decline, as you already do more than your fair share of charity work.

05/10/2012 at 21:12

Sorry not to have been around for a couple of days. A lot has been happening and I've got a bit of a cold.
Daughter still hasn't given birth yet.The birth will be induced tomorrow but it could still take up to 3 days.

Redhead
You don't need to be on a committee to be available to help out at events.
Amateur committees tend to go on far too long due to bad chairmanship. I'm on my second stint as chairman of the local gardening association and each time I've reduced the meeting time from 4 - 5 hours to 90 minutes. Being businesslike and effective doesn't mean they can't be funny as well.
JJ

05/10/2012 at 23:42

4 - 5 hours for a committee meeting??? - horrors.

I also have avoided all committees since a 2-year stint as treasurer of Ysgol Meithrin (Welsh playgroup) about 23 years ago. I also can't stand all the faffing, but tend to put up with it and fret and fume silently about the waste of time. Much simpler not to get involved. 

Didn't run today. Working yesterday and trying to get report written-up today and house approximately tidy prior to my brother's arrival tomorrow. Fortunately he is not very fussy, and as long as he has a bed to sleep in and we've got a few bottles of wine in stock, he'll be happy.

06/10/2012 at 14:42

Afternoon all,

The sun is out and so am I, although not at the moment   There's a plant fair on at Great Dixter which I usually support but I've got so much planting to do I can't spare the time.

Had a good run this morning. 4.5 miles of fartleking.  I hadn't intended that but people were out and about and ready for a chat so I used the breaks (4 in total) to recover.  I really pushed and got sub 8 min miling but boy was my breathing noisy!

Thanks for your comments on the horticultural committee proposal.  I have decided not to do it as I'm already on 2 different steering groups for Alzheimer's/NHS institute for health research so I reckon I've got enough on my plate already.  Plus I've been asked to join another one by DeNDRoN who are setting up a register of dementia patients and their carers who would like to take part research.

JJ, hope your daughter gives birth soon and that both mum and baby are well. 4-5 hours for a meeting?  Good grief!

Have a lovely weekend everyone 

Edited: 06/10/2012 at 14:44
06/10/2012 at 15:59

Red, well done on your sub 8 minute miling. Hopefully, your fitness is coming back!

A so called rest day today, but as it has been bright and sunny, I just couldn't stay indoors. I have, therefore, been busy in the garden, digging, edging and spiking the lawn. I will probably ache all over in the morning, and have an 8 mile forest run scheduled with some other club runners. The Solent Half is next Sunday, so I must keep out of the garden, and channel all my energy into the race.

Looking forward to Strictly Come Dancing again this evening. Last night, Victoria Pendleton came last, but I'm sure she will do well as the weeks go by. She has said that her thighs, which she spent years building up, have nearly disappeared since she quit cycling. That is probably why she is having problems with keeping in step, and her posture. She was very nervous, and is obviously under a lot of pressure. I think poor old Brucie is well and truly past it now, and should make this his last series.

06/10/2012 at 21:30

Redhead, you are looking as though you are well prepared for Beachy Head Mara.

I've a bit of work to do to catch up for Brighton, however, today in the lovely sunshine put in my longest run since i ran London in April 2011, which probably explains why i'm so lardy these days. 

I struggled to complete  9 miles in 1-54-57, from mile 5, i was running on empty, the stamina levels have long since gone, but i'm working on it, the only positive thing i could conclude from the effort i put in was that i did'nt give in. It was an out and back run so once i was out there i had to get back.  

07/10/2012 at 08:09

OT, well done on your 9 miler! You've got the right attitude and if you keep up the good work, will do well at Brighton.

A nice bright morning but very cold, just 2 deg. Will be off soon for an 8 miler in the forest with some club mates. Hope there aren't too many fog patches, as they tend to lay low in the forest.

Have just been watching the London 2012 Triathlon, and it has put me in the right frame of mind to run

07/10/2012 at 16:40

Afternoon all,

I am officially cream-crackered!  Apparently I can't do a 10 mile xc run and then heavy digging in the garden all afternoon any more.  I cam getting old! 

My run this morning was a struggle, largely because I chose to go across the fields and along the riverbank.  On reflection this was ill-advised given the amount of rain we've had recently.  I squelched through fields of grass, struggled across ploughed fields with mud caked to my shoes and weighing a ton, waded through the water where the river had burst its banks and tried to circumnavigate the deep mud on the few footpaths that were passable!  There was a lot of walking and it took me 2 1/4 hours.

OT, I feel your pain but at least you kept going and finished your run.  Plenty of time to get your stamina levels up again.

TE, hope your run was pleasant.  We had some frost on the shady areas of grass this morning and it was jolly cold when I went out to the horses first thing.

07/10/2012 at 18:02

OT - were you really running on empty? - had you had breakfast?

Red - not surprised you were cream-crackered, trying to do heavy digging after you'd already done 10k heavy mud-carrying at foot level.

I had a lovely run this morning, though it was indeed cold and I was glad I'd worn gloves. 4.18 miles. Just misty enough to be magical, with the sun half-breaking through, a pale disc up there somewhere.

07/10/2012 at 18:36

Red, there is no way that I would attempt heavy digging after a tough muddy run. There were 3 of us on this mornings forest run, and we ran 10 miles, instead of the planned 8. It was bright and sunny, and after a very cold start, warmed up. The terrain was equally tough with deep mud, deep pools, squelchy grass etc. We also had to walk in many places.

Columba, I also wore gloves this morning, although after a while, didn't need them.

07/10/2012 at 21:25

Difficult weekend. Daughter went into labour Saturday morning. Finally had a daughter (8lbs 6oz) by caesarian section at 5:00pm today. Fortunately, according to son-in-law, all now seems well other than exhaustion. So we now have a new grandaughter, Emilia Grace.

Didn't run XC on Saturday in view of events and a cold. Time for another celebratory glass.
JJ

07/10/2012 at 21:48

JJ, congratulations, the cost of your Christmasses has just gone up !

Columba, i did in fact have breakfast, but the only regular running i have done is 4 and 5 miles, so to step up and push on further, particularly when i'm carrying a least a stone more than i would ideally like to, the stamina ain't there, yet !

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.