'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

161,781 to 161,800 of 166,734 messages
04/11/2012 at 19:08

Masses of overnight rain here which continued well into this morning. Lots of standing water in the fields and the Medway is a raging muddy torrent right at thee top of its banks. Won't be long before it floods.

TE
Not a bad result given the wrecked calf. Hope you didn't make the injury too severe by carrying on.
JJ

04/11/2012 at 19:17

JJ thanks. I will rest it for a few days. You will be interested to know that the first male 70 was 1.13.08. More later.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
04/11/2012 at 20:25

Redhead, I sympathize - I too am lurgified. My assistant had a bad cold last week and I came down with it on Friday - If my legs could only run as fast as my nose I'd be Olympic and world champ! I've been taking DayMed capsules and today my nose isn't running any more, but it's totally blocked so I can't breathe properly. John hasn't shown any signs of it yet but I'm guessing it's only a matter of time. Hope you and Mike are feeling a bit better now.

TE  - well done anyway to finish the race. 1st M70 in 1:13???? That's a stonking good time for 10 miles - is he well known in your area?

04/11/2012 at 21:05

BIW, thanks. The 70 year old is not local, his name is John Gardener and his Club is Pembroke.

Red, the weather has been ghastly here also. A full write up of my race will be tomorrow, as I am suffering from racing 10 miles "on one leg."

05/11/2012 at 09:17

Morning all,

Hurrah, I'm virtually lurgy-free (just a bit chesty still).  Poor Mike is still suffering though.

TE, well, a time like that with a sore calf and coming in 4th V65 is pretty darned brilliant in my book!  Hats off to the M70 but of course you will have to beat him next time   Hope your calk isn't as sore today.

IW, hope your lurgy clears quickly and that JOhn doesn't succomb, although it is probably inevitable that he gets it too.

JJ, the ground here is sodden.  I'm not looking forward to the winter months if we get much more of this as the fields will be trashed.

We're still waiting for DEFRA to contact us about the latest tree problems - an infection in Ash trees, in case you haven't heard.  We already have to watch out for signs of infection in Oak (of which we have many) & Chestnut trees (only a few) but now the poor Ash trees (again, we have many) have got a similar problem and there have been outbreaks in Kent, the county next to us.  I dread to think what our hedgerows and woodland would look like if they all have to be destroyed as in the case of Dutch Elm disease   

At the moment they are saying that the cost of felling and removal must be met by the landowner which works out around at least £1000 per tree.  A quick glance out of the window and I can count 15 Ash trees without trying too hard, yikes!  The problem is that if they don't offer any compensation then people will be discouraged from reporting it.  I expect this is going to be in the News for some time.

mcs
05/11/2012 at 10:27

Sad to hear the Ash story Redhead, I have a friend who is a tree surgeon as is my son in law they are going to be very busy......
Just back from the lakes and catching up. NIce running TE hope the calf recovers.
Entered 26.2 but probably too old for that now.....
Had a great time up the Lakes, did Scafell Pike and Great Gable and had rain, snow and hail amongst beautiful colours and thankfully we were in a pod, unlike the daughter and hubby in a tent, it rained and rained every night though we managed to get up the mountains in dry weather before snow on the tops forced us off quickly having reached the tops. It was a compass reading and get off quick on Scafell Pike as our tracks were being covered very quickly.
Six miler to work in lovely sunshine though cold this morning. TIme to do some work. Have a happy week all.

05/11/2012 at 10:55

MCS, sounds wonderful - I love the lakes, one of my favourite parts of England.

Good to hear you're feeling better Redhead. I'm now using Japanese mint oil to clear my head,seems to be working. As luck would have it, I'm on holiday from work this week, need to get better in a hurry so I can enjoy my time off! John is working about 400km away this week and the dogs are both fast asleep after their morning play time - I think I shall have a good long soak in a hot scented bubble bath, doesn't that sound nice? Probably a bit too early though to be really decadent and take a glass of wine with me........

05/11/2012 at 11:17

Thanks everyone for your kind comments, which are much appreciated. As promised, here is a fuller write up of my race. Owing to torrential rain Saturday night, it was touch and go whether the race would go ahead, owing to extensive flooding of roads on the route. Some of the flooded areas were 50 metres or more, and ankle deep. Thankfully the race went ahead, and I car shared with two club mates to the venue. Car parking was at the new Ordnance Survey premises, with a 15 minute walk to the new Oasis Academy to collect our race numbers. We walked back to the car to pick up our bags, and walked back to the Academy to pin on our numbers and change into our race gear. It was then a two minute walk to the race start, and it was still raining heavily. My calf had been no problem with all the walking, and I set off running easily at around 7.30 pace. It was too good to be true, and at about 1/2 mile, my right calf felt as if it had been hit by a cricket ball. I had to stop, and when the other two came by I said that I would probably give up and walk back to the finish. I then, probably foolishly, decided to carry on and caught them up. We ran together until just after 2 miles, when I started to slow badly, and they went ahead and vanished into the distance. I struggled along, being overtaken by runner after runner. I was wading through ankle deep, freezing cold water, wary of the hidden potholes, and cursing ignorant car drivers going to fast through the water, causing waves. As I approached half way, I decided to ignore the pain and dig in to attempt to catch my colleagues. They must have been a very long way ahead, as no matter how hard I was running, they were nowhere to be seen. Eventually, at around 8 miles, I saw them in the distance in the Industrial Estate, and this gave me the incentive to dig in even harder to try and catch them. I caught one of them with about 400 metres to go, and the other just beat me by a couple of steps. Another few metres and I would have caught her. My splits were :- 8.59 9.02 9.28 9.35 8.41 8.30 8.47 8.29 8.19 7.31. A negative split of 4.09 minutes.

mcs
05/11/2012 at 12:08

Well done TE. I have had a calf pull it feels like you have been shot in the leg or hit by a cricket ball as you describe it, I did mine last May playing footie and thought someone had kicked me in the calf. HObbled for a few days, you did amazingly to finish hope no long term injury result. Rest up this week. All the best.

05/11/2012 at 14:44

MCS, thanks. I don't think I have done any long term damage, as the calf isn't too painful, and just gives nasty twinges now and again. I will certainly have a few rest days to help the recovery.

05/11/2012 at 16:30

Oooh, I love your negative split!  Ice and rest should sort you out.

Mcs, tree surgery is a good business to be in at the moment.  We're keeping our fingers crossed that our trees are OK but apparently it's a wind-borne pathogen so we can't be certain yet.  The colours in the Lakes must have been beautiful.  Rain is almost a given at this time of year I suppose.

I shall be out for  a plod tomorrow 

05/11/2012 at 20:49

Red - I had heard of the problem with ash trees on the BBC news, - it sounds quite dire. We lost all our elms to Dutch Elm disease, and now this.

BIW - there are few things so pleasurably decadent as soaking in a scented bath with a glass of wine to hand! But as you say,  11.00 a.m. is a bit early for wine. You could have just stayed in the bath until it was late enough?

TE - full marks for determination and fortitude, and I hope the calf recovers quickly.

No rain here today. Sunny but cold. Will almost certainly freeze overnight.

Been swimming.

05/11/2012 at 21:35

Thanks Red and Columba. Once I had got it into my mind that I was going to complete the race, nothing was going to stop me. I am just so disappointed that I should get this injury, soon after the hamstring problem had been cured. I had trained so hard for this race, and had intended to race it from the start, with a target time of 80 minutes.

I was feeling quite depressed, until I thought about all the elite athletes who inevitably suffer injuries and bounce back to achieve their goals. Not that in any way I am comparing myself with them, but my goals are as important to me, as theirs are to them.

Thanfully, the calf is nowhere near as painful today as I thought it would be, so I hope it won't be too long before I am back in training again.

06/11/2012 at 08:43

Rest and recover well TE, you'll be back on track before you know it

06/11/2012 at 09:36

Morning all,

Glorious morning here but rain for this afternoon so I've been our doing outdoorsy things since first light.  Run will be after lunch.

TE, we all have our goals which are just as important as those of the elite athletes.  Hope you recover quickly.

IW, how's the lurgy this morning?

06/11/2012 at 09:52

Much better thanks - did a 2000m pre-brekkie easy swim and as usual found the chlorine in the pool cleaned up my breathing. (Our pool opens 2 mornings a week at 06.45 for early birds).

The council made an appointment to change our water meter and the two mechanics were astonished at the low reading. One asked how many people live in the house, I said 2 and 2 dogs, why? He said because the usage is very low. See that big blue water butt in the corner, sez I, that's where the waste water from the washing machine goes, not down the drain. We save water wherever possible, washing-up water etc. goes into buckets which we use to water plants, wash the patio etc. We've saved a lot of dosh on our water bills over the past few years. They were suitably impressed.

06/11/2012 at 11:44

Thanks BIW  and Red. Today is bright and sunny and it is frustrating not to be going to the club this evening, but I'm boringly more sensible these days. I will be patient  and take things a day at a time.

Red, you must be feeling better as you intend going out for a run today, and BIW, good that you were able to go swimming.

I had a water meter installed a few months ago, and when I received my first metered bill, was amazed to find that I was £7 in credit.

06/11/2012 at 16:13

Got a bit of a sore throat today, so shan't risk going out in the rain with the running club, especially as I'm going away tomorrow and the last thing I want is to develop a proper cold.

I'm going to the Holy Land, - this is an official pilgrimage, busy itinerary, lot of walking expected so unlikely to spend any time on the internet. 5 days based in Bethlehem, then 2 days based in Tiberias. Visits to Jerusalem, boat trip across the Sea of Galilee, visit to the Dead Sea (taking cossie in hopes there will be time allowed to wade in and bob around a bit). Back on 17th

mcs
06/11/2012 at 16:54

Time to head off into the dark with head torch on in the wind and run, joy!!!

06/11/2012 at 19:31

Out for an hour's walk run with the doodle this morning. It was very frosty.

TE
In spite of what the experts say about avoiding injuries it's almost impossible to avoid them from time to time if you train and race hard. This is especially true as we get older. It's nothing to be depressed about. It just has to be managed sensibly.

I ran 1:17 at age 65 so I guess anything near 1:13 at 70+ would be unlikely.

IW
I'm sure you'll bounce back quickly.

Redhead
I haven't forgotten your training schedule.
JJ

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.