'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

161,801 to 161,820 of 165,813 messages
06/11/2012 at 11:44

Thanks BIW  and Red. Today is bright and sunny and it is frustrating not to be going to the club this evening, but I'm boringly more sensible these days. I will be patient  and take things a day at a time.

Red, you must be feeling better as you intend going out for a run today, and BIW, good that you were able to go swimming.

I had a water meter installed a few months ago, and when I received my first metered bill, was amazed to find that I was £7 in credit.

06/11/2012 at 16:13

Got a bit of a sore throat today, so shan't risk going out in the rain with the running club, especially as I'm going away tomorrow and the last thing I want is to develop a proper cold.

I'm going to the Holy Land, - this is an official pilgrimage, busy itinerary, lot of walking expected so unlikely to spend any time on the internet. 5 days based in Bethlehem, then 2 days based in Tiberias. Visits to Jerusalem, boat trip across the Sea of Galilee, visit to the Dead Sea (taking cossie in hopes there will be time allowed to wade in and bob around a bit). Back on 17th

mcs
06/11/2012 at 16:54

Time to head off into the dark with head torch on in the wind and run, joy!!!

06/11/2012 at 19:31

Out for an hour's walk run with the doodle this morning. It was very frosty.

TE
In spite of what the experts say about avoiding injuries it's almost impossible to avoid them from time to time if you train and race hard. This is especially true as we get older. It's nothing to be depressed about. It just has to be managed sensibly.

I ran 1:17 at age 65 so I guess anything near 1:13 at 70+ would be unlikely.

IW
I'm sure you'll bounce back quickly.

Redhead
I haven't forgotten your training schedule.
JJ

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
07/11/2012 at 09:12

Last night at dog club, the new couple who joined us a couple of weeks ago said they know Charly's dad's owner, they had mentioned to her that I have one of Aaron's pups and she is interested to come to the club and see him - she kept another of the pups from that litter. In reply I said I want to see Aaron, I have photos of him from t-internet but it would be nice to meet him.

07/11/2012 at 09:46

Morning all,

Beautiful day here; perfect for a pootle later  

JJ, thanks xxx

Columba, how exciting.  Have  a safe journey and wonderful trip.

IW, how lovely.  I wonder if there will be a connection when the 2 of them meet?

07/11/2012 at 14:06

JJ, 1.17 at 65 for a 10 miler is very impressive. 1.13 at 70 is certainly not a time I envisage being able to attain at 70.

MCS, hope you enjoyed your run in the dark with a head torch.

Columba, if you read this before your trip, I hope you have a wonderful time.

No running again today, but I am looking forward to Sunday, when I will be doing my first stint as a race Marshall. I'm hoping to go for a jog on Monday, and if it goes ok, will go to Club session on Tuesday. I don't know whether I have already mentioned it, but the Club have organised a 10k handicap race in the forest, in December, and watches and Garmin's will be forbidden. I don't expect there will be any k markers either, so it will make pace judgement very difficult. It will be interesting to see whether race times turn out to be quicker, than when wearing devices that measure pace and distance.

07/11/2012 at 16:48

Marshalling sounds fun TE!  I like the idea of running without Garmins or watches.  I always enjoy my xc runs more when I ditch my Garmin and just enjoy running.

07/11/2012 at 20:27

Envious of Columba's trip, it sounds wonderful.

Redhead - I doubt it, dogs don't normally recognise their offspring.

A colleague just sent me an article from another State nearby, where some local busybodies from the council have banned all swimmers in their pool from swimming crawl, backstroke or fly, they may only do breaststroke. Seems there has been quite an outcry over the new rules - there are many elderly swimmers who spend most of their time sculling on their backs. Oh how glad I am that our pool has no such silly rules. The two end lanes are reserved for "sport swimmers" - all swim up one lane and return down the other, nobody gets in the way and everyone's happy.

07/11/2012 at 21:03

'lo all. Nice dry day today. very unusual.
Run/walk done  for just over 5 miles.

IW
Are you sure you don't live in Switzerland? They like rules and procedures.

TE
Hope it stays dry for the marshalling. Standing in the cold  rain is not fun.
I  reckon it's perfectly possible to race up to 10k without any form of timepiece. It can be done on perceived effort from breathing levels. You need to be a lot out of breath from start to finish and just below lactate threshold. 10 miles and upwards have a large endurance content and keeping to a specific pace is helpful in keeping something back for later use so a timing device has its place.
JJ

08/11/2012 at 07:31

JJ - I wouldn't be accepted to live in "der Schweiz", I don't have enough money!

08/11/2012 at 16:41

Afternoon peeps,

Lovely day here, too nice to be inside so I've been playing out all day - with a run included.

IW, what a ridiculous rule!

08/11/2012 at 21:36

BIW, sounds like health and safety gone mad!

JJ, the forecast for Sunday is bright and sunny, but cold. I will, therefore, ensure that I wrap up warm. A good tip for the 10k thanks.

Red, hope you enjoyed your run.

My calf has been feeling much better today, but I still intend "resting" until Monday. My car is having an MoT on Monday, so I gave it a good clean inside and out this afternoon, and have checked tyre pressures, lights, screen wash etc. They will still find something though.

08/11/2012 at 21:47

Did a 4 miler today off road starting from the footpath (Weald Way) that starts opposite my cave in the hillside. That makes it a two day streak.

TE
It won't be anything that money can't cure.

IW
I used to go to Geneva on business from time to time. All the expats that worked there lived over the border in France and commuted each day. France had much less in the way of petty restrictions.

JJ

09/11/2012 at 09:59

Morning all,

No running today but it looks as if I shall be getting wet on my run tomorrow.  Don't care 

TE, glad to hear your calf is feeling better.

I'm wondering if I can be bothered to do the Xmas Pudding Dash this year.  Not sure I'm in the mood for it for some reason.  How about you JJ?

Have a lovely weekend everyone.

mcs
09/11/2012 at 13:07

Two mad days out of the office in the cold, glad to be back inside and ready to run home after a very large jacket spud, roll on four oclock please, bring on the weekend. Have fun to any who are venturing out to stave off the cobwebs......

09/11/2012 at 13:57

Red, thanks. I have been doing some fast walking, with hardly a twinge, so I am now feeling more confident.

TOTP again!

Edited: 09/11/2012 at 13:57
09/11/2012 at 18:30

Did some heavy cross training in the garden barrowing compost around and spreading it on the garden.

Redhead
Won't be racing again this year. I need a lot of training first. Ceal Morrison has moved to E.Grinstead and is running the Xmas Pud Dash.She's 70+ and I bet she's in the top 6 women.
JJ

10/11/2012 at 11:02

JJ, gardening is excellent cross training, but care is needed not to strain ones back.

I have been doing stretching and core work whilst not running, and intend to make it a regular habit. I have a 1.5 mile walk (possible jog) there and back to Sundays race where I am marshalling, so that should give me a good idea as to whether I should start running again on Monday. The calf no longer feels painful to the touch, so that is a good sign.

10/11/2012 at 12:23

Afternoon all,

It's wet!  I've been wet, dry, wet, dry, wet, dry so far today with plenty more hours to repeat the sequence   My bones don't like this wet and cold weather that's for sure!

JJ, EGrinstead's quite a way from Ashburnham isn't it?  Ceal must be about 72/3 now isn't she?  I still don't think I can be bothered with it this year as I don't feel that I need another medal for a 5 miler and I don't feel like dressing up - OMG, what's the matter with me, I always like dressing up?!

TE, glad to hear your calf is feeling better.  Enjoy your marshalling duties.

Mcs, did you actually enter the 26.2 thing for next year?

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.