'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

161,821 to 161,840 of 167,298 messages
11/11/2012 at 15:37

hello everyone, this is first time on this thread, been running for a good few years but its taken a back seat last few years due to long hours at work, i'm only doing around 4 -5 miles a few times a week, i had a place in London marathon 2 years ago but got injured and deferred to last year and got injured again, now i have a place via a charity close to but as you could imagine i am nervous about upping the training, any help would be appreciated,

11/11/2012 at 16:54

Afternoon all,

What a glorious day here!  It was frosty first thing but I ran in my vest and shorts this afternoon it was so warm 

Hi Sarnie and welcome to the thread!  Sorry to hear you've had injury problems but I'm sure you'll get to VLM in 2013 if you are careful with your training.  Have you chosen a plan to follow yet?  What sort of time are you hoping for?  What's your time for a 1/2?  So exactly how many runs are you doing each week?  What's your current weekly mileage?  Questions, questions, sorry, it's just that it helps to know your background when proffering advice.

TE, glad you enjoyed being a marshall.  I hope lots of runners thanked you as they sped past.

JJ, I've got a whole load of compost to shift still if you'd like to pop round and help 

11/11/2012 at 18:01

Spent yesterday with 5 week old grandaughter. She's a real stunner and even slept on my lap all through the rugby on TV. How considerate is that?

Ran 4.2 of the muddiest miles I've done in a very long time. Slow but very hard work.
Had to hose down the tracksters below the knee. Threw away the objectionable socks. Hosed my trail shoes inside and outside. Disgusting really

Redhead
Moving 10 barrowloads a day is a brilliant form of cross training.

sarnie
Welcome. I had a similar injury experience training for VLM in 2011. My training was on schedule for a sub-4 run to celebrate reaching 70 but I pulled a hamstring 3 weeks before the race and couldn't run.
 If you've been keeping fairly fit with 2 or 3 runs a week you will be fine to
start a marathon program. Plan to do 300-400 miles of steady runs to build a solid aerobic base then follow a 16 week training plan to get you the time you want to aim for. I'm not a fan of too many very long runs. The emphasis should be on quality training, particularly tempo runs. Incorporate a couple of 1/2m races as part of the training.
Give us a clue about the sort of time you would be looking for.
JJ

11/11/2012 at 19:08

Welcome to the thread sarnie and good luck with your training. Injuries are inevitable, especially as we age, and this year I have suffered a hamstring and then calf pull.

Red, thanks, it felt good to be putting something back into the sport I love. I was pleased to get lots of "thank you marshall," which made it all seem worthwhile. I especially encouraged the tail enders, some of whom were walking, and it was great seeing their appreciation and breaking into a jog. The "sweeper" was a 70 year old lady club runner, who ensured that nobody was left behind.

JJ, good that you are getting back into your running again. I'm sure, after Christmas, you will be back in serious training again?

11/11/2012 at 19:56

evening people

thanks for your warm welcome

redhead with answer to your questions, i have no schedule to follow as yet, my time for half was around 2.15, my weekly mileage is only around 20miles a week but now i have a reason to train and will be upping distance, at the moment 4 miles is a very easy run for me,

Is it best to run 4-5 miles every other day or do 3 miles every day and build the distance from that,

Johnny J

firstly may i say that you are amazing with the fitness level that you maintain, i have 2 half marathons after xmas, silverstone and reading in march and would love to get under 2.10, as for 300 -400 miles of just steady running i never thought of that, good idea

11/11/2012 at 21:21

TE
I hope to be back in reasonable training before the year end but I'm not worried if it takes a bit longer.

sarnie
I'm not at all fit at the moment and a great deal overweight. I've had most of this year doing very, very little and now I'm 70+ it's difficult to find a training pattern that works because there's very little info around on maximising training at that age. The only certainty is that if I try to do a hard run it takes days to get over it.

Go for  4-5 milers  and build on that rather than 3 miles a day.You need recovery time. It works like this. You run, you cause micro damage to muscle fibres. Your body thinks that what caused the damage is going to become the norm so it repairs the damaged  fibres a little bit stronger when you rest. Note that it's when you rest you get stronger!
Half marathons are quite difficult to train for. It's a speed/endurance combination that's needed whereas 10k is speed and a marathon is endurance.

If you are interested mail me with the number of days you are likely to train and I'll give you some guidance on runs that will give you a good chance of getting under 2:10.
JJ

11/11/2012 at 21:34

JJ

thanks so much, i will e-mail you

12/11/2012 at 08:53

A dark, miserable morning, quite a contrast to yesterdays bright and sunny. My car has just been collected to have its MoT. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that there won't be any expensive jobs that need doing.

mcs
12/11/2012 at 10:21

Had a nice sunrise watching run yesterday 7.5 miles in just over an hour through the tunnels on the Monsal Head. Rabbits, heron and ducks amongst other spots and no humans, it was early!!  Drissly here. WELCOME sarnie I am new on here too. Still wanting to go sub four hours for a marathon, though I have a 1.42 half this year so getting there slowly. I have done over 1200 miles so far this year in training and had a relatively injury free year.......its about going steady and slowly building things up. Anything over about 40 miles and I start to have niggles especially in my back. Take it steady but do start now to get going. There are some good schedules out there but dont be afraid to adjust for you what is your breakdown threashold.  Some of the long runs toward the end of the marathon training can be reduced if you are injury prone. Sam Murphy and Liz Yelling both told me that over the last couple of years while chatting on other forums on RW. They should know. Its certainly helped me to get nearer to my targets without getting injured. All the best.

12/11/2012 at 10:54

mcs

thanks hun for the advice, it certainly seems good advice, am recovering from a chest infection but after talking to you guys i am looking forward to the training, i have forgotten how much being on RW forum is good motivation, 

Terence 

good luck with the MOT, it's not good having it done so close to xmas, fingers crossed for you

12/11/2012 at 13:24

Afternoon all,

No run day.  Been filming an interview for ARUK's annual review and feeling drained now.  Need cake!

Sarnie, JJ's a good Coach   I have a base of 30 miles a week and rarely go below that, then I build in more long runs as I get near to a marathon.  Please make sure your chest is better before you run again.  Good luck.

TE, I'm glad that runners thanked you.  being a back-of-packer I always thank them as they have to stand around for such a long time waiting for the likes of me!

mcs
12/11/2012 at 13:32

Cake sounds good Redhead you deserve it enjoy!!! Just going to indulge in a snickers bar. Got a cold sore so reckon I need building up!!! Thats my excuse anyway and yes I did apply for Asics 26.2........wont be waiting expectantly for an email from RW Towers..........reckon over a certain age they dont want......the younger whipper snappers are better for the pictures and videos in the mag I would guess.

12/11/2012 at 14:01
Redhead wrote (see)

Hi Frog, we are honoured to see you again.  How the Womble?

Womble well, thank you, but running only indoors on treadmill at the moment

Johnny J wrote (see)

If you've been keeping fairly fit with 2 or 3 runs a week you will be fine to
start a marathon program. Plan to do 300-400 miles of steady runs to build a solid aerobic base then follow a 16 week training plan to get you the time you want to aim for. I'm not a fan of too many very long runs. The emphasis should be on quality training, particularly tempo runs. Incorporate a couple of 1/2m races as part of the training.
Give us a clue about the sort of time you would be looking for.

Noted, although you weren't talking to me.

I basically did no running at all in August and September owing to tendinitis, had lots of physio and ultrasound. I am now back up to running three or four times a week, typically say 20 to 25 miles a week, (eg a 4, a 7, and a 12), paying no attention to speed, just getting used to running again. Just getting back out there was the first goal, and has been accomplished.

In my dreams I'd like to go sub 4 at VLM.

12/11/2012 at 14:21

Red and Sarnie, thanks. I've just had a phone call and my car has passed its MoT

MF, good news that you are back into your running again.

I didn't run today, as I had quite a good work out yesterday, wading through the mud etc. I did, however, walk a brisk mile this morning, and intend doing tomorrows club session. We had an excellent turn out for our race of 88 men and 65 women, a total of 153. This was a big field for a race which is only open to club runners.

12/11/2012 at 15:53

Being a v60 now I often wonder why there are so few v60’s around. After all, those who came into running during the marathon boom of the late seventies and early eighties should be flooding this category.

They can’t all be injured and it is still a bit young to be crocked by age.

Not very scientific but I had a look at some figures from a few races. Looking at those who run in the m40-m45 cat, almost half will half stopped running 10 k’s by the time they are in the m50-m55 category and about 80 %  will have stopped doing 10k’s by the time they reach the m60-m65 category.

While times obviously slow with age, I thought I would look at age grading on these. The theory with age grading is that it allows for ageing and pretty much stays the same as you get older.

The age grading average score actually went up as people went through the cats which kind of says that the faster runners keep on running while the slower runners stop running.

Is it just that when the speed drops below a certain level, people stop running ?

Or is it that for many the motivation for running is chasing those PB’s and when these are no longer possibilities is there no other motivation to run ?

12/11/2012 at 22:36

Did a 4.2 mile mud run yesterday and legs were too stiff today to risk another run.

Redhead
I like cake!

Derek
There are plenty of M60s around here. Certainly enough to make some good competition.
I think all the reasons you list are contributors to quite a big reduction. Generally the M60s are club runners. Club spirit and having running friends and understanding age grading keeps them going.  
Most guys don't understand the age grading system. They see themselves getting slower and they can't do high mileage any more because they can't recover quickly enough.  What they have to do is to train hard for an M60, get an M60 age grading, and compare that with their M50 age grade instead of comparing absolute times.
JJ

13/11/2012 at 09:24

Morning all,

Off for a plod soon and it isn't raining for a change although it is rather dreary.

Derek, I see plenty of V60s in races and they're either ahead of me or running past me.  We have some very speedy over 60s on the RW forums and on this thread JJ and TE are speed monsters 

13/11/2012 at 11:22

Hi Derek and welcome to the thread. I agree with JJ and Red that there are still plenty of V60s racing, and that category is very competitive. It is also correct that most are club runners, who have been racing for many years and gone up through the age categories. I believe that is why the standard is so high, as we were racing in our 40s when the standard was much higher than today's. I am now in the 65-70 category and unfortunately, all those that I have raced against in my forties and fifties seem to have stopped, as I no longer see them in races. This does seem to contradict my statement that there are still plenty racing, and I do wonder whether some  started racing later in life, or perhaps I hadn't noticed them in the past as they had finished further back in the field. I am a great fan of the age grading formulae, as it enables me to compare my times, converted to a seniors time. I hope you will continue to contribute to this thread and keep running and racing.

I'm intending to go to the club session this evening, but will take it easy, as I don't want the calf to pull again.

mcs
13/11/2012 at 11:24

Three last night, though most annoyed that just half a mile from the office the headtorch rechargeable batteries packed up......running on a trail in the dark is not fun!!!
Did 4 miles this am to work, 8.25 warm up then 7.37-  7.18-  7.54 then staggered into the office.......speediest for some time. Trying to get some speed in the legs after too much plodding the last few weeks.

13/11/2012 at 11:43

Well I am in a funny position. I started doing a seriesof races this year - the Halewood 5k. Because I liked the race so much I ended up joining the club who put it on ( Knowsley Harriers ) a couple of months back after thirty odd years of writing 'unattached'. The things is I am the only v60 there so every time I line up for a new distance I set a new club v60 record. While I have always been a plodder, after the achiles blew up in June, I am currently a seriously slow plodder.

So on the one hand I am the v60 who is still running and who joined the club.. On the other hand, even for me, the times are seriously slow. So i keep flipping between 'this feels good' and 'this is embarassing'.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.