'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

161,841 to 161,860 of 167,002 messages
13/11/2012 at 15:14

LOL Derek, it's certainly not embarrassing that you still run in your 60s!  I bet you're still faster than me anyway.  Are you in Scouseland then?  My friend lives in Knowsley village and I used to live and work in Liverpool many years ago.

Mark, well done.  I've got to start my speedwork schedule next month but November is my recovery month.  Are you going to try to beat 4 hours next year?

13/11/2012 at 16:38

MCS, three sub 8 minute miles following your warm up mile is very impressive.

Edited: 13/11/2012 at 16:38
mcs
13/11/2012 at 16:52

Time to don  the head torch and jog home, not speeding home though..............

13/11/2012 at 18:25

Best comeback run so far .Did a 4.7 mile trail run which wasn't too bad underfoot and still felt reasonably strong at the finish. There's hope for me yet.

Redhead
I ain't at all speedy. I have a feeling I won't see 7 minute miling again at my age except for short intervals.
JJ

13/11/2012 at 20:49

evening people

Hope you are all well

mcs very impressive sub 8 mins, what head torch do you recomend cause i want to do trail running but no idea which is the best,

im hoping to get out at the weekend to start the slow training, chest infection is nearly gone and can't wait to get out there,

13/11/2012 at 21:39

sarnie
I lost my head torch. Bought a new one and got twofor the price of one from a BOGOF scheme. Inevitably the lost one then re-appeared so I now have three!.
get one that has AAA batteries. If you get one with a  "disk" type batteryit costs nearly as much as the torch to replace it.
Also try to get one with a headband that goes round and across the head. The ones with just a head band tend to slip down.
JJ

13/11/2012 at 22:02

JJ, sounds very encouraging, you are probably fitter than you thought.

Went to club session this evening and did 4 sets of 4 hill reps. with a jog recovery between sets. I didn't run as hard as I would normally, as I didn't want to injure the calf again. Thankfully, I had no problems and opted for the long run back. Total mileage was 6.6. I'm hoping to try out my new trail shoes tomorrow.

We've just heard that the pub  the club had booked for a Christmas Meal is shutting down at the weekend. We are now hoping that it's not too late to find another venue.

13/11/2012 at 23:37

You're right about the button-shaped batteries, those are flipping expensive.

My head torch has gone awol since the last house move.

14/11/2012 at 00:07
Still don't know how to do quotes on this ipad thing. Yes, the road to running recovery is paved with people trying to knock me off my bicycle. Not cycled since mid-August but doing lots of gym work - all cardio not weights. Bought a new hrm which is telling me what to do!
14/11/2012 at 00:12

Johnny J / Terence  Earney, I like the age graded too. I do the calculation on what times I could do at 35 and what times I can do now  (on a good day ) and see what the age grading throws up as a percentage. A 'run all day' pace of 8 minute mile at 35 seems to equate to a 9 minute 45 second pace at 60. How do you find the age graded formulas work for you ? Are they about right or do you find them pitched slightly high or slightly low ?

Redhead, Originally from N wales and I split my time between Liverpool and there nowadays. 42 years ago I came here to be a student for just the 3 years before going back.

I had a look at your page and that is very impressive with the number of marathons and the ultras even without the knitting - I dont even like carrying a bunch of keys when I run.

14/11/2012 at 09:36

Morning all,

It's a glorious sunny day here and I really want to run but am taking a rest day as I've had to jiggle my schedule this week.  I'd better do lots of muck shifting as cross-training instead 

Derek, thanks.  I ran the inaugural Liverpool marathon last year and it was wonderful to see all our old haunts again.  I love the idea of a "run all day" pace of 8 minute miling - I'd be happy to run that pace for 30 minutes!  

Actually, now I've said that I realise that's exactly what I'm going to have to train towards if I ever want to beat my 1/2 marathon pb 

Womble, hello there!  I'm trying to be firm and not do VLM next year as I didn't get in via the ballot.  How about you?

TE, shame about your club meal as it might be difficult finding an alternative at this late date.

mcs
14/11/2012 at 09:42

Will check my head torch and let you know what make it is. In the car today for work reasons and cant remember......go for one with the highest lumens you can afford. Mine runs on three AAA batteries and I have rechargeable ones they are working well now I have sussed the charger I bought. Think mine was about £45 and is very comfortable to wear, you can adjust the beam to broad or a spot light its very good.

mcs
14/11/2012 at 14:50

Laserlens is my head torch. My desk calendar appropriate for all today.

Ageing seems to be the only available way to live a long life!

14/11/2012 at 14:54

Ran in my new trail shoes this morning for the first time, and ran a steady 4 miles. I don't think they will be as efficent as my previous pair, as when I got home and examined the soles, they were full of mud. The previous pair had the rubber lugs further apart, and therefore the mud didn't stick between them.

mcs
14/11/2012 at 15:23

What shoes you got Terence? I have inov8s but fancy some new ones for next year and the coming muddy season.

14/11/2012 at 16:16

They are Salomon Trail Pro 5. My old pair are Salomon Speed Cross 2 and I have run 500 miles in them. The new model is Speed Cross 3.

14/11/2012 at 16:40
Hi Redhead! I didn't get into VLM and don't want to take a work place. Hoping to get back into marathoning next year. Perhaps I should say something like "Abingdon" or "New Forest"to make myself focus :-S
14/11/2012 at 18:46

cheers mcs for the advice, will start looking

15/11/2012 at 09:44

Morning all,

5.5 miles of hills today with a short break at the local pub to cast my vote for the Police Commissioner.

Womble, plenty of time to get back to marathon fitness then.  I'll be doing an autumn marathon but I haven't decided which one.  I quite fancy doing Liverpool again so I can visit old chums but there's always Beachy too..........

mcs
15/11/2012 at 10:33

3 mile jog to work this am. Head torch charged and ready for tonights plod home. Cold sores today not nice. Not had any for ages, must be bit run down........no marathon plans for next year though I did have a look at Berlin and Snowden looks nice but the weather could be horrendous in October round there......so not sure what I am going to do yet. There is a High Peak one near me in May as another option.......ho hum what shall I do.......so many races to do.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.