'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

161,861 to 161,880 of 167,311 messages
Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
15/11/2012 at 11:14

mcs - Berlin mara is wonderful, I've run it 5 times.  Can't do more than a half any more due to hip surgery, my marathon days are over. I tried to run Brighton last year prior to finding out what was wrong with me and it was a total disaster.  Don't put it off, you never know what's waiting around the bend!

Nice to hear from you again Womble.

15/11/2012 at 11:16

Red, I voted this morning and was the only one there, apart from the officials. I get the impression that there will be a very low turn out. Publicitity was very poor, although the local radio station did interview all the candidates. Candidates details were available on the internet, but a lot of potential voters don't have access, so probably won't bother.

Club night tonight is 5 figure of 8s, with 5k and 10k pace on each part of the loops.

mcs
15/11/2012 at 12:30

What election is that then? Not seen or heard a thing where I live.....

15/11/2012 at 14:31

Election for Police and Crime Commissioner. As far as I'm aware, these are taking place everywhere except London, where Boris Johnson holds this function as part of his London Mayor responsibilities.

mcs
15/11/2012 at 14:33

I was joking TE but have seriously not heard much about it round here at all.  Think its a waste of cash have the police headed up by a politician. WHats wrong with the Police guys just getting on with the job........why have someone paid for by us in charge, more expense......

15/11/2012 at 19:46

Police constables know all about policing but little about politics whereas the commissioner candidates seem to know all about politics but nothing about policing so not a supporter. Did have a look at the candidates just in case there was one standing on a platform of 'I will shut any streets down at any time of day a race organiser requests for no cost' but could not find one.

15/11/2012 at 21:02

We had a choice of 5 candidates for Police Commissioner of which only 2 were obviously political. You have to vote if you want the right to criticise
Very low turnout according to the official on duty.

Spent most of today at the local Merc dealer putting together a swap for our Merc for a more modern one. For some reason I just love screwing another yet another £50 out of a car dealer.

Redhead
Abingdon is the best Autumn marathon if you want a quick run.
JJ

15/11/2012 at 21:53

evening everyone

hope you are all well, 

well i went out for the first time in many weeks due to being poorly, have started a marathon plan which i had to run just 4 miles and it was one of the hardest runs i have done in ages but am focused and hopefully it will only take a few more runs to get back some sort of fitness, doing 3 miles on saturday and 6 on sunday with rest day monday, am happy to be back out there,  

it was a bit chilly this evening but i really do enjoy running in the cold, infact the colder the better

mcs
16/11/2012 at 09:41

Great running Sarnie you got out there thats the main thing. Start slowly and all will be fine............just signed up for the Grindleford Gallop near to me a 21 cross country, fell run with mega hills so really an early spring marathon so got to get stuck into the hills myself. Have a good weekend all. Time for a longer run me thinks.

16/11/2012 at 15:17

Afternoon all,

Been to see Skyfall at the local cinema.  Never seen a Bond movie at a cinema before and really enjoyed it.  No running today but will run tomorrow and Sunday.

Sarnie, well done on getting out there.  That's the hardest bit and your first run back after a break is always the hardest.

Mcs, is that 21 miles or kilometres?  Sounds fun whichever it is!

Have a lovely weekend everyone 

16/11/2012 at 15:50

The weather here is really the pits today. Dark, damp, foggy and irritating rain. I ran another 4 miles in my new trail shoes and they felt fine. It is irritating though, to have to scrape all the mud off the soles when I get indoors. Ran the 5 figure of eights at the club session last night, and the circuits were 0.71 mile. Thankfully, my calf caused no problems, so I was able to put more effort in. Our total mileage was 7.22, as we had a long warm up and warm down.

I found out today that the reason the pub we had booked for Christmas Dinner and Disco had closed was that it had been sold to make way for a block of flats. Another pub has recently been closed a few miles away, and that will be replaced by a Sainsbury Express.

Sarnie, good to hear that you are feeling better and getting back into training. Make sure that your build up is gradual, and don't expect to get back to your previous level of fitness too quickly.

MCS, a cross country fell run sounds challenging. If it is 21 miles, then it will be really tough, although 21k is tough enough!

Red, that Bond Film has had mixed reviews from the critics, but people that I know who have seen it, have all enjoyed it.

Edited: 16/11/2012 at 15:52
16/11/2012 at 18:51

Sneaked today's run up to 5 miles. All off road so quite muddy and lots of gates/stiles to negotiate so the pace was a bit slow at between 12 and 13 minute miling. I bet my shoes weighed about 1/2 a kilo each so it's good strength training.

Chairing the gardening association's annual general meeting this evening.

sarnie
Welcome back. Make it a steady restart.
JJ

17/11/2012 at 16:53

Evening all,

The weather forecasters got it wrong for today and it was mild and dry so plenty of time for gardening.  Did 5.5 miles of hills this morning.

Hope Columba's OK on her travels as the trouble in that area is not good.

JJ, I wasn't keen on Abingdon.  Great marshalls and a good place to meet up with chims but a boring route.

17/11/2012 at 22:39

Thank you Redhead, I am back safe and sound, - and, interestingly, the Israelis were anxious we should let people know that the situation is not nearly as severe as presented (and, they said, as habitually presented) by the world's press. Although a bomb went off in Tel Aviv the day before we drove there to get our plane home, we were in no way disrupted and security did not appear to be any higher than usual.

I had a lovely time. in spite of having a cold which was a niggly sore throat at the beginning of the week, then ran through all the usual symptoms as the week went by. No running (I hadn't expected to) but quite a bit of walking, including the last 2 km up Mout Tabor, which is pretty steep.  Went in the Dead Sea, but you couldn't call that swimming. Mostly I just lay on my back gazing up at the almost cloudless sky. Weird sensation. 

18/11/2012 at 08:08

Columba, glad that you got back home safely and enjoyed your holiday. Must have been a strange feeling floating in the Dead Sea.

Minus 2 deg. here, but already bright and sunny, with a high of 9 deg. forecast. Off for a 10 mile forest run soon, and will wrap up well. It is the Gosport Half Marathon today, and I would have been running it if I hadn't pulled my calf in the Lordshill 10 mile race two weeks ago. The course is flat and fast, so I didn't think it would be wise to partake.

18/11/2012 at 12:43

hello everyone

did a gentle 6 miles this morning, felt really good, the sun was outwhich made it lovely running over farmland, really didn't think i was gonna manage it condsidering how hard the 4 miles on thursday was, 

hope you are all well

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
18/11/2012 at 17:41

yes thanks! Busy Sunday as always - 2700m swim this morning, then a hike with the dogs. Coffee and cake this afternoon, dogs already fed, we are just about to sit down to a roast dinner and some nice wine. I did actually break into a jog for about 50 yards this afternoon and feeling no ill effects.

18/11/2012 at 17:43

'evening all
In Oxford all day yesterday at grandaughter's 9th birthday bash. Why are 10 x 9 year olds so knackering?
Mrs.JJ went to Oxford on Friday evening and had a blowout in the right rear tyre. She had a close call because it happened when she had been slowed to 10mph by an M25 traffic jam while minutes previously she had been doing 80mph! Someone is clearly looking after her.
Today's run was a fraction over 5 miles on the road. First road run for a very long time. It was extremely uncomfortable and unpleasant and yuk. Splits were:
9:38
9:42
9:51
9:56
10:40 included a bit of warming down.
Total for 5 miles was 49:47.
I guess I have to get rid of my 15lbs of excess baggage before I can hope to run quickly again.

Columba
Welcome back.
I reckon the Dead Sea is the only place I would stand a chance of swimming.
JJ

18/11/2012 at 19:16

JJ, you are on the come back trail. Mrs. JJ had a lucky escape!

Ran an easy pace 10 miles in the forest this morning, with two club runners. Ground still very muddy underfoot, and lots of wading through deep water.

18/11/2012 at 20:15

Evening all,

7 miles of hilliness along the lanes this morning.  Glorious day but quite cold first thing.

Columba, phew, I was worried about you 

JJ, I'd like your splits!  Mrs JJ did indeed have a lucky escape.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.