hello all

18/11/2012 at 20:24

Hi Mick
Still churning out the miles?
JJ

18/11/2012 at 20:28

Redhead
Useful 7 miles.
I would have liked those splits if they hadn't taken me a long way out of my comfort zone. It was something of a fitness check so I can assess which direction my training needs to go. I clearly need a lot more aerobic miles i.e base training.
JJ

18/11/2012 at 20:30

Hi JJ

trying yes

have been unwell and had a lobe removed from my lung, no running until end Decemeber

18/11/2012 at 22:13

Hi Mick, I know you from somewhere else.

Hi Sarnie, not sure that I know you but I didn't post while I was away, nor have I tried to catch up with the posts I've missed.

JJ - attempting to swim in the Dead Sea is probably not advisable. At least, not on your front. Any drop of the water in your eyes stings like anything, so best to stay on your back. Nothing at all lives in it, apart from one type of bacterium, we were told.

Went out for a little 3-mile toddle early this afternoon, just to make sure I hadn't forgotten how.  Working tomorrow, so the normal routine is about to hit me.

18/11/2012 at 22:30

Mick
Tough call. Bet Phil misses the excitement. Hope you get back into form eventually.
JJ

19/11/2012 at 12:45

Welcome to three people who have arrives since I last posted - mcs, sarnie & Derek.

I only started running at 50, and plan to continue as long as I can, as it is so nice just to be able to do it! I will never be fast, but I'm a lot faster than those sitting on the couch. We have a lot of runners in their sixties, and several in their seventies at our club, so even by club standards I'm outclassed! I now do some coaching and really enjoy helping people get started. I am lucky enough to live in the New Forest, so have beatiful scenery to get out in.

sarnie, I have a Petzl head torch which I am very pleased with. It takes AAA batteries which seem to last ages. It doesn't have a bamd over the top of the head, but I tend to wear a head-band to keep my ears warm, and it doesn't slip if on top of that.

I went to see Skyfall at the week-end too, Red, and enjoyed it a lot. The cinema has got very expensive though - I'm, always shocked on the rare occasions we go these days.

Glad you enjoyed our marshalling TE - I always like doing it, I must say. Bad news about your club Christmas Dinner venue. Not surprising in a way - we always tend to opt for a glass or two of wine at home, as it's so much cheaper, and they can't survive if most people go so rarely.

Lovely to hear from MikeF & Womble again.

Wishing you a speedy recovery Mick - as JJ says, I'm sure Phil will be missing the races.

19/11/2012 at 12:48

TE, my run yesterday was like yours, though only 7 miles. I managed to slip in some mud and go down on my hands and knees, but it was a soft if mucky landing! At least the waterlogged ground and puddles washed a lot of the mud off my shoes.

Glad you had an enjoyable trip Columba, and found things quieter than we might have been led to believe.

IW, that sounded a very satisfactory day!

mcs
19/11/2012 at 15:00

Get welll soon Mick.......not nice.......had a nice sunny but cold seven point 33 miles, never forget the points!!! in one hour yesterday while running to daughters for lunch, boy that was a good lunch and then had to earn it sealing the bath surround!!! Happy new week all. Love a bit of mud Diana..

19/11/2012 at 15:28

DianaD, yes, the Lordshill 10 Mile race was very enjoyable, despite me pulling my right calf at half a mile and running the rest in great pain. A shame about the flooded roads, but that didn't "dampen" our spirits. Car parking in the Ordnance Survey car park was a great improvement over the old Academy facilities, and the new Academy was excellent for collecting our numbers, baggage security, toilets etc. There were quite a few runners from my club and I'm sure we will all turn up next year for the 10k. Oh and yes, once again excellent marshalling, signage etc. I hope your runners were as impressed with our Solent Half Marathon.

I did a good pace 5 miles in the forest this morning and splits were 9.51, 9.01, 8.42, 8.50 8.43. I'm now hoping that my hamstring and calf injuries are in the past, and I can get down to some serious training.

19/11/2012 at 20:50

I did 2 races at the weekend, a parkrun on saturday and a 10 miler on sunday in Preston.

I really like the parkrun and the Halewood 5k round here which are both free saturday morning races. Four or five miles on the bike, race a 5k and then cycle back for breakfast. The nice thing about a 5k is that it doesn't really take anything out of you and you are good to go the next day.

The chuckle moment from Sunday's 10 miler was 3 runners running together side by side and no room get past. Anyway they bunched together to avoid a puddle and I thought 'puddle it is'. Just after I went past I heard one say to the other 'that wet me, did it wet you ?

19/11/2012 at 21:11

No running today. Legs are a bit tight after yesterday's road run in spite of stretches.

derek
Every time I've tried two races in one weekend I think I ended up injured.
Did you wet yourself in the puddle?
JJ

19/11/2012 at 21:29

Evening all,

Been a busy day but no running.

Derek, LOL at your puddle story.  I hate it when people run 3 or more abreast, especially on narrow pathways.

Mick, hope you recover quickly.  Easy, easy, easy xxx

Diana, there's a small cinema in a village nearby and it costs just £6 for the first film of the day.

I've got one more week of leisurely plodding before I start my prep for 2013.  Bring it on! 

19/11/2012 at 21:52

Anyone know an easy to use website design package? I want to play.

Redhead
I'm in much the same situation as you. Training is now directed at 2013.
JJ

19/11/2012 at 22:02

Derek, I just can't understand why some runners go out of their way to avoid puddles. Once you have got your feet wet, they can't get any wetter. Good for you, going straight through and splashing them.

20/11/2012 at 00:41

Terence, I did this 5 mile race a couple of years ago and it went from could get sunburn here to rain comeing down in javelins within 10 minutes of the start. There was one bit where it was totally flooded and there was no way of anyone avoiding running through 8 inches of water. On the bit after that, it made me smile to see people avoiding puddles when it did not really matter an ymore.

Redhead, the one that made me grrr was a santa dash I did last year, I know it is  not really a  race and only fun but when you see people start walking 4 abreast 100 yards in you think did you really need to line up at the front

JJ, Google do a free website hosting. It is a bit limited in what it can do but it costs nothing. I started doing the Halewood 5k race this year and because it was freeI  felt a bit guilty about just turrning up and running and thought I should offer to marshall but that would mean I would not be running so instead I did a results service for it. 

https://sites.google.com/site/halewood5kresultsservice/home

The data juggling bit is done outside using Microsoft Access and it creates the PDF's which are just attached to the website.

A good thing I like about google is their google analytics which tells you about visits to your site - one from Sydney, Germany, Saudi, Germany and two from Belgium amongst them so far ( ? ), It will also tell you how they have found the site - Runners world, google, club etc.. Good to play with

20/11/2012 at 09:16

Morning all,

It's raining and I'm about to get wet on my plod.  It'll still be great 

JJ, depends what you need it for - Blogger is fine for me and I can see all the stats that Derek mentions too.  I love checking my page views (1500 last month) and seeing the countries where people are registered, plus the sites that have links to mine, as it spurs me on to keep updating my page.  Typepad is another favourite amongst bloggers.

Derek, are you doing the Santa Dash in Liverpool this year?  I know that Alan Rothwell, the Race Director wants to get the world record.

20/11/2012 at 10:30

Morning Redhead, hope you didn't get too wet.

Yes that is one I usually do although I wimped out a couple of years ago when I looked out of the front door and saw ice on the road. I will be lining up with the eldest son for the santa dash ( nearer the front this time ) and then lining up with the grandson for the mini dash afterwards. He is just turned 4 and we did 'run to that tree' in a couple of parks in the summer. The amazing thing about being 4 is that he stops out of breath but has a recovery time of about 10 seconds before running again.

It will be a big ask on getting the record but it is an amazing spectacle to take part in and a good excuse to find a cafe in the Albert dock for a family fry up afterwards.

mcs
20/11/2012 at 10:32

Did an interval four mile session to work and managed a warm up 8.49 mile then three 7 min miles the quickest 7.21 though it was wet n windy......love it cold and wet makes you more determined to keep going......nice puddle story.
I use google sites its quite easy to use and you can probably make a site in a day......

20/11/2012 at 11:09

MCS, very impressive running there! Do you find that you run/race faster in the rain. Some of my best race times have been set in appalling conditions.

Red, its pouring with rain here too, and very windy. I'm hoping it eases up for tonights hill session.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.