'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

161,901 to 161,920 of 167,011 messages
mcs
20/11/2012 at 12:19

Run better in bad weather for sure. Blew up at Edinburgh Marathon as way too hot, never really run in warm weather up here so little experience of running in anything above about 12 degrees........wet at GNR this year and did a PB  1.42.31.......so guess you are right Terence........

20/11/2012 at 13:11

I prefer running in the cold too. We did hills last night TE, and all got very wet! I think everyone enjoyed it though. The Solent half is very popular with our club, not that I've done it yet (I really must). We had a drama this year as one of our chaps collapsed with dehydration near the finish, but luckily he has recovered well, and had many people rushing to his aid. He has since done the Lordshill 10 with no dramas!

Speedy man, mcs. Do you have showers at work? I guess the rain would cool you and rinse you quite well at the moment 

Derek, love the puddle story too, and your phrase 'rain coming down in javelins'. How nice to have 3 generations involved in a running outing. I love that my grandsonns just see a running grandma as perfectly normal.

mcs
20/11/2012 at 13:24

Showers at work D but this morning got in then realised, taken the towel home on Friday for a wash so paper towels it was ugh!!!!

20/11/2012 at 13:40

DianaD have you ever ran with your grandsons. I find the enthusiasm with everything at that age something that is magic. Once when 'running to the tree' in the park in the summmileer he told me that had had been running there before when he was with his mummy and daddy when he was the same age as his little sister. I said that when he was his little sister's age he had not yet started walking  and he gave me this condescending look and said that some babies can do that. He then picked two buttercups - one each because we had both won the race.

I find it great that yours see a running grandma as normal. They will be more likely to follow suit.

20/11/2012 at 14:08

Derek, some informal racing has gone on, but it would be fun to find something like the fun run you plan to do with your grandson. The boys are 7 and 3, so would need something quite short. The 7 year old comes up with stories like your grandson, and delivers them deadpan. He was very convincing about the mouse living under their stairs which came in from next door, and had become quite tame. The real give away was that daughter had never mentioned it!

20/11/2012 at 14:22

BIW, I was talking to Tony Hodge on Skype last night and he said that he would be taking on responsibility for a school in Ramstein. He said he thought that you also worked in Ramstein, and asked me to ask you if that was correct. It must be more than a year since Tony posted on here.

It's still pouring with rain here, and the wind is making it feel colder than the official temperature of 13 degrees.

20/11/2012 at 15:41

Hi Terry and everyone!   I'm still alive here in Germany and working hard with the MoD schools ahead of their closure when British Forces pull out of Germany over the next 6-8 years.   My running continues to go well and I've now run 35 full marathons but really enjoying the trail running scene in Paderborn in northern Germany.   I'm currently visiting Ramstein as mentioned by Terry (Above) and wondered if this is where you are IW?   It's a lovely area and I've just been for a swift 10K here before driving back north again tomorrow.   Hoping to get Terry out to Germany in the next 2 years.

Best Wishes everyone - I think I qualify to be on this forum?   I'm 51 on Friday!

mcs
20/11/2012 at 16:10

Bro in law just moved from Paderborn to Spain, lovely park above the city ran in after a dump load of snow two winters ago.......35 marathons is some achievement.....running home in the dark and wet and wind shortly.Joy.

20/11/2012 at 18:43

Hi MCS,

Yep, Paderborn is a grand city and the trail running particularly is great.   Thick fog and frosty in Ramstein so it will be a slow 280 mile drive north to Paderborn tomorrow!

20/11/2012 at 20:26

Evening all,

Hello Tony, nice to hear from you again.  I'm sure IW will be along soon.  Glad to hear you've past 50 now and you're ahead of me on the marathons as I'm only on 29 

Mcs, speedy boy!  LOL at the paper towel incident.

Derek, it's great that your grandson has taken to running with you and it sounds as if he thinks it's fun which is even better.

I didn't get wet on my run and was surprised that I was 5 minutes quicker than  usual despite having to walk up one of the really steep hills as my breathing was laboured.

20/11/2012 at 20:38

Carp day here and got too involved in other things to run .

Thanks for all the website comments. I will investigate.
JJ

20/11/2012 at 20:41

evening everyone 

went out for a gentle run this evening, it was really windy but good untill i went over, that will teach me to run in a dark road, didn't see the kerb and went flying into a brick wall, only hurt wrist and shoulder but the legs went undamaged, lets hope tomorrows run is better

20/11/2012 at 21:03

(((Sarnie))) ouch!  You need a headtorch.  Hope you aren't too sore.

20/11/2012 at 21:10

redhead, yeah i am gonna invest in one for off road but after tonight i might use it for road running aswell, i think i'm gonna be a bit sore in the morning, but my legs are unharmed which is the main thing

20/11/2012 at 21:35

Quite a lucky escape then, Sarnie. A couple of years ago I went flying (tripped on an uneven repair on a path) and sprained my ankle. No running for a month or two after that.

Out with the running club tonight, in conditions of luminosity varying from dim to pitch-black. Several of the RC members had head torches, and I think maybe I will add one to my Christmas wish-list. 5.17 miles.

21/11/2012 at 08:45

Morning all,

It's dark and gloomy with strong winds and rain.  Delightful!  I've delayed my run in the hope that there might be a break around lunchtime.........

21/11/2012 at 09:29

Morning,

The weather is the same here Red. I'll be going for a short run in the forest later, but may wish that I had worn waders.

Last nights club session was very tough comprising a long warm up of approximately 2.5 miles, lots of different drills, and then the main session of 4 hilly circuits of .75 mile with short recoveries between circuits. We then  jogged back to base and did plenty of stretching. Total mileage was 8.3, and we had heavy rain and strong winds throughout. 

21/11/2012 at 10:12

Well done TE, in those tough conditions. It's looking brighter now, so maybe you'll be lucky later Red.

Ouch sarnie, not nice, and it shakes you up too. I love my head torch, and pack it for holidays too, as we like to explore in the evenings, and some places aren't at all well lit. We found it useful for the coastal walk to the next village in Tenerife where there were several good restaurants.

Grandson's swimming lesson went very well yesterday - he's improving fast at the moment, and just waiting for a space on the next class up. No sporting endeavours for me, but it will be 400m reps with the club tonight.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
21/11/2012 at 13:53

Hi Tony - not in Ramstein, I work down the road a bit in Kaiserslautern. Lovely countryside all around here, the Pfalzerwald forest stretches about 40 square kilometers and we live just on the edge of it. Can be out on the trails for hours and hardly see a soul - just have to be wary of the wild boar. The authorities say they have culled 60,000 this year alone - they breed like fire and if they come out of the forest onto farmland or into gardens there's not much left except thick mud. I've luckily not met any face to face but have had a few packs run across my path! Usually they stay out of the way of humans.

Edited: 21/11/2012 at 13:54
21/11/2012 at 14:55

Thanks Diana.

I set off for a forest run this morning at around 11.00 and it wasn't raining. However, once I got into the forest, the rain came down in stair rods, and the wind was near to gail force. The wind was whipping the rain onto my head and into my face and it felt like hail stones. The forest is really flooded now in the fields and trails and all the ditches are flowing with rain water. The Beaulieu River looked as if it was about to burst its banks and flow over the road. If this weather keeps up, the forest will be a no go area for running. I don't fancy running miles through deep mud and water. I just ran 4 miles, and that was more than sufficient in the conditions. One bonus of the rain, however, was that it washed all the mud off the soles of my trainers, so I only had to wipe off the mud from the tops and sides. Ironically, the rain has now stopped and the sun is shining.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.