'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

161,921 to 161,940 of 166,378 messages
21/11/2012 at 09:29

Morning,

The weather is the same here Red. I'll be going for a short run in the forest later, but may wish that I had worn waders.

Last nights club session was very tough comprising a long warm up of approximately 2.5 miles, lots of different drills, and then the main session of 4 hilly circuits of .75 mile with short recoveries between circuits. We then  jogged back to base and did plenty of stretching. Total mileage was 8.3, and we had heavy rain and strong winds throughout. 

21/11/2012 at 10:12

Well done TE, in those tough conditions. It's looking brighter now, so maybe you'll be lucky later Red.

Ouch sarnie, not nice, and it shakes you up too. I love my head torch, and pack it for holidays too, as we like to explore in the evenings, and some places aren't at all well lit. We found it useful for the coastal walk to the next village in Tenerife where there were several good restaurants.

Grandson's swimming lesson went very well yesterday - he's improving fast at the moment, and just waiting for a space on the next class up. No sporting endeavours for me, but it will be 400m reps with the club tonight.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
21/11/2012 at 13:53

Hi Tony - not in Ramstein, I work down the road a bit in Kaiserslautern. Lovely countryside all around here, the Pfalzerwald forest stretches about 40 square kilometers and we live just on the edge of it. Can be out on the trails for hours and hardly see a soul - just have to be wary of the wild boar. The authorities say they have culled 60,000 this year alone - they breed like fire and if they come out of the forest onto farmland or into gardens there's not much left except thick mud. I've luckily not met any face to face but have had a few packs run across my path! Usually they stay out of the way of humans.

Edited: 21/11/2012 at 13:54
21/11/2012 at 14:55

Thanks Diana.

I set off for a forest run this morning at around 11.00 and it wasn't raining. However, once I got into the forest, the rain came down in stair rods, and the wind was near to gail force. The wind was whipping the rain onto my head and into my face and it felt like hail stones. The forest is really flooded now in the fields and trails and all the ditches are flowing with rain water. The Beaulieu River looked as if it was about to burst its banks and flow over the road. If this weather keeps up, the forest will be a no go area for running. I don't fancy running miles through deep mud and water. I just ran 4 miles, and that was more than sufficient in the conditions. One bonus of the rain, however, was that it washed all the mud off the soles of my trainers, so I only had to wipe off the mud from the tops and sides. Ironically, the rain has now stopped and the sun is shining.

21/11/2012 at 20:54

You are really having some Weather down there in the sarf'east, aren't you? Or should I say in the Sarf, the New Forest is more-or-less in the middle, I think.

TE, that was a heavy session with the club.

Diana - what sort of head torch is yours? I want something as light-weight as possible, as i don't really like wearing things on my head. 

BIW - there's an outlet near here which sells wild boar as meat. Never tried it, though.

21/11/2012 at 21:19

Columba, yes, this has been the worst weather for years and it's not even officially winter yet. The club session was really tough, but you only get out of training what you put into it.

21/11/2012 at 22:33

Just finished MrsJJ's tax return for last year.
Ran 5 miles this morning in the cold, rain and gale force wind. The return journey was as slow as the outward stretch because I was bushed after running 2.5 miles into the gale. Dog walked this afternoon in similar conditions.

sarnie
Tough call. Hope the damage is superficial

Columba
Your bad weather arrives Thursday. Should be dry in the sarfeast.

TE
Great training session. I love reading about 'em!

IW
I've met wild boars and wild bores.
JJ

22/11/2012 at 09:31

JJ thanks, I'll continue posting my sessions. Unfortunately, I'll have to give tonights sprints session, which is 3 sets of 5 x 30 seconds a miss, as I am having my flu jab this afternoon, and it is not advisable to run afterwards. I will, however, go for a run this morning.

The forecast today is for up to 60 mph winds by lunchtime, so I'll get my run out of the way, before I get blown away!

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
22/11/2012 at 13:38

Columba - wild boar meat is very tasty, it isn't at all like pork, it's darker meat more like beef. Many restaurants here serve it, and you can usually buy it frozen from supermarkets. Traditionally served with dumplings and cranberry relish.

22/11/2012 at 14:04

Ran 5 miles this morning with no rain, but the start of the very strong winds. I ran in road trainers as I had approx 50/50 road and grass. The grass was very soggy and I made the mistake of deciding to run in the tracks of heavy vehicles which had been used earlier for work on the overhead pylons. The surface was black and hid deep mud underfoot. I nearly lost a trainer twice in the mud and when I left the track, it was onto waterlogged grass. Conditions were really tough, but I pushed the pace hard throughout, and in the circumstances, was pleased with my time of 45.24.

I'm now "looking forward" to venturing out again soon for my flu jab.

22/11/2012 at 16:54

Columba I have a Petzl head-torch. I'm not sure of the model, as I've had it almost 6 years now. It has 3 brightness settings plus a flashing setting, and is a lot lighter than many of my club mates torches.

TE, I was lucky with training last night, as by 7, it was dry and pretty still. Quite nippy though. We did a bit over a mile warm-up, then 8 x 400m at about 1:45, then about a mile cool-down. It was a tough but enjoyable session. Those vehicles really churn the trails up. I imagine they're doing timber work, as there are a lot of stacked tree-trunks around.

22/11/2012 at 17:10

Well we've certainly got the winds here today and they are getting stronger by the minute!  I've given up putting the plant pots upright.  Did 6 miles this morning and struggled in the wind but at least it wasn't raining.

22/11/2012 at 20:17

Diana, that sounds like a good session, 1.45 is a good time for 400m and to do 8 of them is very impressive.

Red, the wind here is getting stronger all the time and I'm glad that I wasn't out with the club, in fact, I wonder whether anyone bothered to turn up. The Coaches are very reliable though and always turn up, just in case anyone else does. Well done for your 6 miles in the wind.

I had my flu jab this afternoon and the nurse asked me whether I would also like a pneumonia jab, which would be a one off, and last a life time. I decided to go ahead with it, and had the jab in the other arm. I wasn't aware that there were jabs for pneumonia, and they certainly aren't advetised.

22/11/2012 at 21:12

Had to do two dog walks today so no running.

TE
Pneumonia jabs are new this year.
JJ

22/11/2012 at 21:13

evening everyone

well the weather i hate to run in is wind and heat and tonight it was soo windy, i didn't enjoy this evenings run at all, the winds are really strong tonight and it felt like the wind was constantly blowing against me, but its all part of the training, no runs now till sunday and hoping to maybe do around 7-8,

Terence i work in a pharmacy and we do flu jabs and i have not heard of pneumonia jabs, i will ask when this was available to the public

22/11/2012 at 22:14

JJ - how right you were about the bad weather reaching here today; it was stair-rods, I got soaked in the 30 seconds it took me to get from the front door into the car. Sheets of water all over the roads, and in town I saw water coming down a flight of steps like a temporary waterfall, and a shopkeeper whose shop is at the bottom of a slope desperately sweeping water out of his shop, only it had nowhere else to go.

Has now calmed down to steady rain.

Been swimming. Not in the streets, though I might well have.

JJ, Are you sure pneumonia jabs have only just arrived? I'm sure my mother had one, and that would be a couple of years ago now.

23/11/2012 at 09:42

Morning all,

Thankfully the wind and rain have abated and I didn't get wet or blown away on my plod earlier   Loads of branches down everywhere and torrents of water running off the fields and along the lanes.  My feet got very wet!

Pneumonia jabs?  Crikey, I hadn't heard of them before either.

mcs
23/11/2012 at 11:17

Got soaked to the skin literally last night running home, the wettest ever....had to strip at the door before being allowed in! Never seen as much water.........bootiful today looking forward to a plod at lunchtime. Happy weekend all.

All experience is an arch to build upon.

23/11/2012 at 12:39

I can see the sunshine streaming in through the window, A bit soon after my dinner, but I dont want to miss it so I think I will head off down the park for a run before the sun changes its mind. We had a bit of rain yesterday but nothing like the bad weather others on here were getting  so musn't complain.

Funny thing with the weather though, I remember some years ago that come the end of September, shorts would usually be exchanged for track suit  but it seems to be getting later nowadays and, getting towards the end of November, it is still shorts weather.

Good racing anyone out this weekend.

23/11/2012 at 14:20

Derek, last winter I didn't change into tights at all and stuck with my shorts.  This year I wore tights for the Beachy Head marathon in October but have reverted to shorts.

Mark I hope you didn't do a strip in the street! 

I'm doing boring accounts stuff and want to play out instead!

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.