'Mature' runners.

Older runners meet here.

161,941 to 161,960 of 167,165 messages
24/11/2012 at 09:31

Morning all,

The weather peeps said the rain and winds would hit us around 9am.  They lied - I got wet much earlier than that!  The rain has now settled in for the day, or possibly for the weekend, but the wind hasn't arrived yet. 

Stay safe everyone.

24/11/2012 at 09:36

Diana - thanks for head-torch info.

Yesterday was lovely and sunny (following the previous day's monsoon-type downpours) and I had to go to the next town down the road (there is a mobile phone shop there, but not where I live, and my phone has appparently given up). So I decided to run there, rather than from my front door.  Worked out a route the first half of which was alongisde the Wye (part of the Wye Valley Walk), returning along a little country road. The Wye hadn't quite flooded (it often does, in that area) but was full to the brim and galloping along. Route turned out to be very wet and muddy, - in some places I was slithering down slopes hanging onto tree-trunks - not quite what I'd had in mind, and the worst of it was I was wearing Adizeros though Innov-8s would have been more appropriate. Well, I have to go back next week (no PAYG phones currently in stock) so might do the same run again, in Innov-8s. Just over 6 miles. Was meant to have been a LSR; - not very L, very S indeed, and a lot of it was not R but slipping, sliding, walking, clambering and once retracing steps (thought I'd found a drier path but it turned out to be going nowhere).

24/11/2012 at 09:37

This morning there is a hard frost. Supposed to be rain later, - hope the frost thaws first or conditions for driving, running or even walking are going to be rather hazardous.

24/11/2012 at 11:04

You're right, TE. There were a few drops of rain as we set off last night, but otherwise dry. I really enjoyed myself, despite two stretches of ankle deep mud, and the group getting slightly lost for a bit! We ended up doing 7.39 miles. The pace was very variable - I had 4 sub 10 minute miles, and one mile took us 12:11! Probably the one where we were slightly lost and "running" through mud and long grass!

Your run sounds scenic but challenging Columba; definitely one for trail shoes.

Mild but very wet here. I think I'll get on with some indoor tasks.

24/11/2012 at 16:58

Red, I don't think anyone will avoid a soaking today, as I believe the heavy rain is country wide.

Columba, your run was very evenful. Thankfully, you didn't slide into the river Wye!

Diana, your run sounds like our 10 mile forest run last Sunday. One of the reasons that I love forest runs is that pace doesn't matter; the important thing being to  get stuck in and battle the conditions.

I'm afraid that I decided to avoid the forest this morning, owing to the forecast being for occasional gale force winds, so I just did an 8 mile road run. As it happened, the strong winds didn't materialise, so I could have run in the forest after all, and ran the 12 miles that I had intended.

24/11/2012 at 21:05

Been with daughter and new grandaughter all day. Junior was fed wearing a little bib with "If you think I'm cute wait until you see my grandad" embroidered on it.

Columba
Maybe the pneumonia jabs have been around for a year or two but this is the first year that my surgery have offered them with the free Over 60s flu treatment.
JJ

24/11/2012 at 21:07

Rain and gale force winds coming up.
I may use it to get my 2011/2012 tax return done.
JJ

24/11/2012 at 21:26

Forecast says dry tomorrow morning here in London, I might get out

25/11/2012 at 09:19

Bright and sunny at the moment, but heavy rain forecast later. According to the long range weather forecast, the severe freezing weather warned by certain newspapers is not likely. It didn't however, make any mention of rainfall.

25/11/2012 at 17:33

Diana - getting lost with a group is OK, even fun; getting lost on one's own, rather nerve-racking.

JJ - I love that bib! Think I'll make one for my grand-daughter, - with "grandma" on it, of course. 

Re the pneumonia jab, - Welsh Assembly rules may be different from whatever pertains in England. Nobody pays for prescriptions in Wales; though that will probably change.

Today's forecast was fine first thing and rain later, so I borrowed Redhead's sensible hat, hopped out of bed and ran 4.78 miles before breakfast, with the sun rising into a blue sky.

A little rain materialised later, but not the bucketloads we were getting a few days ago.

25/11/2012 at 17:47

Evening all,

Well I got blown about and drenched on my run this morning!  The wind was horrendous last night but thankfully we didn't seem to have any damage across the land other than a few dead branches down and a large pot blown over the on the patio.  The horses have spent most of the day peeping out of their field shelters.  Very wise.

JJ, I love the bib too!

26/11/2012 at 00:55

Found a  santadash to do on sunday.

I got a good time and a good position for me because the course was at least 1/2 a mile short of the advertised 5k and it was in the main children who were high on enthusiasm but had not tried running before. 

While one part of me might think this is 'not a proper race' the other bit of me is thinking it was a brilliant day with a bit of autumn sunshine in nice surroundings running next to the beach where everyone seemed to be enjoying themselves and maybe more races ought to be like this. 

The make you smile bit with the race though was the start where the local mayor was due to set the runners off. A good photo opportunity had him standing in front of the runners who were lined up on a flight of steps but he forgot to move the runners to the start line and started the race off with the runners  lined up behind each other and jumping off the steps.

Hope the weather picks up for people in diffrent parts of the country for the next week..

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
26/11/2012 at 06:40

Windy weather for us yesterday but very mild, about 15c. Today we have rain but not anything like the torrents you have been having. It is still very mild for the time of year. We did our usual Sunday routine of swimming in the morning, the pool closes at 1300 on a Sunday and we have found that it isn't crowded after about 11:30. In any case we use the "sport swimmers" lanes 1 and 2, everyone  there knows to swim up lane 2 and back down lane 1 so nobody gets in anyone else's way. Swam 2400m and John did 2800m. On the way back home he got out with Charly to walk back through the woods. I drove home, and walked back with Nemo to meet them.

24 days until I can start running again! Counting down now......

26/11/2012 at 09:21

DH, the Santa Dash sounded like good fun. It's a great way to get children into running

BIW, you will be starting running just in time for Christmas. I imagine you will run Christmas Day and that will be a great present for yourself!

It's rained heavily all night, but has eased up a little at the moment. Drivers are being warned not to drive through standing water and over 700 have had to be rescued.

I will run in the forest later this morning, but how far I go depends on the conditions.

mcs
26/11/2012 at 09:40

Sounds like you all survived the weekend!!! Rained here all Saturday evening through the night and into Sunday am. Went for a nice long run in the afternoon sun, with my youngest on her bike she did well carrying my water and chatting to me all the way we did 10 miles at 8.40ish which is still abit quick I need to slow down on my longer runs, I tend to run them too quick always have done and it aint no good for races when it comes to the second half or the last six!! The river around Bakewell has burst its banks into fields but the town is okay so far.  A few cows looking as thought they might get washed away if it continues but just spitting today so not to bad.
Dont be afraid to go out on a limb thats where the fruit is.

26/11/2012 at 09:48

Morning all,

Who'd have thought we could have so much rain again overnight?!  There is a small patch of blue appearing at last (we've had 2 beautiful rainbows this morning) so I'm hooping to gte out for a run soon.

Derek, LOL at the poor mayor!

IW, excellent news 

26/11/2012 at 10:43

Love the sound of the bib, JJ.

Derek, I agree- nice to have a 'race' that is all about fun, and the joy of running, which we sometimes lose sight of.

BIW - counting down! You're cetainly keeping up your fitness with the swimming.

mcs, so nice that you can combine running with spending time with your daughter, and she gets a good cycle ride in too.

I went out for my run when it looked a bit brighter yesterday, but that didn't last! As it was so wet, I stuck to gravel trails in the forest, and managed exactly 7 miles. I then watched a very exciting final Grand Pric of the season. Couldn't help feeling for Alonso, but what a recovery by Vettel after a 180 degree spin in the early stages.

Columba, I wouldn't attempt forest trails in the dark on my own - I really lose my bearings after a few twists and turns.

Edited: 26/11/2012 at 10:44
26/11/2012 at 12:35

I ran.  I got wet.  No surprise really.

26/11/2012 at 16:25

The rain actually stopped just before I set off for my run, although it had belted down all night. I did run in the forest, but only for 5 miles. I quite enjoyed squelching through the grass and mud, as it avoids the pounding of tarmac and also helps with strength and endurance.

Bionic Ironwolf    pirate
26/11/2012 at 19:45

TE - I shall indeed run on Christmas day, happy to be able to keep the tradition going. For many years now I've put the dinner in the oven and gone out for a run.

Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.